Is BNI worth it?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What is your experience with BNI (It is a membership networking organization.)
Did you find it to be helpful for your business?
Thanks for the input.
Ofer

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Well worth it. If there's more than one chapter in your area, visit them all. One may be a better fit for you than another.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
If you've been in your area for awhile, you should already have a network.

I already have a relationship with at least one competent representative of just about every profession.

Should I sell out people who have earned my business and respect and have referred business to me over the years for a group of new best friends? Or should I refer people to someone who hasn't proven himself to me?

If you're new to an area, BNI can be worthwhile. If you already have a network of loyal contacts, don't prostitute yourself.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
So whatcha gonna do when someone needs, for example, a Realtor: Tell him about your old friend of 20+ years who you know will get the job done for him, is honest, and has sent you countless jobs over the years, or the Realtor in your BNI whom you've known for a couple of weeks?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The think what the difference is that BNI and other networking groups actively look for opportunities instead of just waiting for them to happen.

For instance, you can share all the network members with every job you do. With a simple handout and the other members do the same for your business.

A very inexpensive way to advertise with warm contacts.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Dave Yoakum said:
The think what the difference is that BNI and other networking groups actively look for opportunities instead of just waiting for them to happen.

For instance, you can share all the network members with every job you do. With a simple handout and the other members do the same for your business.

A very inexpensive way to advertise with warm contacts.

How's your old friend who sends you a lot of work gonna feel when he sees you're promoting his competition? And how are your customers gonna feel when they realize you're promoting someone for your, not their, benefit?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've been doing business in this town for over 20 years and a BNI group would not fit for me for the very reasons John is talking about.

However, if I was just starting out, a BNI group might just be the thing.

However, I don't do well promoting people I really know nothing about, so even if I was just starting out I might have a problem with it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Start networking some opportunities with your friends if you want.
The simple fact is that networking with other businesses beats most forms of traditional advertising as far as ROI.

I these times. it's important to find smarter way to market. Yellow pages and cold direct mail ain't what it used to be and it's getting less productive every year.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I really don't understand why folks assume you have to refer the folks in your group. They've got to earn trust just like the real wolrd.

There are folks in mine that I wouldn't recommend. And there are others who have CC relationships already and I don't expect them to refer me.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Dave Yoakum said:
Start networking some opportunities with your friends if you want.

Dave:

You seem to minimize the value of working with friends. I get the impression your system is offensive to old (and productive) relationships.

The people that say not to use BNI due to their long term in an area are the very same ones who say not to buy certain TM and have never used them.

There is nothing in BNI that says you have to stop other relationships to join. I would say go visit and learn for your self.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Chris Muetterties said:
The people that say not to use BNI due to their long term in an area are the very same ones who say not to buy certain TM and have never used them.

There is nothing in BNI that says you have to stop other relationships to join. I would say go visit and learn for your self.

What's the point if you already have productive relationships with members of the professions represented in the BNI. You wouldn't be able to reciprocate referrals without betraying old relationships.

M

Mark Imbesi

Listen LaRue, I'm a huge fan of BNI. Would it hurt you to pass 1 out of 5 referrals to someone else other than your friends? By doing that, you are growing your network. When you stop growing, you will start to fail! For the $440/yr membership (in my area), you would not get a better ROI from anything else. Better yet join and volunteer for a leadership position and triple your exposure to the group.

Gotta love the stupid "can't teach an old dog new tricks" mentality. If you don't join a local chapter, your competition will. How about those apples?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Marc Imbesi said:
Gotta love the stupid "can't teach an old dog new tricks" mentality.

Gotta love the stupid "I know what's best for everybody" mentality.

steve r

is bni worth it? for me yes. its probably the single best thing i have done for my business.

i not only get a lot of referals but i have learned how to run my business better.i have a much better insurance policy for my business now.i know more about investing and the real estate market.every week is an education in something!

i guess the question is would you like to grow your business?

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I for one think BNI is a great way to market.I am in a fairly new group (less than two years) but we have grown into
the group to be in.The $330.00 per year plus $60.00 per month for the meeting, we also have a large group (34)and
growing.

R

R W

Marc Imbesi said:
Listen LaRue, I'm a huge fan of BNI. Would it hurt you to pass 1 out of 5 referrals to someone else other than your friends? By doing that, you are growing your network. When you stop growing, you will start to fail! For the $440/yr membership (in my area), you would not get a better ROI from anything else. Better yet join and volunteer for a leadership position and triple your exposure to the group.

Gotta love the stupid "can't teach an old dog new tricks" mentality. If you don't join a local chapter, your competition will. How about those apples?

I've been trying to attend a local meeting for a few weeks now, but something always comes up. The trouble I see is that in smaller communities like mine, every city or township has their own group, thus diluting the area. I talked to a financial person tonite that belongs to 3 different groups, so it's $1200 membership, and he has only generated 3 leads. Plus, how can this help the residential market, if you are basicaly dealing with other business owners?

I'll check it out Thursday.

matt sheppard

ive been in bni for almost five years now and almost 80% of my work comes thru bni, either directly from my group or thru multi generational referrals. the benefits outside that are excellent as well. my insurance agent, accountant chiropractor all came thru bni. during the month of december i generated $7300 of business from bni. there are over 30 groups in my area and i get referals from many of them. other ccer's have come and gone thru bni here, they leave after people realize they are hacks and/or unreliable. bni works for me.

matt

and no i don't refer my customers strictly to bni people that i don't trust and know.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I belong to Letip International...a huge networking group and community.
It is something that an owner operator should belong to. And you should visit everyone that doesn't have a carpet cleaner or whatever your catagory is....even if you are not a member.

I have 3 different maid services I don't know how maney pool guys and landscapers and I can help each of them out and I know they will help me out because of it.

I must have 10 different realtors. I can't refer to all of them but if you have a problem with what has been said in the previous posts Listen to this...

By having a network of different people in your data base you don't only have the ability to refer business to all of them but you also are HELPING them by being a great carpet cleaner.

I have one realtor for the past 6 or 7 years that I have only given one lead too...it use to kill me until she said.....wait for it...

"you are more valuable to me as a great carpet cleaner because my clients depend on me to referr to them honest and reliable companies, if you never give me another lead, you are still a big part of my networking group"

So the fact is, you are able to help other people keep there status by doing great work for them.
It's not always about "sending work to your friends competition". It's about opening yourself up to people.

Does this help?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Good point above Brian. I was a member of LeTip when my biz was located in Phoenix. BNI is the only one available here.

Both organizations have a bunch positive aspects. If you visit and don't get it at that point, it probably isn't for you. This type of structure isn't for everyone.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yea, I have had people tell me "That's not how I want to grow my business".
What? By networking?

It's like Dr. Evil Talking to Scott

"Scott, you just don't get it do you? You don't."

Love it.

world.jpg

I joined a local BNI group 2 years ago. the first year 19 % of our new business came from BNi last year 33% of new business came from BNI.
I have visited several groups in our large metropolitan area. Some have not been very good. i joined an active, organized, well run group and it has been great!

When I was looking into joining the group, I looked at the other businesses represented. Would they be good referral partners for me? Were they quality businesses? How many were new start ups/mlm's compared to brick and mortar type businesses. was there a good range of business types- financial services- health services- home services etc..

You do not join BNI or fun or fellowship- you join to make more money. You are bringing value to the table (or at least you should be). Find a group with good energy, good organization- that follows an agenda and you can make money. Work the system, it is a proven system.

As far as it only being good for new businesses- I reject that. I did not join until our 20th year in business. I have made new contacts, new friends, and expanded my network. I have not had to compromise my old network to do it. Example- I have a client that sells Mary kay- I buy my products from her. in BNI we have a mary kay rep. I have bought some products from her. I refer to both of them. They both know each other. There is no conflict or compromise. On larger transactions- I have a real estate agent that I have know for 15 years- I talked to the BNI realtor about that. They get it. It is OK.

As far as being on more than one group-it is my understanding that the BNI corporation will not allow an individual to participate in more than one group at a time. Your Company, can be represented in multiple groups, but the individual that attends each meeting can only belong to one meeting at a time. If you have multiple trucks I think it is good for each head tech to belong to a group. they can build there own contacts and networks and it grows your bottom line at the same time.

If there is a downside to BNI it is the time commitment. I do not think it is a downside but it is certainly something to consider carefully- First you have the weekly hour and half meeting- then in order to build trust and get to know the other businesses in your group you should allow one -two additional hours per week for marketing to them and through them. The more they get to know you and your ideal client the more they will help you find those ideal clients. Also you need to see yourself as part of their sales team. As you get to know and trust them you become their sales force as much as they become yours.

One last thought- you do not need to be outgoing. (although I am) Several people in our group are very reserved and absolutely hate doing their commercials and presentations. they still can make a profit. There is a vehicle in BNi that facilitates building trust and relationship with other members. in and outside the meetings.

If you have any other questions about BNI feel free to email me- I am currently the chapter President of my group and have a good understanding of how it works.
Melissa

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Great responses everybody. Thanks.

Those of you that were or are in BNI or LeTip,
Would you join an existing and established group that needs a carpet cleaner or join a newer or a forming one?

Bob Foster

Pro's
Good if your new in business
Good to expand your networking circle
Good if you have the time to attend every meeting (missing meetings is very much frowned upon)
Good if you want some positive influence on the way you do business

Con's
Your reputation is only as good as the referrals you bring to other members and sometimes that's hard to do consistently
You sense of obligation to fellow members can sometimes leave your colleges the impression you will offer their friends deals. Go retail to retail and a token discount only. Don't give away or fire-sale your services even to fellow members
Going every week can be a pain sometimes and it does take a significant amount of time doing the things you are supposed to as a member such as the BBI's or dances.
It's more expensive than it looks. Monthly dues for meals, annual dues for membership, and a hard to get rid of feeling of obligation where you might buy fellow members goods and services that you might not normally due.
Some chapters are chapters are loaded with counselors, consultants and health care professionals . Trust me that isn't going to take you too far. Look for one that has lots of members that are complementary to your business.

Visit a few untill you find what makes the most sense.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
kolfer1 said:
Great responses everybody. Thanks.

Those of you that were or are in BNI or LeTip,
Would you join an existing and established group that needs a carpet cleaner or join a newer or a forming one?

You have to find the one you would fit into.

If a 30 member group sucks and a 15 member group rocks then there you have it.

If you get into a really good 15 member group, you can help them grow and will have a hand in the member that are brought in.
Remember to vote out the f'tards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom