Is this wand OK?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Your 4.8 is an overdrive model Tim, in 99 I think they were still 1:1 ratio, my '98 4.7 was set at ~2250

TimP

Yeah it is an overdrive, 2006 model. I figured vdo woud be the same since it gets the reading off the blower. But if the vdo is reading the engine tach then id understand.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Chris Adkins said:
Your 4.8 is an overdrive model Tim, in 99 I think they were still 1:1 ratio, my '98 4.7 was set at ~2250
I just called Hydramaster and they said my machine (1999 or 2000 CDS 3.8) should run at 1500 RPM and that would translate into 3000RPM at the blower.
My machine actually runs a bit higher than that ( I checked again and it's around 1750) and the tech said that was OK.
I'm always a little on the edge about if the machine is going to spontaneourly blow up on me. Probably because I had an old British sports car for 13 years and its now in my DNA to permanently worry about equipment breaking down.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
gimmeagig said:
Chris Adkins said:
I just called Hydramaster and they said my machine (1999 or 2000 CDS 3.8) should run at 1500 RPM and that would translate into 3000RPM at the blower.
My machine actually runs a bit higher than that ( I checked again and it's around 1750) and the tech said that was OK.
I'm always a little on the edge about if the machine is going to spontaneourly blow up on me. Probably because I had an old British sports car for 13 years and its now in my DNA to permanently worry about equipment breaking down.
Don't know how the "cool" emoticon got in there. It's a 3.8 is what I was trying to write.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
gimmeagig said:
gimmeagig said:
Chris Adkins said:
Don't know how the "cool" emoticon got in there. It's a 3.8 is what I was trying to write.
I'm loosing my mind : 4.8 :oops:

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
TimP said:
A cds 4.8 should be ran at 1400-1600 on the VDO on the machine. I don't know what the engine rpm should be as my truck doesn't have a tach. As far as your vac relief with both ports completely sealed factory setting is 14 hg. The adjustment is under the waterbox where the vac tube from the blower connects to the waste tank. There is a knob/bolt that you can turn that increases the tension of the spring, I believe it's on the right side.
You were right, Tim.Thanks!
Maybe I can pm you directly if I have another question about the machine. You seem to know the CDS really well.Would you mind?

TimP

gimmeagig said:
TimP said:
A cds 4.8 should be ran at 1400-1600 on the VDO on the machine. I don't know what the engine rpm should be as my truck doesn't have a tach. As far as your vac relief with both ports completely sealed factory setting is 14 hg. The adjustment is under the waterbox where the vac tube from the blower connects to the waste tank. There is a knob/bolt that you can turn that increases the tension of the spring, I believe it's on the right side.
You were right, Tim.Thanks!
Maybe I can pm you directly if I have another question about the machine. You seem to know the CDS really well.Would you mind?

I wouldn't mind. Although I'm no expert but I've had it over 4 years now and I do all the work myself so far. I've changed out a blower belt, changed out the dwyer flow meter, pressure gauge. Changed a chem pump diaphram, replaced a few corroded brass fittings here and there. Mine has an electronic throttle control that hooks up to the diagnostic port for increasing idle when the machine is on. Of course changed out waste tank gaskets, and changed oils and grease. Although I haven't bought a waste tank gasket since I got the greenie tank brackets to keep the top of the tank from moving under vacuum.

I'd be glad to try to help when needed. Although the machines are pretty simple and so far I've had only minor things wrong.

T

The Magician

Jim Martin is the HM PTO guy. He knows the machine. Just run it at the factory rpm and 14 hg. You may have to adjust the jet angle with the glide. It should just hit at the edge of the glide.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
The Magician said:
Jim Martin is the HM PTO guy. He knows the machine. Just run it at the factory rpm and 14 hg. You may have to adjust the jet angle with the glide. It should just hit at the edge of the glide.
Thanks, I'm getting a new wand ( I'm convinced!) and I'll look up Jim Martin as well. The guys at Hydramaster always come across a little impatient and the answers they give me are often a little too complex for me. Then I feel stupid to ask them to explain it again.
Good to know that I can ask someone here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom