internet vs. phonebook

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Name
I'm Rick James
As a customer of other companies I ALWAYS use the intronet instead of the PB, my PB just goes in the recycle bin. No use for it. I think the older crowd are more likely to use the PB.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Insert Name said:
As a customer of other companies I ALWAYS use the intronet instead of the PB, my PB just goes in the recycle bin. No use for it. I think the older crowd are more likely to use the PB.
I dunno, Brent. I sadly just turned 58 and I doubt I crack a phone book twice a year.

Steve "Older Crowd" Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS And I am far from being an "early adopter" techy type of guy!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I just turned 53 and like Steve almost never use a phone book.

It's too easy and faster to Google it from my PC in the office or Droid when I'm on the run.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I think it depends on the location you are in.... About 80% of my calls come from the phonebook! I am number 1 on all search engines just about.. I am in Kentucky.. I think the state of Kentucky is about 10 years behind other states with technology and such.. And Lee I know you will not agree with me! But I have lived in other states. this one is way behind

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think the state of Kentucky is about 10 years behind other states with technology and such
Hard to believe anyone could be more behind the times than the state of Kansas. :shock:

I took my wife out to breakfast a few weeks ago and a group of older guys were sitting at the table across from us and they were talking about GPS's and where to get the best deal on one. A guy who looked late 70's early 80's said Overstock.com.

I looked at my wife and asked if she heard that and she laughed and said yes. We were both shocked, not at all what we expected some older gentleman to say.

Amazing what technology has done for us all.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Well of course it depends on how much presence you have in either to make an edumacated guess.

Phone books are funny...less and less guys are in them...so the ones that are, get the lions share of the customers using them.

it's 100% internet for me because I don't like to pay the high prices of phone books and I sure don't like their business ethics. Sleeze balls...they ARE what Odin thinks most online advertisers are. lol

But don't worry they're bringin the sleeze to the internet...don't ever believe them when they give you stats....because stats reflect what they want them to reflect.

Internet is big, inexpensive, instant, constantly updating etc...why would you use a phone books that could have info a year old or older???

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
And now to answer the question. lol

I would say 90% internet to 10% phone books......all things being as equal as possible.

Justin M

Do they still put those things out? I am not in the phone book. 100 percent internet. Your phone book money would be better spent on SEO or Pay Per Click. And stay away from the online phone books unless it is a free listing. They want to charge $100 a month on average for minimal traffic. Maybe 5-10 visitors a year in my experience.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Lets see would I rather pay 15 bucks a month and have top placement on the Internet that has lots of usage and brings in great clients that are not price shoppers or pay $1000 a month to get an ad that is burred in the Yellow Pages stuck in someones drawer?

I guess, I think you should pick the Yellow Pages if you can't figure this out.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I'm with Joey on this one, surprised at the number of people that say YP when i ask where they got the business number from. Close to 80% YP 20% internet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jim Morrison said:
I'm with Joey on this one, surprised at the number of people that say YP when i ask where they got the business number from. Close to 80% YP 20% internet.

If you dial in your net listing you could likely flip those numbers.

danielc said:
A lot of poor folks use the yp.

It's all about the price with the yp.

Even po' folks have computers and broadband.

With the right Internet presence you can almost eliminate price shopping.

One exception for the Yellow pages V/S internet debate is that the YPs can still be very good for businesses offering emergency services and pizza.

Name
Lee Stockwell
joeynbgky said:
I think it depends on the location you are in.... About 80% of my calls come from the phonebook! I am number 1 on all search engines just about.. I am in Kentucky.. I think the state of Kentucky is about 10 years behind other states with technology and such.. And Lee I know you will not agree with me! But I have lived in other states. this one is way behind

Hey I moved here from Michigan as a senior in High school, and just had to shut my mouth..lol What a bunch of funny-talking rednecks (I thought).

Actually there's not a nickel's worth of difference between western KY and the rest of the midwest. (and Murray is better than Bowling Green I hear)

:-) Lee

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Repeat customer 75%
Website 7%
Unidentified 7%
Referral 6%
Saw Norm's truck 1%
Angies List 1%
Yellow Pages 0%

This is my 2010 client source report. YP brought me a whoppin 3 customers in 2010. The previous owner paid the YP homage for 30 years and this is how they treat you? Solid fact. Nuff said, I guess it depends where you are.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Still YP here. Yellowbook is real godo here. and a local directory. I am on top of the internet advertising and am #1 everywhere.. my business just doesnt come from it here! I wish it did

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It never fails....as soon as someone posts a thread about the YPs....Someone schedules from an old book.

Go Figure.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
joeynbgky said:
Still YP here. Yellowbook is real godo here. and a local directory. I am on top of the internet advertising and am #1 everywhere.. my business just doesnt come from it here! I wish it did

You mean I did all that work for nuthin? I'm tryin Joey.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
joeynbgky said:

Joey, Get more google ranked back links. (you have very few) and double or more your reviews to get more relevancy and to get on top of the fold and you'll likely see more Internet clients. (Atleast for "carpet cleaning" , "furniture cleaning, "pet odor removal" you are not on the top of the fold)

joe harper

Name
joe harper
AmazInG...."sad"

BLinD LeadInG the BLIND...."agaIn"

BECAUSE....you cannot AFFORD..to advertise in the Y-Pages..."you KnoCk-iT"

What a BUNCH OF BROKE-DICKS....!!!!!!!!!!

You ChEaP ...losers...advertise as CHEEP as you can.."BECAUSE"..it is all you can AFFORD..!

"I am SURE... you ALL drive KIA'S...Because MERCEDE'S..are a BAD VALUE...!!! "geeze"

"YOU tight bastUrDs..".....Will shop for a HOUR...to save a NICKLE on a 50 cent ...O-RING"..!

"I have come to the CONCLUSION.." "That if you spend more than an hour a DAY ...on the
boards.."........YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS....!!!!!!!!

ps...Dave & Brian....?.....HTF..can you guy's SPEND 6 hours a DAY..on here..? And have ANY
kind of BusInEss..."WOW..!"

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
joeynbgky said:
Im just talking about the kentucky market not nashville brian

I've got you on page one of Bowling Green too....Of course you are top of the page with your own listing...the one I did for you is about mid page or so.

You should be getting something from the internet with the kind of presence you have.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:
AmazInG...."sad"

BLinD LeadInG the BLIND...."agaIn"

BECAUSE....you cannot AFFORD..to advertise in the Y-Pages..."you KnoCk-iT"

What a BUNCH OF BROKE-DICKS....!!!!!!!!!!

You ChEaP ...losers...advertise as CHEEP as you can.."BECAUSE"..it is all you can AFFORD..!

"I am SURE... you ALL drive KIA'S...Because MERCEDE'S..are a BAD VALUE...!!! "geeze"

"YOU tight bastUrDs..".....Will shop for a HOUR...to save a NICKLE on a 50 cent ...O-RING"..!

"I have come to the CONCLUSION.." "That if you spend more than an hour a DAY ...on the
boards.."........YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS....!!!!!!!!

ps...Dave & Brian....?.....HTF..can you guy's SPEND 6 hours a DAY..on here..? And have ANY
kind of BusInEss..."WOW..!"

I've spent pleanty of money on the yp books...and still could.

I suppose I could wipe my ass with 100 dollar bills too you crazy old coot. :roll:

My business IS spending all day on the computer...I just come to Mikey's every once in a while to see what's going on.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Harpo.

Did 2 jobs today $900 total. Both from the net.

Started at 9:30
Done by 2:00

I paid the Yellow pages $1000 a month for 20 years.

Now i get more work and better clients for $15 a month.

Works for me.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave Yoakum said:
Harpo.

Did 2 jobs today $900 total. Both from the net.

Started at 9:30
Done by 2:00

I paid the Yellow pages $1000 a month for 20 years.

Now i get more work and better clients for $15 a month.

Works for me.

WOW.....!

2 jobs a daY...."You are "kiCkIng ASS".."... :roll:

And ...Who GAS...what you make... :oops:

PHRED....is deaD-On...When he points-out....the "BovInE DunG"...smell in your post...!

JUST DOESN'T ADD-UP... :cry:

Jim Morrison

Name
jim

Ditto Joey

Think a lot of people are a few years behind the technology curve where I live. Folks moving here from bigger cities google everything but not a lot of service businesses have web presence locally. YP still works for now, sure that will change in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom