Is there a powdered acid rince?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Citric acid powder is pretty cheap, but I can't imagine how you could have an acid that would react with the Flex but not with the metal in your plumbing. Shawn?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
There is a logical acid (hydroxyacetic acid) and a decent rinse agent surfactant, that are both available as a powder. I suppose you might be able to compound them and keep them powdered, but I have never personally tried. I can however state, that the powdered product WOULD be a hazardous material, and would garner some appreciable expense in a suitable shipping package and shipping upcharge expense (UPS Ding-me). Whether that would offset the expense of shipping the product with enough water to soluble-ize it with a suitable fragrance additive is doubtful.

People sometimes think that chemical manufactures make liquids, just so they can sell water at a tremendous profit. Yes, while it may be the case in certain circumstances, the truth is, it's almost never the case.

Here are some of the legitimate reasons why your liquid products have water, or are otherwise a liquid.

1) Water is added to make the product non-hazardous.
2) Water is added in sufficient quantity to make the product a stable mixture.
3) Water is added, so the user won't have to heat and mix the product for an inordinate time or use impractical methods/equipment to create an end use dilution.
4) Because the components, without water, would be a thick, goopy paste that has very poor handling characteristics.
5) Because the process to manufacture requires a certain amount of water, and it would be too expensive to dehydrate it, on top of the problems listed above being introduced.

Of course, none of this precludes a chemical vendor from actually putting together a regulated mixture, then ignoring these regulations in order to provide a product.
Yes, I see this quite often with solvent products coming into California from other states, ignoring our VOC regulations. As a Distributor in California, we lack the "luxury" of being able to participate in these transactions.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Citric acid powder is pretty cheap, but I can't imagine how you could have an acid that would react with the Flex but not with the metal in your plumbing. Shawn?

Prochem, Bridgepoint and Chemspec all made and sold citric acid in 2lb jars (to be excluded from hazmat regs). I don't think any of these three still do. But you can still get it (I even have stock). But, as a rinse agent, especially all by it's lonesome is really not a sound choice.

Citric acid, as a rinse agent, should only be used in small relative quantities and leave most of the "heavy lifting" action to another acid. Too much citric acid left behind will product resoiling problems. Not to mention that using any acid as a "rinse agent", will do almost nothing to effectively remove sticky residues of surfactant based cleaners. At best, citric acid is a performance additive, or conversely a really poor soure, in this context.

Citric acid's main use is as a remover of yellowing, such as cause by the presence of BHT. It should be rinsed out, after it is used in this case.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Sodium Bisulfite stinks but used to be a rinse for high ph pre sprays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
OK......"when" you "decide" to be a smart ass.......

Grant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom