Is this high flow stuff a bunch of BS?

hogjowl

Idiot™
This is the time of year when almost all of my work is cleaning rental houses and schools. The schools haven't starting hitting yet, but will next week, but the rentals are wide open. I spent the day stretching carpets in a house last week and my old hands and arms were killing me by the time I got to the cleaning part, so instead of getting out that heavy Titanium wand, I picked up my hole glided Castex pos wand instead. Had to turn the pressure down to 250 psi, of course, to keep from blowing the thing up, but the thing I noticed was the carpet cleaned up really well, and was dry within an hour.

Next day, I had to go and clean up my monthly church account and decided to use the Castex again, just to see. The daycare is always a mess, and I cleaned it first. Same thing ... the carpet looked great, dried quick and my arms didn't feel like I'd been loading hay bales all day long after using it.

I admit, I felt rediculous hooking up a Castex wand to the end of a Vortex hose, but the point of all this is ...

is Mikey full of sh$% when he talks about high flow?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
High flow you are rinsing the carpet with more water(duh), flushing the fibers, and it lessens the work load. In all cases you don't need high flow, but some find it as a PITA to keep switching wands.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
admiralclean said:

He may well be, :? but I don't think that Duane and Steamway were when they advocated it.

roro

G

yes,
When I need more flushing (High Flow) I just turn up my pressure from 375 to 475, simple enough! :roll:

Cheers, AL

Its not one or the other. I think most jobs would be fine with lower water pressure and for the extremly soiled carpets turn it up.

Lower flow will leave carpets dryer and keep temp. a bit higher ( depending on carpet machine).

But high flow with low vac. is bad. This will only overwet and damage carpet along with higher chance of wicking.

Name
Kevin McCreary
I can do both and the only time I see a difference is, with high flow it might save you a stroke or too on a really dirty carpet.

If you only use the wand as a rinsing tool it rinses faster with high flow, most of the jobs I do its overkill.

Just cleaned a super soiled rental today. I used my RX-20 and cranked the pressure up to 800 psi and and high flowed my to another customer turned company cheerleader.

Name
Kevin McCreary
lancehollister said:
Just cleaned a super soiled rental today. I used my RX-20 and cranked the pressure up to 800 psi and and high flowed my to another customer turned company cheerleader.

That should be dry by memorial day!

Name
Ron lippold
give me over kill any day. I have been running 24 flow for 2 yrs now and hane dry time of 20 - 45 min with out a fan and i would never go back to just high heat. way better flushing.

Kevin McCreary said:
lancehollister said:

That should be dry by memorial day!

It was i get it clean or he buys new carpet in a rental. It cleaned so well i have to go back and do 2 patches and dye 1 room thats covered in kool aid.

G

High flow and 2.5 hose is nothing more than
bullient board bull shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

The Preacher

being a VLM bonnet hack (i do mostly CGD) drying time isn't an issue with me and i never have to switch to my light 1hp rotary from my heavy 1.5HP dual speed rotary to keep my old arms and hands from hurting!!! :p

PS use what works for you. the BBS flow police have never inspected a job i've cleaned (to my knowledge)??? :shock:

Bob Foster

Ron Werner said:
I was using 15 flow on my Greenhorn, holed glide, went back to 10 flow. haven't really noticed a diff, except that a little hotter, and I don't go through the water quite as fast

Lend me them jets I wanna try them out.

Farenheit251

15 flow really helps on grimy restaurants. Most Resi jobs I can't tell much difference. Odd thing is with one quick dry stroke 15 flow is just as dry as 10 or 7.5.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My book says don't go above a 6 flow or you will reduce the heat coming from the machine. I guess I'd better not change them.

Gene

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
when I went from 06 flow to 12 flow, I know the water in my waste tank didn't seem to look less diluted. Actually more crud. But now I have fewer strokes to lay down and recover the same amount of moisture.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
sweendogg said:
when I went from 06 flow to 12 flow, I know the water in my waste tank didn't seem to look less diluted. Actually more crud. But now I have fewer strokes to lay down and recover the same amount of moisture.

I found the same. I actually use less water with 10 flow than 7.5. Less strokes, faster, cleaner, drier.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty I'm tired of explaining to your ignorant ass that a CASTEX is a well designed professional wand. Go to a hardware store and buy some aluminum flashing and cut it into some splash guards and attach them to your CASTEX. This will prevent any overspray.

Then angle the jets so they hit just millimeters behind the slot.

I have a stock PMF V800 valve on mine and I seldom go over 500 psi with no problems.

The narrower width slot and SS glides allows it to glide with no problems.

As with those who argue that a 2 inch barrel on a wand works better they also woon't tell you that it gets tiresome on your finger tips pulling the trigger.

My hand reaches comfortably around my smaller dia tube just fine.

Quit reading all the BS here and decide for yourself what is right for you.

I've tried that Greenie wand and frankly I wouldn't want to push that heavy POS all day.

Mike Draper

:eek:
Walrus said:
Marty I'm tired of explaining to your ignorant ass that a CASTEX is a well designed professional wand. Go to a hardware store and buy some aluminum flashing and cut it into some splash guards and attach them to your CASTEX. This will prevent any overspray.

Then angle the jets so they hit just millimeters behind the slot.

I have a stock PMF V800 valve on mine and I seldom go over 500 psi with no problems.

The narrower width slot and SS glides allows it to glide with no problems.

As with those who argue that a 2 inch barrel on a wand works better they also woon't tell you that it gets tiresome on your finger tips pulling the trigger.

Quit reading all the BS here and decide for yourself what is right for you.

I've tried that Greenie wand and frankly I wouldn't want to push that heavy POS all day.

you are a whining ass bitch!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
admiralclean said:
I picked up my hole glided Castex pos wand instead. Had to turn the pressure down to 250 psi, of course, to keep from blowing the thing up, but the thing I noticed was the carpet cleaned up really well, and was dry within an hour.

Next day, I had to go and clean up my monthly church account and decided to use the Castex again, just to see. The daycare is always a mess, and I cleaned it first. Same thing ... the carpet looked great, dried quick and my arms didn't feel like I'd been loading hay bales all day long after using it.

I admit, I felt rediculous hooking up a Castex wand to the end of a Vortex hose, but the point of all this is ...

High flow is all about speed and efficiency. Your Vortex provides dual wand heat vac and flow and you should use that power since you are paying for it whether you are using it or not. The Castex wand is choking down your vac and your water flow and is thus less efficient. The difference is not huge, maybe a minute or two per room in cleaning time. Is Mikey full of sh$% when he talks about high flow? Not at all, I think you already know that. You will obviously get excellent results with the holed glide Castex and if it is more comfortable to use in certain situations than use what you have. I do the same thing sometimes using my stock WM 12" 1 1/2 dia wand with a 50' 1 1/2 hose in a PIA job that is more moving furniture than cleaning.

Mike Draper

GeneMiller said:
My book says don't go above a 6 flow or you will reduce the heat coming from the machine. I guess I'd better not change them.

Gene

Well, it actually goes both ways.....with higher flow the water reaches your wand muchfaster and has less time to cool off in the solution hose. You might just increase the heat at the end of your wand with high flow.

Ron Werner said:
I was using 15 flow on my Greenhorn, holed glide, went back to 10 flow. haven't really noticed a diff, except that a little hotter, and I don't go through the water quite as fast
I also went back to 10 flow on the greenhorn from 15. I saw no difference in the cleaning. I am constantly adjusting water pressure up and down with each job. Is it a bunch of bs as you ask? It is a tool in the trade of carpet cleaning. If you have one of the top two wands out there, titanium or the greenhorn, my choice would be high flow. I even have my butler wand pimped with high flow as the back up. But I never use the butler wand, its still like new. Ron

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Walrus said:

...I've tried that Greenie wand and frankly I wouldn't want to push that heavy POS all day.

I felt the same way with my original Big Red 2" wand. Man, that thing was made out of Stainless STEEL not Stainless Tin, as the Greenhorn seems in comparison. Big heavy bruit, hard to get a grip around and a finger on the trigger. That's why I modified it more like those pressure gun handled wands. Easier to use but still a heavy bugger.
The greenhorn in comparison is extremely light. Haven't had the same issue with the trigger as it glides almost effortlessly with the holed glide.

:shock: TMI (sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh, and today I put the 03 jets BACK on my Greenhorn. I think I answered my own question. On most normal soiled carpet the 10 flow seemed to be doing just fine, saved me water, I got a little higher heat, BUT I have had 2 redos both with the same wicking challenge, the spot just wasn't rinsed out enough. SO, back to highER flow. Still got enough heat to make the tube of the GH hot to touch.

Sorry Bob. :roll:

Walt

I was ready to switch back to my 9 flow.

Will somebody do some tests. Then we can settle this for once and for all.

Personally, I would love it if High flow were a myth. Then I wouldn't have to dump water so frequently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom