Interview With Thom Fielding 1-17-07

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks for joining us this evening.
I am excited to have Thom on the Hot Seat with us tonight. I can only imagine that a guy with Thom's back ground and place in our industry has lots of great information for us all, regardless if you own one of his machines.

I want to thank Thom a lot for being the first "manufacturer" to step up to the plate here. It took some courage to be the first, that's for sure. The outcome of this interview can go either way in regards to promoting his company so I hope the members here respect the fact that he is willing to take that chance to help this Board grow.

Jim Pemberton was nice enough to write up a little biography on Thom so we'll start with that.

I've known Thom Fielding since he was "just a welder" at Prochem. Of all of the employees there, he was one of the few who would socialize with the distributors at the business meetings and social functions. He'd ask questions on how to do his job better, and what issues we had with the equipment.

As he rose up the ranks to production manager, I found that I would bypass the customer service and engineers and go right to him with complaints and problems. He was also a soft touch for anyone who was broke down and needed a part. He'd take parts off of "sold machines" and delay an order if he knew someone needed something in an emergency. I can only imagine the abuse he took from management for that behavior!

When he started his new venture, he was just supplying parts and service advice to people. Even when he began to sell machines, he and his staff continued to give service advice on the phone to people who did not own his equipment, even if they weren't placing any order.

An interesting note is that he started his machine sales in a bit of a different way: He sold himself to distributors first, not carpet cleaners. In fact, more specifically, he sold himself to the REPAIRMEN of distributors first.

When he designed his first unit, he came to the service departments that had the best reputation and the best mechanics and consulted those mechanics about what would make a unit more durable and easy to work on. He also talked to carpet cleaners, but he didn't start out trying to make it the top performing product (case in point: early heat issues), but an easier to work on, more durable, more reliable unit than most of the slide in models available at that time.

Thom was always, and still is, a very driven, task oriented person. That means he'll do what he thinks is right, no matter the consequences to himself. Like many such people, he doesn't always warm up the crowd quickly, but nearly 10 years of knowing him he has never let one of my clients down, or myself. I just wouldn't appoint him as ambassador to the UN, or ask him to guard the prisoners after a battle.

Now lets get on with the "Pre Asked" questions...

Mikey P

Administrator
I would like to ask him what his educational background (ex. does he have a BS in Engineering) is and who his previous employer was before he joined Pro Chem.

Actually, my engineering background is in Metallurgy. After college in (in Minnesota where I grew up) the early 1980’s there was very little employment available with the recession, so I went to work as a welder fabricating products for a contractor for IBM , Control Data and 3M. When that ended, I worked welding ships at PSNS in Bremerton, WA., and then ships at Swan Island in Portland. Since I have held a job since I was 11, I won’t list the dock companies, resorts and pizza shops, etc. When my Grandfather died in Phoenix in 1985, I went to Phoenix to visit my Grandmother and went to work right away for Professional Chemical’s Corp., you guessed it, as a welder/fabricator.

How did you end up a manufacturer in this industry? What jobs did you have at Prochem before you left to start BlueLine?

After departing Prochem in 2001, I saw an opportunity to start fresh in the cleaning & restoration industry by providing parts and technical service to dealers and end users that required those services at that time. That ultimately led to the creation of our own line of products. As far as earlier positions goes, I was a welder, welding supervisor, production manager, purchasing manager and finally plant manager, equipment division. I also owned my own company at the time (Fielding Enterprises) that fabricated wands and other cleaning tools.

With the CRI "Seal of Approval",corporate buy outs, etc, is there still a place for innovators in our industry to enter the truck mount field? Would you do it today if you had to start from scratch like you did years ago?

Absolutely, there is still room for innovators. Although we will likely see further consolidation of operators, suppliers and manufacturers in our industry, competition is good for all of us. Though it’s a smaller industry than many others, the cleaning & restoration industry is more resilient, or bulletproof than others. I would not hesitate to start over again tomorrow, as good as this industry has been to me and my employees.

You have a partner who is well known in the industrial engine circle. What was it that made you partner with an engine distributor?

Money and smarts! (Hey, at least I got one of the two)! Really, when I began to plan for the start up of BLUEline Equipment Co., I realized that I was missing two key ingredients. One of them was financial abilities, and the other was financial advisership. (Not a word). Mark Loftin and I have a relationship that began as a supplier/customer relationship, and as we all hope will happen and often does, that turned into a friendship and later a partnership. I had been invited to Kohler Company and other manufacturers several times by Mark, and things clicked later. I needed someone really smart at running all aspects of day to day business, especially with general ledgers, inventories, profit & loss statements, etc. Trust was also a major factor here. I can honestly say that I could not have done better!

It seems you were able to capitalize on your relationships with existing distributors and service centers when you started BlueLine. Could you have gotten where you are if you hadn't had those relationships already?

Absolutely not. Again, trust is a major factor here. Although things were pretty lean in the beginning, it was the dealers that got us to where we are today and continue to fuel our dynamic growth cycles. When starting a new organization, nobody has ever heard of you. When you are able to drop names such as Pemberton’s, All Care, Jon Don, Preferred Chemicals, (just to name a few and without the intent of hurting feelings by leaving anyone out I will stop here) as your customers and business partners, you get NOTICED.

Why did you want to take the risk of being a manufacturer instead of remaining as an employee of such a large manufacturer?

Again, I wanted a family owned and operated company with a family focused atmosphere while offering world class products and services. Positively fostering creativity among our members has had an enormous positive impact on our company and growth.

How many Vortexes have you sold thus far and what do you need to sell to make it worth your while?

Around 20 so far, with orders pending for more. Obviously, we would like to manufacture and market as many as possible, but the 4 to 5 a month we are producing now has us quite pleased.

What are your plans and ideas about lowering the noise on the Vortex?

Our Engineering Department is working on a host of issues right now that deal with sounds from not only the truck and exhaust system, but the sounds from the components as well.

What did you see in Shawn and his machine that Power Clean, Pro Chem, Butler and Hydro Master didn’t? Why did you decide to take over his company?

Basically, we saw a good fit. As our press release stated, our customers had been asking us for some time that we come out with a DD or PTO model, and rather than joining the ranks of others offering basically the same thing, we wanted to set ourselves apart with the Rolex model of the industry.

In acquiring Vortex, you inherited a machine that has been "put together" by a few different manufacturers over time, each with some different designs and components. How far back are you going to go in support of "old machines"?

Great question. When we started BLUEline Equipment Co. in 2001, we had no machines or accessories. Our total offering at the time was parts and technical service. My vision for the company then was to assist in fixing ANY brand, make or model, and that vision holds true today. We measure each and every service call that come into to our factory, and I can assure you that we take far more technical service calls for competitive products then we do our own. The Vortex is no different. If we have the knowledge to fix it, we will as far back as possible. My theory that over time has proved correct, if you help them with whatever they have now, they will remember you when it’s time to purchase new equipment.

When you started Blue Line why did you make your machines look so similar to Pro Chemâ€Â

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Tommy

I just want to say hi to Tommy and thank him for everything he does for our customers and a big thanks for the fun times on the road.

Billy Starbucks

G

How did you go about recruiting people to join you. How many came from the ProChem days... and did you bring family into it..and how did it affect your relationship with family?

Mikey P

Administrator
Thom I personally feel that the biggest issue/drawback that a new buyer may have to buying their first Vortex is price followed by the noise.

Is there any possibility of a lower price as time goes on and you streamline the manufacture?

And what type of noise reduction tricks can we expect to see/hear on the machine that will be at Mikefest?

BLUELINE1

Hi Fred,

I have run dual wand with the 7000 V up to 500 feet with 2 of the 3 ports (2 inch) at a CAD day in Tucson, and the results were great.

Thom

Jimbo

Hi Thom...thanks for being here...Do you have a diesel-powered slide in unit? Does it produce the same heat as it's gas equivilant? Just Curious...and what is the price for the diesel slide-in? Jim in Reno

BLUELINE1

Hi Chad,

Actually, When our former employer left town, we were fortunate enough to have a fully trained workforce right here in Prescott, AZ. ready to go to work.

We simply put new equipment and a new timeclock on the wall and started over in the same building. We then moved to our new facility just 2 years ago.

As far as family is concerned, we all get along just fine, as a working family, but not all related.

Thom

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have had the opportunity to meet Thom on 2 different occasions. I was shocked that he would take the time to listen to little ol me. He really cared about what I had to say. I actually sent him and some of the other BLUEline crew an E-Mail 2 weeks ago. The E-mail was in your face about what I think the future of BL/Vortex should look like. Any other company would have been pissed and not cared about some stupid Idaho guy but the BL crew actually held a meeting and talked over my suggestions. They really do care about the future of carpet cleaning and our industry.

Thom was very excited when I told him about my big increase in business this year and wanted to know more. Nothing was talked about how BL could make me more money, it was all about me. ( Get the CEO of Hydramaster to even give you the time of day, not to mention talk a few hours with you) Thom has his personal phone # posted on his the BLUEline web site.

The second time we met we went out to dinner. I asked him about some of the people that have trashed on his company or some of his employees, fully expecting to get an ear full. Thom would not say anything negative about any one of these people. I don't care who you are it takes a stand up guy not to speak ill of the people that go way out of their way to lie and discredit you.

Fred Homan

How long for 1 hose with say 100ft of 2 1/2" for the first 100ft? Will the suck be the much better at the end?

G

I'd say it takes guts to come here after banning Mike from the vortex board. I can guess that it was your call and Shawn was only a messenger in the matter. How do you feel about it now?

Billy

Name
BH
What are your feelings on 2.5" hose & do you think the V can run 2 or 3 2.5" hoses?

BLUELINE1

Mikey,

Great question.

We are aware of a few folks being price sensitive when it comes to the V. As always, we try to purchase trucks and components as well as we possibly can. We are working on some things to bring costs (that lead to reduced pricing) to the table. As numbers increase (and they are!), we can buy better with volume.

Regarding noise, we have some things in the works as far as reduction go, but ya'll will just have to wait until we pull in to Aptos!

Thom

BLUELINE1

Jimbo,

We do have a slide in Diesel powered unit. It is the BlueWave D (diesel). It performs just like the gasoline powered version, and is just as hot, as we do not use the engine exhaust gases, but the engine coolant and blower exhaust gases. It retails for around 20K.

It is great to be here.

Thom

G

Whats the most hours on one of your slide-in units that you know of...

And how long do you run a machine with R and D before you introduce it?

Chad

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Since Shawn York has come under fire especially with the fiasco on the V board. Do you feel its necessary to keep him around and does he really create sales or are you just waiting for the right time to dump him?

BLUELINE1

Vincent,

Thanks for being patient with my slow typing!

Actually, I made a huge error when we made the decision to ban Mikey. I was in Couer D' Alene, ID. at the time at my parents 50th and someone forwarded me a picture of Mikey with his shirt pulled up and giving them the finger. All that I had with me at the time was my PDA (blackberry) and did not realize that the post that he sent to me was on another board.

Bad me.

Thom

BLUELINE1

Billy,

Great to hear from you again. Sure, you can run 2 or 3 2-1/2 inch hoses at a time. I would recommend going down to 2 inch at the ends as the 2-1/2 inch gets cumbersome to handle.

Thanks,

Thom

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Thom;

Glad to see you here tonight.

We've had lots of discussion here on restrictions in the TM vacuum system.

From your perspective, where do you think that significant gains can be made in improving the airflow from the carpet to the blower exhaust?

Larry Cobb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom