Janitorial Support Question

RandyHilburn

Any of your guys running janitorial companies ever use one of the Kiavac cleaning system models? http://www.kaivac.com/products/notouch/ I'm considering the purchase of these units to help our gals doing apartment housekeeping, but have never actually used one. Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Walt

I think that would only work well in an industrial situation. Completely tiled bathrooms and the such.

Name
Jesse
I have 2 of the large ones, they work well but I don't know about using them in apartments unless their trashed.

We use our to clean fires escapes, large bathrooms, sometimes to power a water fed pole for windows, and on some strip and wax jobs. Good machine, a little bulky, usually gets you better results in about the same amount of time. The larger machines tip into a regular service van pretty easily, the smaller ones might need a ramp or 2 people to lift it in and out of a vehicle.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And would janitorial staff maintain them on a daily basis?

Most of the staff have a hard time just changing out a vac bag.

Let them have a mop bucket and save the money.

Schedule the full cleans like tile and shower cleaning for down times in the building.

Around the holidays.

RandyHilburn

The objective would be payroll savings vs. the cost of the machine.

Our housekeeping staff works out of full size vans, so transport space is not really an issue. Some consideration to lugging that thing up-the-stairs needs further thought. I also understand that not every apartment may have a use. However, cleaning two bathrooms in an apartment takes somewhere between 35 and 40 percent of the time of the entire job (the bathtubs and surrounds in particular are the most time consuming part of the bathroom). Additionally cleaning up the vinyl floors (after some of the painters) is currently labor intensive and a pressure washer makes short work of latex paint on vinyl. The psi of the top end machine is 500, but the flow is only 1gpm. Is there enough flow?

Occasionally when we clean the carpet prior to an apartment housekeeping job, I'll have them prespray the vinyl floors, bathtubs, toilets and then hit it with the pressure washing wand and suck-up the mess with the vacuum hose. I've even had them opened the refrigerator door and spray it out and sucked it up too. Other than the windows, oven, ceiling fans, bathroom mirrors and counter tops, I'm thinking a large part of an apartment can be done with this type of system and save 30 to 45 minutes per job and perhaps reduce a four person crew to a three person team plus one Kiavac.

However if it's hard to push, difficult to get up-stairs, takes too long to set-up/take-down or is in other ways cumbersome to use, our teams are pretty quick to cast out bad ideas - even if those bad ideas are mine.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have 2 Windsor Compass machines which are basically the same thing

I have to agree with Terry's statement

not possible to lug it up stairs and it is very heavy when full of water

our machines are mainly used in large shower areas like you would see in health club locker rooms and to do detail cleaning in large restrooms

I doubt you would find that the machine saves you that much time or another person. If you are doing everyday detail cleaning of a restroom then it would help you there

the biggest problem has been trying to find the right chemicals to use with the machine, you are working in confined areas that aren't always vented very well

private message if you want with more specific questions

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom