Is there a solvent protector that that doesn't STINK?

LeeCory

I like the idea of a fast drying solvent protector... But

I've tried two different popular solvent protectors from the boards that have been horrific. One of them smelled so bad I could still smell it a year later when i returned to clean again.

I would rather put down water based then to have to evacuate the home for a few months.

Are solvents just not realistic?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee;

Solvent-based protectors vary from very mild to very strong.

Typically, the slower drying solvents have milder odors.

Medium drying solvents have moderate odors.

Solvents to eliminate combustibility also have a moderate odor.

The special fast-drying solvents for demoing to the customer, have the strongest odors. That's why you only use a trigger spray to demo.

I would be happy to send you a mild-odor sample for comparison.

Regardless, if you want the best performance, you will use a solvent-based fluorochemical protector.

Larry Cobb

P. S. No solvent should have any odor after a couple of days with normal ventilation.

lance

Talk to Mike Vernon at Hardball Chemical. He sells a solvent protector with different scents including no scent.

G

Its very hard in real world terms to explain to a customer that "this smell will go away after a couple of days. It's the solvent that I just sprayed all over your floor".

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Several state already have restrictions on solvents. Some of the popular products are not legal to be sold in some states.

California currently has a proposal, that if accepted as presently written, would essentially eliminate all solvents protectors.

Our company sells protectors with water carrier and solvent carrier. I know the solvent products offer the advantage of faster dry times, but to me are not worth the concerns with odor, health and safety and environmental concerns. Solvents protectors are intended for upholstery fabrics were any water was an issue. I can't see spraying them over 1000 sq. ft entire home.

Scott Warrington

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It has been conventional wisdom that the crackdown on hydrocarbon solvent protectors would have a massive negative impact on the industry, leaving us without viable options.

But in the long term, it has spurred the innovation of water soluble protectors to have many attributes they didn't have even 3 years ago. This innovation continues.

When I first took an upholstery course some 20 years ago under Joey Pickett, the first point he made still sticks in my mind. That we, as upholstery cleaners are now welcomed into a world of cleaning of fibers and materials that were never designed with cleaning in mind.

With innovation of cleaning processes and protectants and training, we turn that seeming disadvantage around to our advantage as professionals.

Water based protectants will become the standard, and they will get better. But something else is also happening. Materials are becoming more friendly as well. But the advances that are being made in protectants are doing a lot to make things meet in the middle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom