Jobs you know you’re not gonna get……

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Get a call….

Her - I have a few chairs, recliners, sectional and rug that need cleaning.
Me - I will need to set up with you so I can se exactly what you need cleaned since you have multiples pieces.

Her - Sure.

So I set up for an inspection. I go there about 15 minutes away. When arrive she tours me around. She points out a pair of her and the husbands favorite recliners.

She says with a bright smile, eyes gleaming and a proud voice...”this one I got at the goodwill for $50 and it was in great shape and this one over here I got at another time for $75”

I knew the moment she said the magical compound words, this is a waste of my time…I said to myself…she is not gonna pay more mula to have them clean then what she paid for them at the smorgasbord store.

I knew I was not going to get this job. But i proceeded anyway. I get back home. Later write up the proposal with reservations in my head and send it to her. 4 recliners, 1 sectional, 4 dining chairs and a rug. With discount just a bit under 700.

Her reply back a few days later….”It was nice meeting you last week and we appreciate your taking the time to view the upholstery job.
However, as seniors living on an extremely tight budget, we have decided not to move on this project at this time”

I knew this was one job I was not gonna get…. For the next time I might have to ask “how much you pay for the pieces, what store did you buy them at…how old are you and can you show me proof of income”

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Get a call….

Her - I have a few chairs, recliners, sectional and rug that need cleaning.
Me - I will need to set up with you so I can se exactly what you need cleaned since you have multiples pieces.

Her - Sure.

So I set up for an inspection. I go there about 15 minutes away. When arrive she tours me around. She points out a pair of her and the husbands favorite recliners.

She says with a bright smile, eyes gleaming and a proud voice...”this one I got at the goodwill for $50 and it was in great shape and this one over here I got at another time for $75”

I knew the moment she said the magical compound words, this is a waste of my time…I said to myself…she is not gonna pay more mula to have them clean then what she paid for them at the smorgasbord store.

I knew I was not going to get this job. But i proceeded anyway. I get back home. Later write up the proposal with reservations in my head and send it to her. 4 recliners, 1 sectional, 4 dining chairs and a rug. With discount just a bit under 700.

Her reply back a few days later….”It was nice meeting you last week and we appreciate your taking the time to view the upholstery job.
However, as seniors living on an extremely tight budget, we have decided not to move on this project at this time”

I knew this was one job I was not gonna get…. For the next time I might have to ask “how much you pay for the pieces, what store did you buy them at…how old are you and can you show me proof of income”

You did exactly the right thing:

Once you show up to give a proposal, you treat your customer like they were referred by an interior designer and live in a palace. Then you give them your proposal, in person or later, and let them make the decision.

You treated them with respect, and that isn't forgotten. Also, every time you do your job right, whether in sales or in performing the service, you get better at it in some way.

No good act in business, or in life, is a wasted effort.

Finally: I have seen more than one case of cleaners who decline a job and end up still getting negative reviews based on how the conducted themselves.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest"

--Mark Twain

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson

Once you show up to give a proposal, you treat your customer like they were referred by an interior designer and live in a palace. Then you give them your proposal, in person or later, and let them make the decision.

You treated them with respect, and that isn't forgotten. Also, every time you do your job right, whether in sales or in performing the service, you get better at it in some way.

Finally: I have seen more than one case of cleaners who decline a job and end up still getting negative reviews based on how the conducted themselves.

--Mark Twain
Thanks Jim. I appreciate that.

An old timer schooled me a while back to be careful how you talk and treat every call and job or else they go postal on you thru google reviews.
And never talk politics…that will definitely get you in trouble if they don’t like your politicAl affiliation.

yup..google can be your friend but also is not your friend. negative review is easily written about you. It’s a son of a gun trying to remove which often is not.

ive

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I showed up to show a truck mount for a cleaner I had never met this summer.

When I arrived at his home, the yard looked like it was an abandoned property. The inside had peeling paint, was decorated in "Early Yard Sale", and had a pervasive aroma of mold, cat urine, and rotten food.

He looked even worse.

I treated him with all of the dignity and respect he deserved, but of course he couldn't begin to find financing.

It was completely my mistake for not qualifying him better, even after 44 years of traveling to meet carpet cleaners to show them machines.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
I showed up to show a truck mount for a cleaner I had never met this summer.

When I arrived at his home, the yard looked like it was an abandoned property. The inside had peeling paint, was decorated in "Early Yard Sale", and had a pervasive aroma of mold, cat urine, and rotten food.

He looked even worse.

I treated him with all of the dignity and respect he deserved, but of course he couldn't begin to find financing.

It was completely my mistake for not qualifying him better, even after 44 years of traveling to meet carpet cleaners to show them machines.

Shoulda asked for photos....

Brian H

Name
Brian H
For me, the ones that i know we aren't going to get are the ones that want a price for literally everything we clean. You know it's most likely the competition price shopping us! When I get those, I lay it on thick, going overboard to be nice and helpful! Every now and then, it will actually be a real customer that wants to book.

And even it it is the competition, I want them to be blown away with our professionalism!!

toddvincent

Name
Pure Dry Floor Care Inc
If you went to all the effort to get there, you needed to sell the job right then. you didn’t need to go home and then write it up that cut the chances even more down. Price it in front of her and walk her through the process and the value. Then put her on the spot by stating two dates and time to get it done get it scheduled right then and there. Not saying this would have worked but gives a higher percentage. Also don’t look at things like you would do personally. Some of our upholstery prices are ridiculous. I wouldn’t pay them but am always surprised at what some do.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
If you went to all the effort to get there, you needed to sell the job right then. you didn’t need to go home and then write it up that cut the chances even more down. Price it in front of her and walk her through the process and the value. Then put her on the spot by stating two dates and time to get it done get it scheduled right then and there. Not saying this would have worked but gives a higher percentage. Also don’t look at things like you would do personally. Some of our upholstery prices are ridiculous. I wouldn’t pay them but am always surprised at what some do.

Great points!

I would add that many of us use a upholstery tool over every inch of fabric on a sofa, when a single pass with a sponge or mitt with a well formulated shampoo is more than enough.

Uph cleaning doesnt have to be so time consuming, and painful.

Jim's Fine Fabric course is chock full of VLM tricks these days, consider that before you 20 flow, 200° and 16" of lift in paper thin fabric guys belittle the concept..

toddvincent

Name
Pure Dry Floor Care Inc
it is time consuming. if you hand vacuum everything like we do and you are supposed to, prespray, brush in, extract, scotch, and brush in. very time consuming. we get 250 a sofa and 350 for normal sectional. a lot of people won't pay that but then again a lot will. but in the end its what is needed to be profitable

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I actually wanted a bit of time to think on a fair price. Didn’t want to shoot off a low price but not a high one either.

yeah I don’t think I would pay myself my pricing but I am astonished when someone else does.

it a weird business that way.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Great points!

I would add that many of us use a upholstery tool over every inch of fabric on a sofa, when a single pass with a sponge or mitt with a well formulated shampoo is more than enough.

Uph cleaning doesnt have to be so time consuming, and painful.

Jim's Fine Fabric course is chock full of VLM tricks these days, consider that before you 20 flow, 200° and 16" of lift in paper thin fabric guys belittle the concept..
Totally agree…amen goes right there. Learned a couple of things that otherwise would not have. Even if you learn ONE thing that can make it easier and profitable…it’s worth the while.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I would have had her text me photos of what she wanted cleaned and gave her a price. No need to waste a trip on a non-revenue task.
Yes thats an option. But With jobs that are sold the moment they call, yes photos are a good thing.

here’s the thing…even though you might not get the job, she will remember you. When someone else within her scope has a need and she knows they can pay, she just might refer them to you.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Photos save everyone's time-- even the prospect.
But Photos are not needed when the caller starts the conversation with-- "I have a small job, what's your price." I tell them my minimum 1st, which sometimes ends the call quickly.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I remember doing a condo in a large high rise once and the security guard asked me to give him an estimate on cleaning all the halls and common areas. I really didn't think he had the authority to do much but I had nothing better to do at that moment. Turns out that he's the brother in law of the developer. About a $3000 job twice a year and I had that building for about 15 years until they switched property management. You never know

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I remember doing a condo in a large high rise once and the security guard asked me to give him an estimate on cleaning all the halls and common areas. I really didn't think he had the authority to do much but I had nothing better to do at that moment. Turns out that he's the brother in law of the developer. About a $3000 job twice a year and I had that building for about 15 years until they switched property management. You never know
Wow. Very nice.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Matt Middleton

--Mark Twain
Ditto!

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Always treat everyone with Kindness and respect-- because it pays off in many ways.
Congrats Ron.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Wasn’t expecting to get this. But hey. It’s regular daytime hours. Theater only opens on the weekends!!!
1694618960074.jpeg

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I remember years ago I got cursed at and yelled at on a job site I was called to bid on glass tint removal. The building was under reconstruction. The foreman was a short Italian with a bulldog attitude. Dude layed me out in front of his crew for walking in without a hard hat. I calmly apologized, yes sir no sir was my attitude. After complying then did my walk thru, on my way out the foreman litterally ran to me to apologize for yelling at me in front of his crew. He said he had to do that in front of his crew to keep his image. No problem with me, shook his hand and we departed.

About a year later I see this guy across the street from my office, working on a building under reconstruction. Went up to him. He remembered me. We laughed and talked a bit. I asked him who was moving into the building. He shared some info with me then said he would put in a word for me to the new owners of the building.

Well wouldn't you know, that business relationship with the new owners lasted 22 yrs! All because he put in a word for me but more over he remembered my diplomatic response a year earlier at the other building he was working at that he yelled and cursed at me for not wearing a hard hat.

Careful how you respond (not reply) back to anyone when out on the field even if they become belligerent. You never know how much of a bridge that person can be to your crossing over to a lasting business relationship.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I remember years ago I got cursed at and yelled at on a job site I was called to bid on glass tint removal. The building was under reconstruction. The foreman was a short Italian with a bulldog attitude. Dude layed me out in front of his crew for walking in without a hard hat. I calmly apologized, yes sir no sir was my attitude. After complying then did my walk thru, on my way out the foreman litterally ran to me to apologize for yelling at me in front of his crew. He said he had to do that in front of his crew to keep his image. No problem with me, shook his hand and we departed.

About a year later I see this guy across the street from my office, working on a building under reconstruction. Went up to him. He remembered me. We laughed and talked a bit. I asked him who was moving into the building. He shared some info with me then said he would put in a word for me to the new owners of the building.

Well wouldn't you know, that business relationship with the new owners lasted 22 yrs! All because he put in a word for me but more over he remembered my diplomatic response a year earlier at the other building he was working at that he yelled and cursed at me for not wearing a hard hat.

Careful how you respond (not reply) back to anyone when out on the field even if they become belligerent. You never know how much of a bridge that person can be to your crossing over to a lasting business relationship.

A great story!

I'll share that with people in classes, but also with my children as a good life's lesson too.

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom