Is the grass greener?

Mikey P

Administrator
Lawn Life- 7, 425 members
Lawn Pro's 25,543 members
Landscape Business Owners 5,279 members
Lawn Care World 3,767 members

this is a $16,000 mower..

I can just see all the goobers saying this is all you need.

Name
Matt Ross
The average grass cutter is no doubt in alot better shape. I worked at a golf course in high school. Mowed all afternoon and most of the summer. Really enjoyed it. Instantly gratifying like carpet but outside, which is much nicer.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I pay $100 every two weeks for my lawn to be mowed, and I have a decent riding mower also. Every time I see those guys I know they're loaded with jobs.

But they're also loaded with competition. Anyone can go guy a mower and cut some grass. And hiring is easy to. They don't have to look half decent and they can smoke a pack of cigs while they're on the job if they want. They're outside. Training? No prob.

So yeah, maybe it is a good idea to give it a try. We already have a customer base to market to. Just get another truck with a riding mower hooked up to a trailer that I'm gonna steal from Damon. Thanks for the idea Mikey.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
One of my church friends is retired military and has a trailer with nice equipment. He cuts lawns all day. In the heat and humidity of Alabama. For free.
If you’re a widow, he’ll cut your grass.
He’s either a saint
Or he’s on some serious Saiger drugs
I like him already 😊

steve_64

The guy I was paying had it done in 15 minutes. Takes me over an hour but looks better when I do it.

Its good money but a shorter season. The bigger outfits also do tree trimming and snow plowing here.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The owner of the company that does mine is a high school friend, he's built a nice business, about a dozen employees in the season, nice shop, old but very well maintained trucks, newer equipment. He's on all the hard scape jobs himself. He works 90 hours a week 9 months a year and from what I can see my lifestyle is much better than his, but doesn't mean he doesn't have a million bucks buried in his back yard...

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I use a Toro Time Cutter for my yard. 1/2 acre
lot. You get what you get with pros. They don’t waste time raising or lowering their blades. But can you imagine the board talk😳

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
When I lost almost everything and had to start a business to survive, Landscaping was one I was seriously looking into. I was also looking into blow-up jumpy houses for kids parties and maybe a hotdog stand in the park (No Joke). As I've said many times. Carpet Cleaning saved my ass. I've come a long way from rolling around town in my AT&T van with my porty and a case of Grand-Slam.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The only tradesmen with new pickups are lawn guys.

My 15-year old, ugly John Deere has bald tires that go flat every 30 minutes. I just carry a bicycle pump with me. It fits between the coffee mug and the seat. And I tend to whistle.

Reactions: SamIam

Chris A

Name
Chris
The market for landscapers/lawn guys is certainly bigger in most areas than for carpet cleaners, but with way more competition. Like carpet cleaning, I'm sure a person with good manners/appearance, reliable equipment an a decent attitude can build a business as either a carpet cleaner or landscaper based off referrals, but I'd imagine you can build a landscaping business quicker. 50-75 lawn customers would keep you real busy, then you start adding in 10-20k patios, retaining walls, bed design jobs that would add up quick.

Reactions: Foothills Phil

Mikey P

Administrator
When I lost almost everything and had to start a business to survive, Landscaping was one I was seriously looking into. I was also looking into blow-up jumpy houses for kids parties and maybe a hotdog stand in the park (No Joke). As I've said many times. Carpet Cleaning saved my ass. I've come a long way from rolling around town in my AT&T van with my porty and a case of Grand-Slam.

Why what's different?...🤐

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I did warehouse floor cleaning with rider zero turn scrubber and treated them like commercial yards. Worked real well.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Jimmy's DED father inlaw used to have one of those manual mowers.I remember using grandma's POS.

I felt sorry for my father inlaw and gave him an old beat up gas mower.
He could afford one but was very old school having been brought up during the depression.

Marty the real reason that guy does lawns for free is either he is a real Forrest Gump or he thinks he'll have more people at his funeral.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You get what you get with pros.

no different than any other service biz
Janitors, butchers, bakers, candle stick makers, carpet cleaners, land scrapers, et al

there's bottom feeder hacks, the middle pack pros and those at the high end .
from O/ops to large scale multi-million dollar outfits
the gra$$ will be as green as the owners drive, motivation and wherewithal makes it

I'll tell you this though, compared to lawn maintenance, as in mowing and picking up sticks ( the bread 'n butter of most O/ops ) there's more profit in CCing.
and you don't get rained out, nor have to push snow to pay bills in cold winter climes

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom