Jim M and his inline filter mod

I tried the modification Jim came up with on the inline filter...and it helps ALOT. Drilling the holes in the back and the panty hose is a sweet combo. Makes a big difference in vac and crud buildup/vacloss. Thats one reason I like this board, fellas sharing ideas...thanks for sharing Jim.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the white cloth bag clogs extremely fast and is a pain the wash out..........

John Watson

I still keep a meshed bag handy for the occasional carpet that has large chunks all over it and I don't want to pick up by hand or run through the hand vacuum. Helen and I have found it is a lot easier to take the 2 inch and quickly go around and spot suck the chunks saving the vacuum cleaners belt and motor. Real easy to put contents of white mesh bag while dry into a zip loc and return to homeowner. We have done this a few times with bagies full of lego, small toys and puzzle pieces.

To the new uses of this modified pool filter, please realize there is two different metal filters the one we use is SS Mesh and has the black plastic top ring and bottom cap like in Jims photo's.

The other SS filter is all SS with punched holes. This type only works so-so and restricts your air flow and the knee high plugs real easy.. I still use this one when I do carpets that have been packed with soil.. I have a couple of commercial accounts that the knee high and SS meshed filters will plug with this silt that we break loose during cleaning. Hope this explaines it a little better and is able to help you understand.

lance

If you can have the SS mesh filter with the holes drilled in the bottom in combo with a knee high pantyhose, why can't you use the white mesh bag with a knee high instead of the SS filter?

Are you afraid of the knee high breaking open?

How about using just a knee high pantyhose all by itself? As it fills it would stretch out by itself which would keep the airflow moving inside the clear body.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
lance said:
If you can have the SS mesh filter with the holes drilled in the bottom in combo with a knee high pantyhose, why can't you use the white mesh bag with a knee high instead of the SS filter?

Are you afraid of the knee high breaking open?

How about using just a knee high pantyhose all by itself? As it fills it would stretch out by itself which would keep the airflow moving inside the clear body.

the mesh filter with the holes in it pulls the knee high and all the dirt and crap to the bottom and allows the sides of the filter to stay clean and open ..You can try lining the white bag but I am sure you would lose some lift because the bag is not as open and does not breath as well the stainless filter... and the whole key to the holes is to pull everything to the bottom.....with the bag it would not do this

I have tried the nylon without out the filter and it pulls the nylon into the hose itself and starts to clog...the filter with the solid bottom and the holes supports it and does not allow it to get into the hose....

IMG_3319.jpg

100_3749-1.jpg

100_3750-1.jpg

ascrubabove

I have both (bag and ss mesh), after seeing that picture I'm off to the shed to drill some holes and then dig around in the wife's sock drawer!!!! :mrgreen:

ascrubabove said:
I have both (bag and ss mesh), after seeing that picture I'm off to the shed to drill some holes and then dig around in the wife's sock drawer!!!! :mrgreen:

You will be thanking Jim for that great idea..it works very well.

Do you clean out the panty hose, or do you just toss it. I tried cleaning the white mesh bag one time only and threw it in the garbage. How hard is it to clean the panty hose?

I saw a filterbox on Larry Cobb's website that I like. What are the advantages - disadvantages of this filter over inline filters. This filter would work great with my Everest having two 2 inch hoses off tank and 2.5 inch into house.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/ssprefilter.html

John Watson

Danial, when you buy the knee highs you get 2 = 1 pair correct...

After the first one plugs up you put the 2nd one in.

Now you let the 1st one dry out then turn it inside out and the knee high pulls free.

These instructions are on MB Form ID 10 T on the board index!!!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Danial...when it gets dirty just take it out and toss it in the trash and replace with a clean one and keep going......you can get 5 pair for a buck a walmart......

Aris......the SS filter basket is sold at Interlink .

ascrubabove

C Pennington said:
ascrubabove said:

You will be thanking Jim for that great idea..it works very well.

Yes it works well, the custy's love to see what I pull out of thier carpets, (Look at that Ms. Piff, you only had a half lb. of dog hair this time!!)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Make sure your wife knows that you are buying these stockings for that purpose.

If she finds one in your jacket pocket you will have a little bit of explaining to do.....

Yes, I have first hand experience with this :lol:

Great tip, Jim. These type of posts are what I point out when I encourage people to sign on here.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
LOL, yeah that could be a problem. My wife is used to finding other women's phone numbers in my pockets, but the hose might be another story.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
DanielC;

The advantage of a stainless "basket type" filter box is:

1. greater airflow capability (less vac restriction)

2. easier cleanout (lift out basket)

3. longer lasting

Larry

Greenie

CleanEvolve said:
Where do you get those SS filters with the plastic bottoms to drill out?

I keep a doz. of these on the shelf, thought about pre-drilling them for the guys who don't want to, be a couple of bucks more, prob. worth it.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Larry Cobb said:
DanielC;

The advantage of a stainless "basket type" filter box is:

1. greater airflow capability (less vac restriction)

2. easier cleanout (lift out basket)

3. longer lasting

Larry

Larry:

You forgot number 4:

Larger capacity: Fills up much slower and can last through an entire day's work... or, a very large job.

Name
jack zerkie
Easy way to clean nylon filters. Go Lowes or Home Dep. To lawn& garden dept, the have hose end looks like a hose end the fire dept. uses has small tapered end. This goes on end of garden hose or pressure line be careful it may shoot out 25feet. This works very well to clean the filter out ,just makes a mess in the area where your doing it. Jz.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom