is this your Craft? really..

J

JS41035

Well I know my deadlift PR! It's not been fun. Ive always thought I have an awesome wife. She runs every morning. She takes amazing care of my kids.
But when She dresses you and helps you to the bathroom. And to use it :(. That's love man.
Couple weeks minimum of doing nothing. They mean NOTHING. I'm gonna Chavez it up for a month.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm gonna Chavez it up for a month.
Awww man!
smiley-char067.gif

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jeez... This is depressing! So you guys are basically telling me, when I do get lucky enough to finally get off the truck...... I'm still screwed! You REALLY have to go to their jobs and check the work?

there is no way in hell I would ever waste my time and go around and check my guys work.....the day that happens will be the day I find someone else who does not need baby sitting and can think for themselves....I accept mistakes...but if I need to check up on them after I trained them on what to do...then something is seriously wrong.........I hired them to do this because I have more important things to do...and holding there hand is not on my list......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Some companies send out little post cards for the customer to grade them, some companies do follow up calls to check on overall satisfaction and most will stop in on techs periodically to make sure all protocols are being followed as close as possible to ensure things like effeciency,productivity and safety among other things.
We do all three.

If you want it done "your way" you have to show them and then follow up to make sure it continues.

Like Jim, we have too many other things to do that to constantly chase technicians around. However it is so important to keep them on track and doing it the "Chavez" way that we will make unannounced periodic stops on them.

Its easy to do, when a supervisor is out and about, he just pops in on a crew. Just a little attention to logistics and it can be accomplished without much effort.

Even the most well intentioned crew leader can and generally will start pulling away from the line. Its up to us to keep them in line, if we slack off, they get further away from the service we expect from them.

Its a constant chore of pulling them back to the line, but a worthy task. :cool:

c70e358b-7dc4-4a45-8a6a-ff589bb340f1_zpsa8265a0a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KevinL and GeeeAus
Name
Lee Stockwell
there is no way in hell I would ever waste my time and go around and check my guys work.....the day that happens will be the day I find someone else who does not need baby sitting and can think for themselves....I accept mistakes...but if I need to check up on them after I trained them on what to do...then something is seriously wrong.........I hired them to do this because I have more important things to do...and holding there hand is not on my list......
Jim isn't wrong very often.

This is one of those times.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I don't believe it is a waste Jim, at all as it is necessary to maintain certain levels service and operational efficiency.

Some companies don't care how results ar achieve as long as they are good.

But we do, I want anyone or my guys to be able to work next to any other one of my guys and both be on the same page as to how and why and when each is going to do what they are supposed to be doing. It is uniformity and to this day we don't have perfection going on but we are continually trying to implement and operate with the systems and protocols we have in place.

As mentioned above this is all done to keep things like safety and efficiency on the techs mind as much as possible. I want to be able to watch a video survallance tape and explain everything that is going on and that it is normal, the f it is not normal we have a big problem.

It is just like the turn left policy at UPS, turning left is not a bad thing but if you are noticing that most of your accidents are happening while turning left, then you implement a program to eliminate or drastically reduce amount of left hand turns and monitor the drivers by gps and in the streets.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I get nothing but good reports from clients so why would I want to rock that boat and micro-mange them....when I start getting negative reports then I will feel the need to find out why....

I am not going to waste my time if they are not giving me a reason to....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
And that might work well for you for a good amount of time Jim, but history has shown me through 13 short years of biz and 16 years of managing people that is not the norm and hard to duplicate if you had to employ more people.

We all have at one point had an awesome employee that just does everything they are supposed to do when and how much they are supposed I do it and then for one reason or another they no longer work for us.

This is where having general systems and protocols in place are good for both you and your company. As it makes training new guys a smidgen easier and you know what to look for as your training continues.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
There must be some form of checks and balances or it WILL Get out of control and when it does will not be easy to rectify.

With all I have said above, you could be employing a dream employee, but we check on dream employees the most around here!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't sit back and wait for them..and its not like I don't know what is going on...but I don't tag behind them and look over there shoulder on every move that they make...I expect mistakes...and I don't expect things to run perfect all the time...but at the same time....every client gets a evaluation card and I get probably 80% back and I just don't negative reviews about them...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
I almost never check my guys work either. Not even when I'm on the job with them.

I told Romo that I think we had two jobs last year where they should have used the RE instead of the 175/wand. They went back and redid it all on their dime. Now they almost never use the 175. :lol:

You've hired the wrong chimps if you have to worry about the quality their producing.

Reactions: Jim Martin
J

JS41035

QC is part of having employees.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I believe its a craft.

Those of us that do, to any extent, stand out from the rest.

And knowing the perception of most of the public that carpet cleaners are bait and switch operations (we are often viewed as a smarmy ambulance chaser lawyer or the stereo typical used care salesman) or that they think they can rent an machine and do just as good of a job... I see no issue with someone that takes pride in the "craft" and wants to wear a shirt that draws awareness to that. If we want the industry "elevated" so people don't view it as I described, we have to carry ourselves in a way that shows it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom