Jim Pemberton

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Jim, first let me say congratulations for being the man of the year.

I really like the article on rayon as well and wonder if you can expand on a few points.

From reading it it seems that the few problems I've had from upholstery may be that it was rayon without me knowing it. Mainly I'm talking about getting water marks from not wetting it out evenly prior to extraction. They have both been white. If I remember right I was not able to get rid of a few of the existing water marks.

You mention some microfibers/suede may contain rayon as well. Any idea how much rayon can be in those. Is it enough to create problems. I bet I've cleaned a bunch of those but so far so good.

Few questions
Does hydrogen peroxide break down rayon?.

Also, how do you test for rayon. I would think the customer would not know seeing that it is an inexpensive material.

thanks and again CONGRATS!

Ps, oh yeah, the only thing I don't like about the article is that I am more aware of rayon's possible problems and you have made me afraid, yes very afraid :lol:

Albert[/list]

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Albert; I wouldn't have gotten POY without this place!

Rayon has some of the worst problems with watermarks, but they can occur on any fabric. Distilled water is good to both prevent and sometimes remove them. Often, you'll need an oxidizer.

I don't have a percentage/number on the rayon microfibers yet. Some upscale furniture stores that I work with have made me aware of this in the last few months. Rayon is coming back in upholstery much like polyester is coming back in carpet.

Bad news all around.

You're safest to keep your concentration of hydrogen peroxide at 3% or below on cellulose fibers.

Its difficult to accurately determine rayon in a burn test. It will burn and leave a soft ash, much like cotton and linen. If its blended with polyester (a fairly common practice), you'll get a combination of a hard "plastic" ash as well as some parts that crumble and leave a gray or black mark on your fingers.

It pays to burn test microfibers, not only because of the rayon trend, but also the tri cast (not to be confused with bi cast) leather materials that are essentially "leather sweepings" glued to a backing.

(Sorry for the long thread Marty)

:lol:

-JB-

Name
JB
It pays to burn test microfibers, not only because of the rayon trend, but also the tri cast (not to be confused with bi cast) leather materials that are essentially "leather sweepings" glued to a backing.
ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDIN' ME?:?

PS.
How about a spit (water) test for strength? At least for non-blended fibers anyhow.

A

anspach

yep Congrats Jim on Man of the Year
the most ethical man in the cleaning industry

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Rob.

I think JB is referring to the fact that rayon is weaker when wet and cotton stronger. If you can get a long enough thread, put the middle in your mouth to wet it (out of your customers sight). Then try to pull it apart; cotton will be difficult to pull apart and will cut into your fingers. Rayon will pull apart like wet paper.

With microfibers you don't have a long enough "string" in most cases.

No, I'm not kidding about the tri cast leather. Every time I think I've found the cheapest, most poorly thought out way to make something we end up cleaning, I find something even worse.

RichardnTn

Congratulations Jim on being the "Man of the Year." I know of no one who deserves it more. Besides a great business person, you are a Gentleman ... Richard R

Scott

RichardnTn said:
Congratulations Jim on being the "Man of the Year." I know of no one who deserves it more. Besides a great business person, you are a Gentleman ... Richard R

Here here!

Congrats, Jim. A long-overdue award.

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom