Jump The Shark for ICS

Mikey P

Administrator
Three times now I've gone to the head and studied this article while passing the time.

Sorry to beAt a dead horse here, but I just can't get over the Grilajva red wine article..

Are things that dead in this industry that Evan makes this 4th grade attempt at journalism the cover/feature article of the month?
Not only is the entire cover hyping this literary swill but a page two editorial talks it up even more!

Sadly enough, after the poor reader gets subjected to the up/over selling BS we get a in depth 3 whole step class on how to get rid of a wine stain! Whoopee!

Spray a 2 part product and whop it with a brush.

Thats it. :shock:

Wamm Bamm, we're led to believe thats all it will take each and every time. Way to go Sherm!

No mention of various carpet fiber types, not a word about how to rinse out previous spotting attempt residues, nor any suggestions of what to do when a 2 part solution does not work,which is often enough to go over UV lights or leaving the submerged stain under plastic wrap or a plate for prolonged exposure before risking the introduction of heat from a steamer or clothes iron

Read the colored quotes and tell me your 4th grader could not write with more intelect..

.Hi there, and welcome. If you want to learn simple, step-by-step professional techniques to remove stubborn stains, you have come to the right place.

Let’s say you show up to the job and the client has a red wine stain. First, assure her she called the right company, as you are a red-wine removal expert, and you will do everything within your power to remove the stain using science, training and high-tech equipment.

Red Wine
Ask the customer to show you the stain. As though you are a doctor diagnosing an illness, tell her she has a specialty situation. Tell her what you charge to remove this “cancer” and that you can do it right now.

Wine is an organic substance and should be treated with a two-part oxidizer.
“I know this is a lot of money, and I would be more than happy to help you find a cheaper company, but 95 percent of the cleaners out there won’t be able to get this out.”

Let her know that if you can’t improve the situation by 90% there is no charge. “Mrs. Jones, would you like me to help you today?”

Step 1. Apply Part A first; this is the oxidizer. The oxidizer needs to be absorbed into the fiber. Be sure to remove any excess moisture from the carpet yarns by blotting with a dry towel prior to treatment.
Consider charging top dollar for a wine stain only if it is the only work the customer wants taken care of. There is usually potential for more work, so ask for it.

If they haven’t had their entire home professionally cleaned in the last twelve months, suggest that now is a great time and, if they allow you to do it today, you will throw the stain in for free.

Step 2. Apply Part B. This is the alkaline activator.
Let’s say you would have charged $229 to remove the wine stain. Cleaning the whole home, on the other hand, nets you $539. That’s a $310 increase and a win/win for you and the customer. They save $229, and you increased the profit for the company $310.

Step 3. Agitate with a tamping brush or carpet rake; you can see the product working.
Remember to ask your customers questions. “Did you use anything to try to remove this stain?” “How did it happen?” “How long has the stain been there?” “What are your expectations?” (ok, so what actions does the reader take once the questions are answered?)

Before
Share with the customer this is a specialty stain that is not going to come out with regular cleaning. This stain will need the proper science in order for it to be removed.

Tell the customer you will do your best, but you can’t guarantee the stain be 100-percent removed. If you improve the situation by 90 percent, would she be happy?

After
In life and your job, always give a 100 percent. Rise to the occasion, give it all you got; you will be glad you did no matter what the outcome.

Here is how to remove red wine. For this example we’re using Prochem’s Stain Rescue, but there are many other excellent products out there.

If the stain doesn’t come out, repeat steps 1-3.

Good luck! (good luck! GOOD LUCK!!??? are you kidding? I need a bucket.)

George Grijalva and Sherman Guffy

Flat out pathetic if you ask me.

One good thread on the subject could have been taken off the ICS BB and it would have held far more information and worth than that juvenile, albeit first, attempt.

Three thumbs down.

Get Evan a date with Lavern and Shirley.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
$229 to remove a red wine stain?? WTF!!!??? for another $100-$200 you can replace the carpet in the entire room...CD has a product called "Red Alert" and we charge $20.00 per stain (up to 6"X6")...

R

R W

Let’s say you would have charged $229 to remove the wine stain. Cleaning the whole home, on the other hand, nets you $539. That’s a $310 increase and a win/win for you and the customer. They save $229, and you increased the profit for the company $310.

Again, if I told one of my customers that I would charge them $229 for a stain, I'd be walking away with 3 shoes.......2 on my feet, and 1 in my ass!

Now, some of you have the market for those prices, and that's great. But it wouldn't fly around here, except for those few uber-wealthy residences. In fact I refered one of the Cermacks for an oriental rug spot dye, and I believe he got around $500 for the small job. But the rug was probably worth $50,000.

Good luck with your marketing....

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I wonder why no one from camp Richard Simmons has responded in defense of the article?

John Q Public demands a rebuttal!

CleanEvo

George is not in the service business, anyone who see's his customers as an ATM machine has issues.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm surprised that there wasn't much commentary on the article on ICS.

I think those that believe today's consumer is susceptible to that treatment need to read Bob Hodge's ("RW") post in this thread once again. All business and credible news publications are talking about today's new frugal consumer and how their buying habits have changed, likely will remain changed, for years to come.

That customer may not look for the cheapest carpet cleaner in town, but they will be unlikely to fall for that type of presentation.

The person buying carpet cleaning today is generally better educated and makes more money than most of us do. Treating them in such a manner will earn you contempt, not profits.

R

R W

Jim Pemberton said:
I'm surprised that there wasn't much commentary on the article on ICS.

I think those that believe today's consumer is susceptible to that treatment need to read Bob Hodge's ("RW") post in this thread once again. All business and credible news publications are talking about today's new frugal consumer and how their buying habits have changed, likely will remain changed, for years to come.

That customer may not look for the cheapest carpet cleaner in town, but they will be unlikely to fall for that type of presentation.

The person buying carpet cleaning today is generally better educated and makes more money than most of us do. Treating them in such a manner will earn you contempt, not profits.

Obviously, if you are going out for that stain only, you have to charge for your time. I would do it for a reasonable charge for my regulars, knowing that I will be back. In fact, I have one regular that has a white berber that calls me out at least once a month for spills, and a touch up here and there. He's a politician, and always is entertaining people. So spills happen.

diamond brian

"No mention of various carpet fiber types, not a word about how to rinse out previous spotting attempt residues, nor any suggestions of what to do when a 2 part solution does not work,which is often enough to go over UV lights or leaving the submerged stain under plastic wrap or a plate for prolonged exposure before risking the introduction of heat from a steamer or clothes iron".

The photos showed removal of a wine spot on new carpet. They article contained information on removing a wine spill from new carpet.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
A disjointed and poorly written article that I kept looking for the rest of the story.

If it's on a weekend(emergency call) it's 200-250 for me or half that for a regular appointment.

Usually end up doing a room or 2 anyway while there.

Terry

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I don't think anyone has a problem with a high minimum charge for specialty services, especially on weekends or perhaps high value rugs.

The article doesn't infer that, though. It infers that its a great way to build a job through fear and misrepresentation or at best enhancement of the severity of the problem.

Bjorn

anyone see the video of him removing blood from carpet that carpet should have been removed and disposed of

and every video of him is a add for prochem spotters and such

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom