It should have been named "Big Blue"

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'll have to keep some of these pics.
They've tweaked them nicely since 1980
Those Perkins never wear out if you look after them, just run all day long.
They just get dirty after 10yrs

lance

I have heard of these from you, Ron, but I have never seen pics of the machines when they were brand new. I think maybe only the Genesis D-XT looks as rugged and powerful.

If I was going to fix one up, I would get a radiator for it and use coolant like a regular water-cooled engine. The diesel has a lot of low end torque and could drive a 47 or 56 blower full speed even at 15" of Hg. It's great that it's belt driven....I would use large pulleys and maybe 3 belts to keep them from slipping.

You could add an exhaust HX to get maybe 170 or so degrees and then add a post heater to bring it up to 220 to 230. But I think the easiest way would to skip the HX and buy a Bob Savage propane heater or one of Duane O.'s propane heaters....if I went with one of Duane's I think I would spend the extra money and get the 350,000 btu so that even with a Turbo Hybrid you would never run out of hot water.

And a waste tank would come in handy along with the pump out that is already on the machine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I was surprised they were using a 50 Horse Diesel to drive a 5.6, I would think a 30 would do just fine considering the operating RPMs...

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
There are still a lot of Big Red's here in SoCal. I don't think they are players now, but back in the day...

Those boys could put down some liquor....I think that led to the company's decline in the end. That and not one thing they ever made was the same, they tweaked and fiddled with every one. Fitting the wands is a nightmare....but they had 14", 2" tubes STANDARD with every unit!

Take care,
Lisa

Ernie G

I had a D-83 and a D-84 back in the eighties, I knew Gene Bates very well, smart guy, then came his son Mike, also very smart. Unfortunatly, drug abuse and a bad marriage ended that busn., Mike's wife ran the busn. for a while, but could not hold it together. Gene Bates was a pioneer in this busn., he had alot of good ideas, he designed steam genies old portable, then started Bates Enginering and designed the 1511 portable. I had a 1511, it looked different than any machine around, with a bubble top, people called it the bubble machine.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Gene Bates was one crazy MF...fo real he was!!!
i saw him pull out a hand cannon and wave it out the window at some poor black guy that was minding his own business!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
mine has that clutch arm. Allows you to start the engine without the drag of the blower.
It will heat the water over 200F, and have LOTS of water, only problem is that the pump has to pump the hot water and they don't make seals for that temp. Much easier on the pumps to handle cold water.
The water flows through the engine block and an exhaust HX. It would dump hot water into the recovery tank and draw in fresh water to cool itself. As long as you were cleaning, ie using water, it would keep going all day.
I rigged mine with a rad on the water to keep it from over heating.
Much better to have a HX on it and maybe a post LG.

They've got a beautiful sound when they're revved up, just a nice purr and the sound of rushing air coming out the exhaust.

They break one of Les' rules though, the engine exhaust is plumbed into blower exhaust. Might break a couple more too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom