Is Straight 40 Vol. too hot for carpets?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have been using 30 Vol. to pre-treat spots and sometimes use some ammonia as a catalyst on the bad stains. It works well but I am tempted to try 40 Vol on tough stains.

harryhides

Name
Tony
It's all a matter of timing.

You can safely use some products on new nylon but not on that exact same carpet after it has been exposed to direct sunlight for 10 yrs.

You can use Chlorox on wool, Nylon etc but only at certain weak dilutions.
You can use powerful oxidizers on Nylon for very short time periods but leave it on too long and you will have discoloring.

Best to do your own testing on old scraps from a carpet store dumpster if in doubt.

Finally some colors of Dye are more durable than others, notice how a bleached out beige/brown fades to yellow.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
harryhides said:

You can safely use some products on new nylon but not on that exact same carpet after it has been exposed to direct sunlight for 10 yrs.

You can use powerful oxidizers on Nylon for very short time periods but leave it on too long and you will have discoloring.

Best to do your own testing on old scraps from a carpet store dumpster if in doubt.

Finally some colors of Dye are more durable than others, notice how a bleached out beige/brown fades to yellow.

So, you are saying 40 Vol is totally safe to use on any fabric even silk and you will take personal responsibility if anything goes wrong?

Sound like I should save the 40 Vol for the worst case scenario stains. Good thing I just took the color repair class.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yes, JB, Tony is nuts.

It comes from great genius and learning. All such genius borders on insanity.

Seriously, the "poison is in the dosage", and strong enough peroxide can damage things that weak chlorine cannot. Its also in the time exposure.

That said, keep your chlorox in the laundry room. It should only be otherwise used by the rug demigods and the ubermensch, such as Tony Wheelwright and Steve Andrews.

harryhides

Name
Tony
harryhides said:

For a guy with a vac tat, you'd think John was more clued in !!

It was one of our industries real geniuses that few of you have heard of - Ray Morgan ( he was on most carpet Mill CEO's speed dial lists ) who first opened my eyes to this. Like John, I was at first shocked which quickly turned into DUH !!
All through life we understand that the only difference between foods or medications that help and those that kill is the dilution rate at which we expose ourselves. Sun tan or sun burn. Water gives life and can drown you. Same for salt.
I very seldom use Chlorox at any dilution but there are times like with cotton rug fringes when it is far better than Peroxide.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You'd both just end up getting Kuru

Tony spent too much time in the tropics to trust what might be in his brain.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
when i need HP, i only use 40 vol anymore...no need for 30.

mostly light berbers....sometimes on very light plushes.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
IMO.....oxidizers & strippers....should be left to the PRO'S.....

You need "Hand's On Training"..before using any of these products....

Some of these guys could break a "Bowling Ball".... :roll:

READ the disclaimers on your JUICE...The manufactures is liable for NOTHING.... :!:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I afraid that dear OLD Harold's brain is inedible because the estrogen levels are too high.

:shock:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Walrus said:
I afraid that dear OLD Harold's brain is inedible because the estrogen levels are too high.

:shock:

Jimmy, I'm surprised that you'd dare to go there considering your pregNANCY

JimmyJemina.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Heavy Sigh :roll:

Another good thread with great answers ruined by the likes of Wheelwright, Sutley, Strickland, Ladwig, Chavez, and......ok.........me too with the "Kuru" comment.

Tony, when you were in that boarding school in England, did guys like those other four get you in trouble when you were an otherwise outstanding student?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Jim, I'm afraid that this time it was all your fault.

Never, repeat never, offer even the slightest hint of praise of me as that is like red meat to some of these yappy dogs here.
The school was in Rhodesia and in general I was a reasonably good lad.

And yes Chavez you are a natural trouble maker, no doubt through all 6 of your school years.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The school was in Rhodesia and in general I was a reasonably good lad.
Tisssst....that's the bad think about the internet, you can't see when someone has their fingers crossed. :p

6-yrs?
I'll have you know they released me on good behavior or maybe they just got tired of me being there! :shock:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:x
Cruised through 1-5 in two years, (I's smart) but had to get held back in the 6th grade.......for 4-years. (Not as smart as I's thought)

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom