It's time to expand, can you help me or help me find a mentor?

Ebenezer1

Name
Michael
Greetings!!

I appreciate your time taking a look at my question.

I have had a Part-time Carpet cleaning business for over ten years. The last two years, I went full time. I have finally started to get to the point where I am asking the customers to either agree to be put on a waiting list or to call me back. This I describe as a "good problem", but I am loosing out on money. However, I am getting nervous, because I don't know how long this will last or if I am burning bridges with future potential customers or if I am playing games with my companies reputation. Don't get me wrong, I am not having people break down the door, but business is busy.

My problem

I lack business skills or the know how to run a business. I am fine and profitable and happy with me in my van, but beyond that, I have no clue how to handle a business. I read a couple of books, the best one was The E Myth Revisited. Great book. I started to put those practices into play, but I don't know how to go with hiring a staff (2 or 3 people). In particular, how I should pay them, what to supply them, what does the industry say.

If I get another truck and take into account all of my overhead, I don't feel it is worth the risk. Am I wrong on that?
Should I just work out a deal with someone with a 1099 and just break off a piece while they use all their supplies?

Questions
Does anyone know of any course or mentor I can follow to expand my business?
Does anyone know who I can reach out to and ask questions ?

I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: SamIam and Giorgio
Name
Doug B
Years ago I was at a local business association meeting where they had some people from SCORE talk to us about what they can offer. Maybe they have someone nearby willing to help guide you.

SCORE

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
For the present time, work on scheduling. Go out to your next available day and schedule that day "off". And do the same for the next week and so on. Being a premium owner operator, you know that day is not really "off". Save it for when a 5 star customer calls you and needs you within a week or so. Do the same for Saturdays. Don't book anything for Saturday in advance. Be in a position to take care of of one of your current customers. Then if for some strange reason you do not fill one of those days, you just got yourself a maintenance day, hours roll by quick this time of year. Further into the season, the longer people were waiting, everything gotta be running smooth.

Mikey P

Administrator
Who are in your customers?

Will they continue to call during the economic downturn?

How is it that after so few years you have more business than you can handle? Great marketing or low prices or...?

Where do you live?

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Greetings!!

I have had a Part-time Carpet cleaning business for over ten years. The last two years, I went full time. I have finally started to get to the point where I am asking the customers to either agree to be put on a waiting list or to call me back. This I describe as a "good problem", but I am loosing out on money. However, I am getting nervous, because I don't know how long this will last or if I am burning bridges with future potential customers or if I am playing games with my companies reputation. Don't get me wrong, I am not having people break down the door, but business is busy.

My problem

I lack business skills or the know how to run a business. I am fine and profitable and happy with me in my van, but beyond that, I have no clue how to handle a business. I read a couple of books, the best one was The E Myth Revisited. Great book. I started to put those practices into play, but I don't know how to go with hiring a staff (2 or 3 people). In particular, how I should pay them, what to supply them, what does the industry say.

If I get another truck and take into account all of my overhead, I don't feel it is worth the risk. Am I wrong on that?
Should I just work out a deal with someone with a 1099 and just break off a piece while they use all their supplies?

Questions

Are you sure I couldn't interest you in the long-haul trucking business instead? A new Peterbilt truck will cost you about the same as nicely equipped Butler System.

But, if your dream is to become a world infamous carpet cleaner like me then who am I to stand in your way.

Step 1 is to purchase a subscription to Service Monster.

Reactions: SamIam
F

FB7777

Are you a complete lone wolf at this point?

first step in expansion is investment in human capital to lighten your personal load

if you don’t instinctively know how to manage people then no mentor or business program is going to help you grow beyond your current position

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Once you hire one person as a helper, your business dynamics should change. Now, we should be adding insurance to protect yourself with having that person. Now you have to account (literally) for that person. How will you account for that person. There is a lot of factors to weigh before adding an employee. But, if you want to be long term,
that should be your goal. Can’t answer your question though.

Reactions: Giorgio

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Greetings!!

My problem

Questions

As I was working Sunday, alone, to try to catch up a little, I was thinking about how smart your post is. Perfect time to step it up, but obviously while Im working solo on Sunday, I can't give advice on how. I remember years ago the Howard Partridge system was popular for carpet cleaners. I saw competitors follow his plan with the postcards and advertising and think they did ok.

Reactions: Giorgio

The Boot

Name
John
Greetings!!

My problem

Questions

If you're having to put customers on a waiting list and you say "I am not having people break down the door, but business is busy" then somethings not right.
Always put yourself in your customers shoes. How would you feel if you called your company and you were told "I can put you on my waiting list or you can call me back in a couple of days or weeks". Your reputation and skills will only go so far when it comes to your lack of customer service (time frame to complete their request). How long would you wait?

You are building long term relationships for your business.
You guarantee the very best results.
You pride yourself on your integrity in doing the job right the first time.
You provide the very best service.
Your customers call you for number of reasons.
Your customers will call when their best friend has an accident and the last thing they want to hear is "a waiting list".
Your customers call when family's coming to visit and the last thing they want to hear is "a waiting list".

A "waiting list" doesn't fit into the long term plan.

A "waiting list" is a terrible part of the business plan.
Keep it in the business plan and soon you will have all the time in the world and won't need "a waiting list".

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have finally started to get to the point where I am asking the customers to either agree to be put on a waiting list or to call me back.

I'll preface by saying I'm not a "business" man.

but to pile on The Boot's dose of reality...

You don't tell them "call me back"
You schedule them for next available time slot.
all my best custy's would wait a couple weeks when we were bombed.

I'm curious...
is your schedule full two weeks out with no holes?
and is that an 8 hour day on the truck 5 days a week from now til Thanks giving?

..L.T.A.

Ebenezer1

Name
Michael
For the present time, work on scheduling. Go out to your next available day and schedule that day "off". And do the same for the next week and so on. Being a premium owner operator, you know that day is not really "off". Save it for when a 5 star customer calls you and needs you within a week or so. Do the same for Saturdays. Don't book anything for Saturday in advance. Be in a position to take care of of one of your current customers. Then if for some strange reason you do not fill one of those days, you just got yourself a maintenance day, hours roll by quick this time of year. Further into the season, the longer people were waiting, everything gotta be running smooth.
Please excuse the delay! Thank you for this insight. That's a great plan and things I need to think off. Again, thank you!

Ebenezer1

Name
Michael
Who are in your customers?

Will they continue to call during the economic downturn?

How is it that after so few years you have more business than you can handle? Great marketing or low prices or...?

Where do you live?
Excuse the delay. When I was 22 I started teaching high school. I was the (at least in my mind) young, hip teacher and had a great relationship with my students and co-workers for that time. I coached 7-8th grade basketball, so I had students come in freshman year and already giving me credit among the students. I was also on my Mega Church bored for 10 years. Long story short, after my last year of teaching, I put a facebook post up and people I went to high school with, old students, and people from my Church commented, shared, and hired me. Everyone that calls me has some sort of connection to those three.

The Spanish teacher was just like me, but he became an Insurance sales men for American Family. He basically sold a policy (home and car) to damn near the entire class of 2013. He was given awards for how fast he established his business.

If I expand, I hire someone, I can take care of more people, I am more worried about my creditability. Later, I assume, if business slows down, that I will advertise, network more, and just keep posting on my facebook page.

Ebenezer1

Name
Michael
Are you a complete lone wolf at this point?

first step in expansion is investment in human capital to lighten your personal load

if you don’t instinctively know how to manage people then no mentor or business program is going to help you grow beyond your current position
I have managed people, but never as the top dog.

Reactions: steve_64 and SamIam

Ebenezer1

Name
Michael
If you're having to put customers on a waiting list and you say "I am not having people break down the door, but business is busy" then somethings not right.
Always put yourself in your customers shoes. How would you feel if you called your company and you were told "I can put you on my waiting list or you can call me back in a couple of days or weeks". Your reputation and skills will only go so far when it comes to your lack of customer service (time frame to complete their request). How long would you wait?

You are building long term relationships for your business.
You guarantee the very best results.
You pride yourself on your integrity in doing the job right the first time.
You provide the very best service.
Your customers call you for number of reasons.
Your customers will call when their best friend has an accident and the last thing they want to hear is "a waiting list".
Your customers call when family's coming to visit and the last thing they want to hear is "a waiting list".

A "waiting list" doesn't fit into the long term plan.

A "waiting list" is a terrible part of the business plan.
Keep it in the business plan and soon you will have all the time in the world and won't need "a waiting list".
Thank you for all of that. I agree with you 150%! I guess I have to get a truck and an employee. Believe me, I do not want my rep to go down the tube. A bad rep will for sure go further than a good one.

Mikey P

Administrator
Glides have nothing to do with helping you manage your business
So don’t let Mikey talk you into buying a bunch
Yeah, great results, little to no repetitive stress issues and quick drying have nothing to do with managing a great carpet cleaning business.

Take Marty's advice and you'll be a broken down 60-year-old that can do nothing but sit around and count on his son to pay the bills.

• Haha
Reactions: SamIam and FB7777

Mikey P

Administrator
Don’t concern you

Go pack your glides for c unts order
Long gone..
Don’t concern you

Go pack your glides for c unts order
Finally caught up on inventory, sort of.. PXL_20220527_024607990.jpgPXL_20220527_024557035.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Glides sales, just like carpet cleaning jobs go in waves.

All of a sudden you'll be cleaning a whole bunch of microfiber couches for a week or two or shit hole apartments or granite countertops or..

But the thing that shocks me is how many freaking glides are sell for the Prochem quad jet which seems to be on one the hell of a wave right now.

It's essentially nearly identical to the Sapphire Titanium 12-in, but literally twice it's weight.

It's virtually indestructible and has a incredible fan base.

Reactions: SamIam

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Just burned through my first lip glide. Was the investment of the year for me. Im definitely part of that wave.

• Wow
Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom