Interview With Dana Kothrade 10-15-08

David Gelinas

A few areas we have found Fiber Based pads to work well in are:
1) Along the edges of floor, especially doing along toe kicks under kitchen cabinets, to prevent leaving any tooling marks or inconsistencies in the final appearance. They will really blend in areas where you used different types/styles of diamonds on different types/equipment/cutting speeds; i.e., the field apposed to the edges of the floor.
2) We had a trav floor in and condo that had changed hands. This particular floor had a great deal of natural texture to it; it was kind of a cleft texture. When they moved out the furniture you could see wear areas in two sections. If we used traditional diamonds we would have taken out all of the texture and made the areas smooth, if we used powders it would have been slow and inconsistent. With the Fiber Based pads we were able to match factory appearance and the floor came out great.

D

DANA KOTHRADE

David Gelinas said:
That’s way cool, there aren’t a lot of intentionally pillowed floors out there now days (just poorly flattened ones). If the lower edge is still good than it wouldn’t seem you need to get down that low into the stone I wouldn’t think would you? It would seem that the only question would be if the MPS would match factory. Dana that would also go along with picture framing, how well do the MPs blend in with factory when it comes to picture framing?

NO PICTURE FRAMING!!!

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!!

David Gelinas

Do you recommend running MPs on high or ultra high speed equipment? And if so have you found that there is an issue with color transfer on high spots?

Mikey P

Administrator
Like I told David earlier today, we would LOVE to have him back as a Moderator in out Hard Surface room here.

Dana, if you would like to help out here just let me know.

D

DANA KOTHRADE

David Gelinas said:
Dana, what do you see a job like you just outlined being billed at per sq ft?
1. Sweep the area very well
2. Apply our stone cleaner mixed with hot water
3. 30 minute dwell time if extremely soiled
4. Rinse with low pressure ( barely enough to make your spinner turn

What happens next depends on the desired look...

Honed dull? 200 grit monkey pad

Satin Hone? 800

Polished? Go up to 11,000

So many variables there...

Region
Honed or polished
How many square feet
Sealed, enhanced or none
Who's selling the job? An experienced pro or a newbie?

I'd say 2.00/ft for the newbie in a saturated market and upto 5.00/ft. or more per foot for a pro with education and sales training like we offer (Thats for residential work)

D

DANA KOTHRADE

David Gelinas said:
Do you recommend running MPs on high or ultra high speed equipment? And if so have you found that there is an issue with color transfer on high spots?

No, high speed machines will burn the pads.

Cimex or Orbital is as fast as you need to go

David Gelinas

When using these “Fiber Based” types of pads, actually the “Fine”, I did a side by side comparison where I ran them wet in one section and dry in the adjacent section. The area I did wet came out better, the dry area after working it very aggressively came out almost as good but it took comparatively longer. Should the MPs be run wet or dry, is one better than the other?

D

DANA KOTHRADE

Bob Foster said:
Many of us clean tile and grout with a turbo hybrid.

What do you use?

Have you modified any of your tile and grout cleaning tools?

Do you have any better tools? Any good stuff you see in Europe that should be over here that might be better?
Turbo works great for cleaning, i prefer a jetted sqweege wand for stone restoration.

We have a crazy tool for serious cleaning of edges on tile or stone. Cleans 1 ft per second to within 1/8 inch of baseboards at 300-1200 psi. with no aggitation needed...

GO TO WWW.INNOVATIVESURFACESOLUTIONS.COM

LOOK IN THE STORE
ITS CALLED THE EDGE
WE USED TO SELL THEM FOR $997 BUT THE PRICE HAS COME DOWN DRAMATICALLY WITH THE INCREASE IN SALES.

David Gelinas

The last 3 Q's I can think of and i need to get to bed (East Coast)

How does cost of use compare between the MPs and traditional diamonds?

Do you need to powder polish calcium based stones after running the last MP grit?

What is the last grit in the sequence?

Mikey P

Administrator
I can answer that David.

WET!

The reason OP machines work better then the standard 175 is obviously the added agitation but also the the orbital action keeps the water UNDER the machine rather than all over the base boards.

D

DANA KOTHRADE

David Gelinas said:
The last 3 Q's I can think of and i need to get to bed (East Coast)

How does cost of use compare between the MPs and traditional diamonds?

Do you need to powder polish calcium based stones after running the last MP grit?

What is the last grit in the sequence?

Cost is typically between 1 and 5 cents per ft on the Monkey Pads
No powders needed
11,000 grit

Great talking with you David!
Great questions

Get some sleep!

David Gelinas

Gentlemen, thank you for all your input I’ve really enjoyed this tonight. It’s hard to beat a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Pandora Radio and talking/typing stone but its an hour and a half past my bedtime. Dana thanks again for all of your help in answering some of my questions. As I mentioned I’ve been doing a lot of testing lately with these types of pads, some of which for the largest abrasive manufacturer in the world. I look forward to talking with you more in the future, I’ve really like some of the things you’ve said. If you want to get me directly you can at my office, 727-328-1400, or shoot me an email at David@1800MARBLEGUY.COM

Thanks again & keep in touch,
David Gelinas
Marbleguy

Good night

Mikey P

Administrator
Dana,

Any idea just how many Carpet Cleaners venture into Tile and Grout and then give it up the first or second time they acid etch a marble or stainless fridge or get one too many call back about how the floor got dirty again the next week?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Dana, when you mention cimex, are you speaking of the carpet cleaning one (400rpm) or the stone one (880rpm) ?

Also, I can't find the edge machine per your instructions.

thanks,
Albert

RickL

Dana the use of the Cimex is great news however I don't see any pads for the Cimex on your Website. One of the problems I've had with making pads for the Cimex from rotary pads is the
punch out center portion of the rotary pads doesn't allow a 17" pad to make a complete 8"
pad for the cimex.
Are your pads complete without the punchout? Or are you going to offer a "kit" of grits like the one for $375 on your website in the Cimex 8" size?

Thanks for your time Great Hotseat and can't wait to try your product!!

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Sorry, about not being able to participate last night.... Will the pads function properly at 1500 RPMS?

RickL

DANA KOTHRADE said:
[quote="David Gelinas":q4y5pkxk]Do you recommend running MPs on high or ultra high speed equipment? And if so have you found that there is an issue with color transfer on high spots?

No, high speed machines will burn the pads.

Cimex or Orbital is as fast as you need to go[/quote:q4y5pkxk]

Jeremy I think this answers your question

Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom