Is this rug worth keeping/fixing?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Longtime client is moving out of state and gave me a rug today.

Apparently, in the past I've mentioned how they shouldn't have this nice of a rug as an entrance mat. Actually, they had the rug on some black slate looked great.

It's wool, old, imported and I believe hand made.

The fringe is in bad shape in areas. one corner is unraveling. Can something like this be cut smaller? Is this something worth fixing? Clean it and use it? Or to the curb?

20180904_163159.jpg

20180904_163105.jpg

I believe I was told long ago that random stitching like above indicates a human made it.

20180904_163029.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The white knots are easy to fix with a marker.

Repairs on the fringe and a few spots to reweave would cost some dollars, but would increase the value of the rug and could be worthwhile if you liked the rug. If the plan was to invest in the repair and then sell it for a profit, I would pass on that plan.

It should clean up pretty well and look good with a submersion cleaning or by a company with a duster and a Mor machine.

A look at the knots from the back would help determine its value. Also would need to know the size. I am guessing about 8' x 12'. If you bought a rug that size and in good condition from a retail store, they would be asking $4,000 give or take. If you tried to sell it on-line, you might get $500.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The rug has a lot of wear, is coarse enough to be an Indo-Persian, and looks like it bled and then had the bleeding bleached out at some point. If it cleans well this is a rug that could sell for around $200 with no repair. With a proper repair it may fetch as much as $900, but a proper fringe repair will cost more than $900. IF YOU LIKE IT, the repair would be to have the ends machine fringed or remove the fringe and finish the ends by machine serging. That will cost you a few hundred dollars, so you might invest $300 in a rug that would now be worth $300-$500.

Or live with the wear. You'll have a nice rug that you don't have to worry too much about.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Its a cute rug. Why not clean it and use in your home if you have a place for it?
The unraveling should be stopped with a simple hidden knot repair.

I prefer pre-damaged fringes, as somebody already took care of it for you, so you don't have to worry no mo about the inevitable :winky:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I was given a nice quality rug by a Customer that bought a furnished property but didn't like this particular rug. I cleaned the others.
I cleaned it and put it in my office for my dogs to rest on.
I like it, they like it and it looks pretty good in here.
Free makes it even better.

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom