It's going to be 9 degrees here on monday... At what temp do you stay home?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Well too bad I didn't take a picture of my dashboard showing outside temps yesterday...84degrees!
Yes its expensive down here but man- do I love rolling around with windows down and short sleeve shirt on?!
Today I'm eating my lunch at the beach and its almost too warm for comfort
And no, not all of us- living in warm weather- are soft..I did hardcore winters for 22years in europe and 3 winters in Colorado..lowest was 6degrees when I was cleaning carpets. Froze my solution line properly.

Last edited:

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Well apparently the garden/water supply hose is the weak link in my set up.

Finished one room, 100' water supply line froze in maybe 10 minutes. Hose was even hooked up inside house, no help...

So, most of you that don't have issues carry water?

Yes Jerry, I always carry water in my 100 gallon tanks, even in the summer. Too much potential trouble using the customers water supply. You are not far from me, I have a set of fresh / waste tanks from my Prochem performer 405 if you are interested... I can only sell the tanks as a set, if you need I can loan you the fresh tank for a couple months to get you through.

The water does not flow enough running a hose to the machine to keep it from freezing. When I fill in the morning there is no problem with it freezing, but I monitor it and wrap the fill hose as soon as the tank is full.

Name
Bruce
Well too bad I didn't take a picture of my dashboard showing outside temps yesterday...84degrees!
Yes its expensive down here but man- do I love rolling around with windows down and short sleeve shirt on?!
Today I'm eating my lunch at the beach and its almost too warm for comfort
And no-not all of us living in warm weather- are soft..I did hardcore winters for 22years in europe and 3 winters in Colorado..lowest was 6degrees when I was cleaning carpets. Froze my solution line properly.
:evil:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
WE doubled our second job today on a big sectional that was a delicate material and all loose cushions in 9 degree weather. Doing it by myself with helper basically watching would have taken 2 hours. We did the basement first while he brought in spare 100' solution line, 2 upholstery tools, laid 100' vac hose in the yard, then he finished cleaning huge basement while I hooked up fresh water and removed 15 cushions. (we carry 125 gallons but this was 2nd job)When he was done with basement and stairs we switched to upholstery. I started cleaning body while he hooked up his vacuum hose and solution line. It went pretty good except the spots on furniture didn't respond well until I tried some mineral spirits. This furniture is only 6 months old so we didn't even wet the cushions that didn't need it. So we finish the sectional and switch back to carpet in the master br and I've got NO vacuum. What could be wrong? The filter mesh was full of Ice. Had him change basket and back in bizness. 3 hours work for $505. I'll do that in any weather. Did I mention it was 9 f'n degrees outside? O and side door was froze shut when we went to start and at one point my helper got locked in the back of truck. I wondered where the hell he was. Other than that,,piece of cake.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
Damn, and to think I bitch about working in the rain...... :redface: lowest here is high 50's in the early morning....

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I hate it when the water in the vac hose turns into "Snow" It will clog things up in a hurry. I did one once and had to keep swapping cold hoses for warm ones to get through a job with 100 ft of vac hose outside and 3 below'

Able 1

Name
Keith
I hate it when the water in the vac hose turns into "Snow" It will clog things up in a hurry. I did one once and had to keep swapping cold hoses for warm ones to get through a job with 100 ft of vac hose outside and 3 below'

I have never seen snow in my vac lines, mine will get stiff if I leave them sucking the outside air, but no snow. Are you still running that weenie unit? Maybe the water stays in the hose too long?

The coldest I have worked in is -32 with the wc.. I have only had a solution line freeze up once on me, and it was my fault.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
garage makes everything better. l;eaving warm and having a system in place works

Name
R.J. Povio
supposed to be a high of 13 here tomorrow. We rescheduled work to Thursday. Wednesday is supposed to be the same as Tuesday. Just not worth the risk or freezing stuff for making a few hundred bucks. If a line freezes or pump freezes somehow or a guy falls on the ice you will be saying damnit. We make enough money in the good weather months to reschedule a few winter jobs. People understand if you warn and explain stuff to them. I would only work in the most extreme temps if it were a water loss and it was going to pay big $$$. We will reschedule jobs if snow alot that day too. People do not seem to shovel sidewalks and driveways like they used to. Then if you track in the smallest amount of snow in their house they freak out....not worth the bullshit. We have never lost a job to rescheduling due to extreme weather. I couldn't image having a crew of 10-15 guys out there cleaning in subzero temps all by themselves without having problems. Something has to give.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Actually this Jan. has been much better/busy than the last few years.

Most years it seems like we fall of a cliff and the phone just stops ringing.

X2- I only stop working when the truckmount freezes. That happened last about 5-10 years ago on a 9 story job.

Name
Bruce
It's kinda funny how we go through this temp thing every year, don't get me wrong it's better then going through the fav prespray thing every year.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Calling for 1/4 of Ice here tomarrow.

We keep her in the garage and have a generator... but holy crapola this could get ugly!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
2 degrees when I started first job today. Work the solution line out from the house to truck and start spraying right away to avoid freeze ups. Once you get oving there is no issue

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, we don't carry water. The 100' of garden/supply hose was the weak link, froze in ten minutes.

Hopefully that's the last of the super cold for now. That day the windchill was -15 to -20, never tried using the TM that cold.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you need to have a run off just to keep the water moving then

Mike Draper

Just about every day this January has been like this. Its the coldest winter I can remember here. We just happen to be cleaning 20k feet when it was -16. It warmed up to -5 though.

temperature_zpsbae014bb.png

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Just about every day this January has been like this. Its the coldest winter I can remember here. We just happen to be cleaning 20k feet when it was -16. It warmed up to -5 though.

Jeez, that's Alaska weather!

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The colder the better for me. I find the carpets dry much faster in the winter because every thing in the home is very dry from the furnace running all the time.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Hey Mardie,

That's a pretty cool city of yours, I googled it. You get a lot of tourists from the states?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Chris...i'll bet you ten bucks you don make it through the winter wit the same pressure gauge......
they all freeze at a frost........i always took mine completly off and put an eighth inch plug in the pump till spring...

but NOOOO...you won't listen to me!

Back
Top Bottom