Jim Martin, Do You Have One More Rabbit In That Black Hat?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
On a rather large job today and the V shuts down. About 2 hours into job and it shuts down with no warning nada zip. Check fuses, knew the waste tank wasn't full, found there was a short in the 24 pin plug between the truck and the power control panel for the Vortex gauges etc. We fooled around 45 minutes before we could get a connection that would allow us to start her up again. Don't laugh at the immediate fix, it worked for the day! Stopped by Granger the largest pin connector they had was a 5 pin. Called AeroTech but they acted like I was crazy, apparently their set up is different. By the time I got back to shop and took pics Jeremy was gone for the day.

Here's the pic, chances are Jim, Mike, or whoever hasn't had this problem but if so where did you find a 24 count pin connector.

I am heading to Google now to see what I can find.

24PinConnector002.jpg

24PinConnector003.jpg

24PinConnector001.jpg

I think the problem lies in the female prong you see at the top of the last pic. The other blank one is just that a blank one

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Re: Jim Martin, Do You Have One More Rabbit In That Black Ha

the only person that I know of that has that same set up with the connector is Mike...Here is what I would do if I were standing in front of it..I would look at the wiring harness and mark each wire with a number tag that match up in the pins....for example...the 2 yellow wires that go together in the male and in the female ends...mark them both as #1..the 2 blues mark both of them as #2 and so on...then I would cut that POS completely out of the truck and butt splice all the wires back together...if you replace it..it is just going to be a matter of time before it does it again...those things are not designed to be in that type of location...you are going to have to cut and mark the wires anyway like I described..if you decide to replace it...might as well save yourself the trouble...money....and another headache down the road and just get rid of it.....

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis

Thanks Jim, that is exactly what I told the tech today, that I just might "hard wire" it this weekend, since I didn't see ever having to move anything later.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

thats your best bet......and once you do it it will never give you another problem...

Jamesh921

Name
James

I always solder hardwire connections to keep them from vibrating loose. Then use heat shrink on them.

Just a suggestion to prevent future headaches

Billy

Name
BH

You could also use a Terminal Block which would allow you to disconnect if needed & also be a good connection.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Billy said:
You could also use a Terminal Block which would allow you to disconnect if needed & also be a good connection.

two bulky and leaves to much exposed...

Billy

Name
BH

Jim Martin said:
Billy said:

two bulky and leaves to much exposed...

Well if you can put it in the Control Box shouldn't be too Bulky & you can also get Terminal Block Covers if exposure is a worry.

My Travel Trailer & AT has a Terminal Block for many connections.

I just prefer to be able to disconnect if needed but I am a Glass Half Full type of person.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Jamesh921 said:
I always solder hardwire connections to keep them from vibrating loose. Then use heat shrink on them.

Just a suggestion to prevent future headaches

A properly connected butt splice will never come undone.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael

Get blue line to send you a wire schedule and a logical diagram and just hard wire.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman

That looks just like the 24 pin truss connectors we used to use for dimmable 120 volt 12 can stage lighting trusses. I do not remember the manufacture of the connectors.... I do not remember alot from my roadie days...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom