Is your TM insured against auto accidents or fires?

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
TM owners...is your truck mount covered against automobile accidents or fires? If so what type of policy has it been written under and how much is the policy?

Worst case possible....someone wrecks your work truck and the TM becomes damaged.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Yep. Vehicle (even though ugly), contents, equipment transported even in another vehicle or on the job. $1,350,000 liability on the vehicle, $100,000/person injury. $119/month.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My inland marine is part of my general liability all in one policy. It’s in the low $100’s per month

sassyotto

Name
Paul
our insurance covers the TM on the vehicle coverage because its bolted to the van its PART of the van.

Reason I know is that I had an accident with my previous van/TM. It was an older van which normally would have been totalled (both were in like new condition so I could never have replaced them with what they would have given me). BUT since the TM is part of the van, they had to take the total of what the TM AND van was worth. so they ended up repairing the van (TM was not affected)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
our insurance covers the TM on the vehicle coverage because its bolted to the van its PART of the van.

auto insurance covered mine for that reason (bolted down) in '92 when I crashed

if someone else at fault, I'd expect their insurance to cover any/all damage and tools right down to last jug of your pre-spray

1602759988898.png

..L.T.A.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes

Reason I know is that I had an accident with my previous van/TM. It was an older van which normally would have been totalled (both were in like new condition so I could never have replaced them with what they would have given me). BUT since the TM is part of the van, they had to take the total of what the TM AND van was worth. so they ended up repairing the van (TM was not affected)
You had an adjuster that took the easiest line of resistance. Bolting a cb radio to a van don’t make it part of the van. I chose that for simplicity. Get an island marine policy. The next adjust might take a hard line🤷🏼‍♂️

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You had an adjuster that took the easiest line of resistance. Bolting a cb radio to a van don’t make it part of the van. I chose that for simplicity. Get an island marine policy. The next adjust might take a hard line🤷🏼‍♂️

Agreed.

I know too many sad stories of people who have had theft, fire, or collision damage and were not covered because of not having a marine inland policy.

A guy in New Jersey had a van with a truck mount stolen a couple of weeks after he bought it. No marine inland, no truck mount replacement.

Cleaned with a portable for four years while he paid off the truck mount he no longer had.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
sorry you got it wrong guys, The TM is written in line item on the Auto policy right under where the Van is

I can take a pic if you want

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Maybe, but it’s not common. Maybe you’re carrier made a special provision, but it’s still not common. I wouldn’t trust it with most any carrier. It’s not Common ISO.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Under my auto insurance policy for my box truck, I put the value at $65k since it had the tm bolted to it and all the bells and whistles and the wrap. Since it has a higher value, the cost to insure is more than what it would be without all of it ($10k). so yes, the auto insurance does cover the equipment bolted to the truck and anything else in the vehicle as long as the damage is caused by an auto accident.

Now, if the machine catches fire and burns the truck down, an inland marine policy is needed. The insurance policies are covered under what caused the damage.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Under my auto insurance policy for my box truck, I put the value at $65k since it had the tm bolted to it and all the bells and whistles and the wrap. Since it has a higher value, the cost to insure is more than what it would be without all of it ($10k). so yes, the auto insurance does cover the equipment bolted to the truck and anything else in the vehicle as long as the damage is caused by an auto accident.

Now, if the machine catches fire and burns the truck down, an inland marine policy is needed. The insurance policies are covered under what caused the damage.
With the inland marine, that is not a concern.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Always review your insurance, and get a new agent if your agent is uninterested, unresponsive, or unaware of your specific needs.

While it all turned out for the better in the end, in 1971 my father lost everything he owned in his business after a fire. His agent did not have him nearly adequately insured.

How he recovered, and why we are not a large Servicemaster restoration franchise instead of a supplier is another story for another time.

Ron K

When my van was damaged the other's
policy paid me my average income from
my Van/TM until it was repaired.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
If they were at fault, they had to🤷🏼‍♂️ Dang it Jim, I’m sorry I wasn’t your agent back then😥 I really was a better insurance man than a jani/carpet cleaner🤷🏼‍♂️

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
Here in Pennsylvania, I searched high and low many years ago and found only one insurance company to offer a replacement cost policy on my Butler System. I have a standard business auto insurance policy on the GMC van $1749.00 per year and a commercial inland marine policy that covers the Butler at 100% Replacement at $711.00. Both policies are with Liberty Mutual.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
i have to agree with paul. here in FL with state farm, commercial policy, anything that is bolted that wont fall out if you were to pick it up and shake it, is under the auto policy

i have inland marine for everything else

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom