It's official

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
This is today's adventure. I now have a warehouse. Let the next chapter of my business begin. I may be bugging ya'll with a lot of questions going forward.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'll be honest guys. I'm wanting to get into resto flood dry out work and mold. I'm taking the classes next month. I know it's a lot to bite off and I have a lot to learn. But I'm not going to learn anything if I don't try. I would greatly appreciate any help, especially from California people, on how to find the flood work and any leads on used equipment. I'm actually pretty nervous but I got to try.

I started my carpet cleaning company with a porty and a run out express van. Starting small, I'm sure I can build up a water damage side.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I sub myself out to some local restoration companies here when they get busy. My point is that’s it’s some good hands on experience and you ask them what they want you to do. Damn. That was a sweet run-on sentence.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I'll be honest guys. I'm wanting to start to get into resto flood dry out work and mold. I would greatly appreciate any help, especially from California people, on how to find the flood work and any leads on used equipment. I'm actually pretty nervous but I got to try.

Jeff Cross and Peter Crosa, who has been an adjuster for over 30 years, put on a great class to help restoration companies get that business. The class is called Restoration Strategies - Turbocharged. It is only held about 3 times per year. I think Nashville in April and Detroit in June, then Orlando in November is the 2019 schedule.

As an adjuster, Peter explains how adjusters think, what they want, what will get their attention. One of my favorite parts is listening in as Peter calls several insurance agencies and adjusters and offers his services as a restoration company. Learn how to get past the gate-keeper to the decision maker, hear how they react to various approaches.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'll be honest guys. I'm wanting to start to get into resto flood dry out work and mold. I'm taking the classes next month. I know it's a lot to bite off and I have a lot to learn. But I'm not going to learn anything if I don't try. I would greatly appreciate any help, especially from California people, on how to find the flood work and any leads on used equipment. I'm actually pretty nervous but I got to try.
Congrats Damon. Restoration work can be very profitable but also brings lots of headaches. One of which is waiting to be paid. Usually 30-90 days if you're lucky. You seem to have a good in with some property managers. They can provide you with lots of work. Make sure you have the right insurance and workmen's comp policy. Your PM's can give you 2 types of work. Those that large enough to warrant insurance claims and those that are under the deductible. They normally pay you faster on the smaller claims because they are not going through the insurance. The course will be invaluable as will the connections you make. Good luck with it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's easy to get the work...damn hard to process it and manage it while running a carpet cleaning business.

Slow incremental growth is best. Use reasonable caution when buying equipment. Don't over spend. Buy equipment after every good job and keep adding slowly. But don't spend it all on equipment, kick some back to operating costs. AND SELL THE FOOKIN BOAT AND BIKES! They earn you no money, the drying equipment will. 😉

Name
Matt Ross
I know nothing about flood damage work, but I do know that Redding is one of the driest places on earth. At least it seems that way when I drive through. You gonna pay off some plumbers or what?

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I know nothing about flood damage work, but I do know that Redding is one of the driest places on earth. At least it seems that way when I drive through. You gonna pay off some plumbers or what?
you pay the kids to break the window, put the garden hose inside and turn the tap on. Or through the mail slot, whatever.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Nice Damon!! Rent is reasonable or better. I paid that for years here in Oklahoma. With your rig, i would sub out the extraction and move on. I know Richard says that’s the hard part, but investing and getting paid is the hard part. There’s gotta be a reason Mark quit! Best to you!!!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Even if you don't go into restoration work the shop can be a nice addition to your growth.

With the restoration just be prepared for every holiday being consumed with an emergency phone call (people are home breaking their homes that day) and at the end of each day when people arrive home you being called out to what can be another entire day's worth of work... And after a late night of clean up and gutting walls (with your lead paint and asbestos certifications of course) needing to be at your carpet cleaning jobs after a quick baconateor and a shower.

Doing restoration takes a special breed... We did it for many years also. Got tired of the insurance industry price fights and homeowners running off to the carribeans with the money.... and going through the headache of trying to collect, or wait for them to sell their home with the lein put on it.

I am very happy (and so are my brothers) now that we don't do that work anymore. I just sold some of my final pieces of water restoration equipment a month ago. Was saving it for that "just in case" moment.... Nope... We just don't do it anymore. This actually helped me to focus on what we do more and it made our carpet cleaning business stronger.

I am actually purging my shop currently. I still have equipment and products that were new or slightly used... Now just dumping.

But I am very happy for you... I just want you happy also and go cautious before jumping in is my words of caution.

Be happy in life! 😊

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Nice Damon!! Rent is reasonable or better. I paid that for years here in Oklahoma. With your rig, i would sub out the extraction and move on. I know Richard says that’s the hard part, but investing and getting paid is the hard part. There’s gotta be a reason Mark quit! Best to you!!!
I was just typing my thoughts as you replied... Lol

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is the hardest part and the money is in the drying. Mark quit because WDR will suck the life out of you. Its demanding, around the clock work that never quits coming in. It comes at the worst times and wrecks your work schedule and your family plans. It's lucrative but at a toll on your life.

I still love it. I like the panic, the thrill, the sense of accomplishment. I found it very enjoyable. It's really the only thing I miss about no longer being there. I saw one of the trucks on the work Thursday and wanted to stop and see what they had but I would have been late for work. 😶

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
My response was shorter🤷🏻‍♂️ But yours was to the point. Everyone thinks janitorial is bad, lord restoration far exceeds that. I would keep my inventory
small and rent most. But even that is hard. You just have to experience it to know. I do it as an accommodation, and use my customers money of course.😄

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom