Is it a sign of respect or am I being stupid?

Mikey P

Administrator
When a customer hands me a check I fold it and put it in my pocket with out looking at it.

I hate the whole scrutiny thing and what it implies.

you tell me but it's rare if ever that I have to call them to alert them of a mistake..

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I glance at it and then write the check number on there receipt. That way it doesn't appear that I don't trust them. I am just looking for the check number.

Name
Lee Stockwell
A few times when I just put the check away, for the same reason you noted, I find out after I leave that they added a tip.

I always call back quickly to thank them again. I don't want them to think I'm ungrateful.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I agree Mike. Once I had to go back because they forgot to sign it, and I've had to call a couple of times because they wrote it for less by mistake, but I hate to seem like I don't trust them. 99.9% of my customers are good people.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
how 'bout cash...do ya count it in front of them.or jus fold it and stick it in yor pocket..

then count as soon as you get in the truck....?

Reactions: GCCLee

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I always check it quickly, and count cash at a quick glance....

just to be sure...had a few no sigs, or some other thing they needed to fix...

on cash, sometimes its been a bit less, because they were newer bills, thus harder to separate and count

plus I can tell them right then, thanks again for a tip

Reactions: Cleantechsk

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i think respect. same for me as Mike and Lee. i fold it quickly and slide it into my pocket while thanking them for the business, and call back ASAP if they've tipped me...which for me is maybe once a year.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I put it under the paper clip and I always write the check number on the top of my work order before I have them sign it....this gives me a chance to glance at it.....

can't ever remember having any problems.......

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I do the same as a lot mentioned here. I always put a trust factor in and just slip check into my little clipboard brief case. Sometimes I can tell with the elderly, they would like the invoice signed "PAID" and with the check number. With cash, I will do the same....Just put it in the little case, mark paid on the slip and if there is a tip, I call and thank them and the tip goes to the guys. I never take any of the tip for myself. I have never even called if the money is off a little bit. I just make and adjustment in my quickbooks for it and move on....

Good post guys!

Mark

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
It is a little different for me as an instructor. Students are always trying to give me their test fees check as soon as they get in class. When I do that Those checks end up in the washer. I tell them that I collect checks when they turn in all the paper work. Otherwise I may end up with 20 checks scattered everywhere.

Cash is different. I take that day 1 as Guinness is not cheap.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Sign of respect. I do the same thing. Normally just cram it in my pocket and keep on yackin.

Some people have forced me to count their cash though.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Write the check number on the reciept, just always have. I never count cash just stick it in the clipboard and give them a reciept never had an issue. (now I will)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is a little different for me as an instructor. Students are always trying to give me their test fees check as soon as they get in class. When I do that Those checks end up in the washer. I tell them that I collect checks when they turn in all the paper work. Otherwise I may end up with 20 checks scattered everywhere.

Cash is different. I take that day 1 as Guinness is not cheap.
That explains why you asked me for that "Extra Fiddy" cash as a processing fee. :p

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Being on the inside having to deal with the processing of work, it sure is a pain when the crew did not get the proper information on the check. Even if it's as simple as the completed work order reading $159.95 and the check written for $160.00. When they happen with small amounts, we just change the work order to match. When it's larger amounts, we have to do one or more of the following: questions the crew, contact the customer, refund an over payment, bill for a shorted amount, etc. The same when dealing with cash. I always suggest to count the cash and laugh it off as making sure the customer didn't make a mistake and pay too much.

Even as an owner operator, the numbers need to match and there is no disrespect when you are confirming the information on the check.

Right or wrong, I have signed the customer's signature on the check when they have forgotten to sign it. I have done it at least a dozen times over the years and it has never come back to bite me. (knock on wood)

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I put it under the paper clip and I always write the check number on the top of my work order before I have them sign it....this gives me a chance to glance at it.....

can't ever remember having any problems.......

I grab the check, lay it out and point to the check number - as I'm writing it on their receipt as I'm scanning the rest of the check .. I always count out the cash no matter what .. once you leave, that's it .. don't bother calling if you're short ..

counting cash is so normal I doubt anyone thinks twice about it .. any store they go to will always count it out - (even after you count it) .. In fact, after I count what I give the cashier, I ask them to double check it if the would .. takes the pressure off ones who feel it ..

So count away or risk losing it !! Some may wonder why you're not counting it!

Reactions: GCCLee

Becker

Name
Becker
Being on the inside having to deal with the processing of work, it sure is a pain when the crew did not get the proper information on the check. Even if it's as simple as the completed work order reading $159.95 and the check written for $160.00. When they happen with small amounts, we just change the work order to match. When it's larger amounts, we have to do one or more of the following: questions the crew, contact the customer, refund an over payment, bill for a shorted amount, etc. The same when dealing with cash. I always suggest to count the cash and laugh it off as making sure the customer didn't make a mistake and pay too much.

Even as an owner operator, the numbers need to match and there is no disrespect when you are confirming the information on the check.

Right or wrong, I have signed the customer's signature on the check when they have forgotten to sign it. I have done it at least a dozen times over the years and it has never come back to bite me. (knock on wood)

I'd never sign a customers check.

Name
Nate W.
I also look it over when I write the Paid in full with the check # on the invoice...

I know some of you had those customers who send in 1 cent checks costing them 32 cent stamp back then.... It wasn't asked for, they just sent it in when they seen the mistake... We never did cash those... :biggrin:

Name
jack zerkie
I cleaned for a older ladie today. She is102 yep and I, m 72 so I like working for older ladies. she said that her boyfriend writes the checks hes only 90 . So her wrote two checks one to me for carpets and the other to her hair girl. She gave my check for her hair girl Kathy and Kathy gave it back and got the correct check so it is a good idea to look and see what it might be. jz.

Reactions: Mikey P and GCCLee

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
The only time I feel bad that I havnt looked at the check is when I go to deposit it and it has a nice fat tip on it that I didnt get to tell them Thankyou for. Because I normally dont look at it either.

Billy

Name
BH
We always look at payment as an important part of the job. We need to make sure client is happy & we always make sure we are paid the correct amount since when mistakes are made it can be an inconvenience for us & the client to fix the mistake. Besides we have to enter data in our computer onsite anyway which is done at time of payment for checks & credit cards.

We have only received 4 insufficient funds checks in our 20 yrs. We have collected on all 4 in the end due to making sure we have all signed paperwork & info needed. Our most recent one involved a client that intentionally wrote a bad check for $690.00. We tried to give her the benefit of the doubt but received nothing but excuses so had to get serious. In the end we fired the joke Check Service provided by the bank that had been working on collecting for 3 mths & collected withing one week on our own.

We are now not just blindly taking checks from new clients anymore.

With our pricing we don't ask for & rarely receive $$$$s for tips but we do get meals sometimes.

I know I am a negative personality & trust doesn't come easy from me which IMO has helped us more than hurt us.

We are getting much stricter on our policies for payments due to economy though. We also have no billing.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The only time I feel bad that I havnt looked at the check is when I go to deposit it and it has a nice fat tip on it that I didnt get to tell them Thankyou for. Because I normally dont look at it either.

Same here.

Occasionally I get the wrong amount or bus name which is easily corrected.

25 years in Bus total of 4 bounced checks. One was my bank's mistake- corrected. 2 apologized and sent a new check.
1 was a law student, need I say more?

Last edited:

Billy

Name
BH
Same here.

Occasionally I get the wrong amount or bus name which is easily corrected.

25 years in Bus total of 4 bounced checks. One was my bank's mistake- corrected. 2 apologized and sent a new check.
1 was a law student, need I say more?

Ofer It is so scary when someone else thinks so much like me LOL I haven't ever been a law student but I am good with research & asking smarter people about issues. So far I have a 100% collection record for our 4 bad checks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom