Just how Green are you?

Mikey P

Administrator
Mytee John called today to give me some crap about my diet having something to do with being "Green"

Read on...

Logical Environmental Reasoning
for a Vegetarian Lifestyle

Introduction

Vegetarianism has always been an interest of mine. However, I didn't become a vegetarian until Fall of 1999. Since that time I've learned more and more about the effects of vegetarianism on our society. But, I could never find reliable information to support some of the claims. Not being one who enjoys blind faith, I searched and searched for evidence to support the the specific claims that vegetarianism positively effects the environment.

Most radical vegan/vegetarian groups push for animal rights. But many people don't care about animal rights, do they? Of my reasons for being vegetarian, animal rights is lowest on the list--which is not to state that I don't care about animal rights, it's just not as important as the other reasons, especially environmentalism. So, what benefits are there for vegetarianism?

This essay aims to explain logically, using verifiable evidence, why a vegetarian lifestyle will help our planet and the Earth's population as a whole.

Could Vegetarianism Positively Effect the Environment and Economics?

What I’ve found from the radical pro-vegan pamphlets is a lot of unverifiable data stating how livestock creation destroys the environment. Anyone can give out statistical information, 78% of the world’s population knows that. However, the argument is logical.

First lets start with what is oversimplified factual reasoning without the use of numbers and statistics.

Land + Water = Crops

Land + Water + Crops = Livestock

Obviously there are more variables. However, for our purposes here, this is all I need to address.

Looking at the statements above, I don’t think that anyone can argue, aside from other variables, that this is what it takes to grow crops and to raise livestock. This simple breakdown already demonstrates an easy point: We all know that the Earth has limited resources, right? I mean there aren’t any places on the planet that I know of where spontaneous growth of resources takes place. We only have so much water, so much land, so many trees, so many humans, so many mountains, so many flowers, etc., etc. That point is not arguable.

So, look at the statements above. Land + Water = Crops. Let me rephrase that: of the limited land and water on the planet, some land plus some water equals some crops. This land is always used as farm land and nothing else. This water is used to grow crops and nothing else. Let’s look at the next statement: Of the limited land, water, and crops on the planet, some land plus some water plus some crops equals some livestock. And aside from the hundreds of other variables, there still is no argument, and I believe that I am still stating facts:

There is not an unlimited amount of land- Fact. There is not an unlimited amount of water-Fact. There is not an unlimited amount of crops- Fact. There is not an unlimited amount of livestock- Fact.

Let me add another fact: The world’s population is increasing. Adding another fact: those humans need a place to live, water to drink, and food to eat. At this point I have stated six generalized facts. No numbers, no statistics. All facts.

Now let’s reason through this:

If there is limited land, limited water, limited crops and limited livestock then, where will these humans live? What will these humans drink? What will these humans eat? How will these humans survive?

Is this an essay for birth control? It very well could be. At this point, I could take this reasoning into several different directions. And as you start to think about this, hopefully your mind will open and see that this is a global issue that will effect everyone on our planet. In fact, I encourage you to think through this in any direction that has popped in to your head. And even consider applying this towards other limited resources: oil, vitamins, medicine, doctors and clothing. The simple fact is that the Earth has limited resources and as our population grows, and if things do not change, they will be used to depletion.

But, my cause today is vegetarianism. So, now, how does vegetarianism help with these limited resources? Very simply: if you look at the two statements: Land + Water = Crops and Land + Water + Crops = Livestock you can see that the limited resources are repeated in both statements. By eating meat, humans are using limited resources to create crops. Then additional limited resources plus those crops are used to create livestock. Wouldn’t it make sense to just eat the crops?

Before I move forward, I must point out that the nutritional argument for meat consumption is clearly obsolete. Fact: many people survive today without consuming any animal products. Overall, these people live in better health than meat-eaters. And I will provide fact for this statement from the American Dietetic Association:

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. - http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ad ... U_HTML.htm

Moving forward.

By limiting or abstaining from meat consumption, less of our limited resources would be consumed. Why is that? I will pick on cows because they are easiest on which to pick. Cows are large animals that take up a large amount of space. They require land on which to walk, grass on which to graze, and plenty of water to drink. They also eat grain and other crops as food. If cows were removed from our diet, all of the land they use, all of the water they drink, and all of the crops they consume would be available for human consumption. As the population increases, the need for land increases, the need for water increases, and the need for food increases. By putting meat on the menu, less land, less water, and less food is available.

After forgetting the statistics I had read and by reasoning through this in my own head, I figured that there has to be someone out there who isn’t a militant vegan and has little to gain from “lying” about these statistical facts. Believe me, it’s difficult to find a scientific organization without ties for or against the meat industry to back up or contest this reasoning. And, as mentioned, I’m not one who enjoys blind faith. I want to know! I want to be validated!

One day while watching The Learning Channel (TLC), I learned that in the Biosphere, all food was vegetarian. I was fascinated to find that because of limited resources, meat was left off of the menu. This was a group of scientists who had come to the conclusion that because of limited resources, vegetarianism was the most environmentally and economically friendly food-source. And it went beyond that, having the plants for food also converted the carbon dioxide to oxygen to give the Biosphere breathable air.

The Biosphere project is a “testing ground” for sustaining life during long space flights, on a space station, or on an in-hospitable planet. A group of scientists are given limited space, limited water, and limited resources and are contained in this “dome” for a length of time without any outside resources coming in or without inside waste coming out. It is supposed to be a completely self-contained environment.

Given limited resources, just like our planet, scientists devised the best way to sustain life in a healthy and humane way. It was determined that plant sources for nutrition would be the best all-around answer for many reasons. For one thing, they don’t use much room. If they were to raise livestock in the Biosphere, they would not only need a place to grow the plants, but also a place to grow the livestock. This would impede on the total equipment they could take with them as there would only be so much room. On top of that, not only would the crops need water but the livestock would need water, increasing their need for fresh water. And even further on from that, there would be a substantial increase in waste coming from not only the humans, but now the animals as well. Plus, they would need an area to slaughter the animals which would create an issue of leftover bones and the potential to cause bacteria and illness throughout the dome.

It was decided that a plant-based diet would make the most sense as it would take up a small amount of space, use a small amount of water, create little to no waste, would provide a pleasant and relaxing “green” environment within the dome and it would convert carbon dioxide to oxygen for fresh air.

Why is our planet any different? Isn’t our planet just a big Biosphere? Our planet has limited resources just like the Biosphere. Don’t the same rules apply? The Biosphere is our planet, just on a smaller scale. By continuing to industrialize livestock all over our planet, we are using more and more of the Earth’s resources. Forests are being destroyed for livestock. Food that could be given to the Earth’s poor are being used to feed livestock. Water is being used to raise livestock which could be used for humans or crops. The Earth’s resources are being used and we’re burning the candle on both ends.

Among many poor uses of the world’s fresh water supply, in his article “Making Every Drop Count”, published in the February 2001 issue of Scientific American, Peter H. Gleick states that “Growing a pound of corn can take between 100 and 250 gallons of water…But growing the grain to produce a pound of beef can require between 2000 and 8500 gallons.” That is a startling difference.

Just a pound of beef! Conservatively taking 2000 gallons as the mean for producing a pound of beef, think about how much 2000 gallons of water is. How much water do you drink in a day? A gallon? Half a gallon? How many gallons of water do you think you use when you shower? 30-40 gallons? Every time you flush the toilet in a day, how many gallons? 15-20? Every time you wash your hands? 2-3 gallons? Let’s go for the high end and say that the average human uses 100 gallons of water in a day. After 20 average days of your use of water, you would have created 1 pound of beef. 1 pound. You could conservatively eat for 2-3 days on a pound of beef. Now think about the fact that it is possible to take four times as much water to create a pound of beef-80 days worth of your daily water consumption to make 1 pound of beef. The water that you use over about 3 months time will produce a pound of beef. ONE POUND.

Now look at the alternative. A pound of corn is grown using 100-250 gallons of water. How long will that last? 2-3 days? Obviously a pound of corn would get boring and it isn’t nutritionally sound, but if all you had was a pound of corn, you could eat it over 2-3 days. Now looking at the high end, if we’ve reasoned that the average American uses 100 gallons of water a day, how many days worth of water would it take to make a pound of corn? 2-3 days. And how long could you live on a pound of corn? 2-3 days.

Again, I will point out that aside from the numbers given in Mr. Gleick’s article, all other numbers are purely speculative. I’ve tried to create numbers based in reason and based on averages above or below the point I’m trying to make. Perhaps the average American uses 200 gallons of water a day and it only takes, on average, 2000 gallons of water for a pound of beef. My point is still valid. My speculation may be purely speculation but it is based in reality and it does prove my point.

Sandra Postel, in her article “Growing more Food with less Water” also in the February 2001 Scientific American, states that “The Typical North American diet…requires twice as much water to produce as the less meat-intensive diets common in many Asian and some European countries. Eating lower on the food chain could allow the same volume of water to feed two Americans instead of one, with no loss in overall nutrition.” How is it that several scientists without ties to the meat industry can clearly state the ecological and environmental benefits of a vegetarian diet and we as Americans and the world as a whole are left in the dark? In my opinion, tradition, pride and money.

Everyone around the world today only knows what our parents and society has told us and what we have seen in the media. And what do we see? Meat is what everyone eats and meat is what wealthy people eat. Our government has a lot to lose if meat consumption is cut back. The government collects taxes from every piece of the puzzle-seeds, water, labor, fuel, equipment-everything.

Think about it: They tax the seeds the farmer buys, they tax the water the seeds need to grow, they tax the sale of the equipment used to plow the field, they tax the labor used to plow the field, then they tax the shipment of the crops, they tax the sale of the crops to the livestock producers, they tax the equipment used to produce the livestock, they tax the labor used to produce livestock, they tax the water consumed by the livestock, they tax the shipment of the livestock to the slaughterhouse, they tax the labor at the slaughterhouse, the equipment at the slaughterhouse, they tax the shipment of the meat to the grocery, they tax the sale to the grocery, and then they tax the labor to set up and sell the meat. Oh yeah, and they tax the grocery and the slaughterhouse for the packaging and equipment used to package the meat for resale.

Sounds like a great business! They get their cut all the way through. If we were to cut out the livestock and just shipped the crops right to the grocery, the government would lose money.

Who else would lose money? The industrialized meat manufacturers who spend millions of dollars lobbying the government just to make sure the meat business is kept alive. Supposedly some of the members of the FDA committee who created the four food groups and the recommended servings of meat had ties to the meat industry. How is it that the FDA says eat meat and in a great quantity but then the ADA states that a vegetarian diet is healthier? Someone isn’t telling someone else all that is going on.

In Mr. Gleick’s article, he mentions that reform in water consumption “requires fundamental changes in how we think about water, and such changes are coming about slowly”. This not only applies to water, but also to land and other limited Earth resources. Tradition and conventional thinking are slowing things down. Why can’t we let go of tradition and do what’s right? “Rather than trying endlessly to find enough water to meet hazy projections or future desires, it is time to find a way to meet our present and future needs with water that is already available, while preserving the ecological cycles that are so integral to human well-being.”

Clearly there is enough evidence and scientific backing to encourage a vegetarian lifestyle. Our health, our future, our children’s health and future all depend on it. With the recent outbreaks of Mad Cow and Hoof and Mouth, maybe our living planet is trying to tell us something? Perhaps the Earth is combating the overpopulation of livestock and destruction of the planet in its own way. Will we listen? Only if enough people start to realize that we are heading down a dangerous path. We are technologically advanced enough to not need meat as nutrition. But the message is not getting out.

Americans have a pre-conceived notion that eating meat is a reflection of health and prosperity. The “chicken in every pot” mentality has been passed down from generation to generation and it’s difficult to break--even if we know it’s wrong. Clearly something’s got to give and I hope it’s not a compromise of humankind.

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances of survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

- Albert Einstein

Article written by Timothy B. Rutherford

Mikey P

Administrator
The major causes of disease and death in western countries are chronic cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, and cancers. These diseases have been linked to diets high in meat and animal fat, and low in fruits, vegetables, unprocessed carbohydrates and fiber. Extensive research data have led many nutrition authorities to conclude that westerners should make major changes in their diet and lifestyle to promote better health and reduce risk factors for chronic disease. In effect, current consensus guidelines encourage Americans and other westerners to adopt a diet based more on plant rather than animal foods. Why should this be?

Standard western nutritional dogma "classifies" human beings as omnivores. The statement "humans are omnivores" has been repeated so often that it has acquired the patina of received truth. But like a patina, the "truth" inherent in this statement is only microns deep.

While it may be true that most humans are "behavioral" omnivores (that is, they choose to include meat in their diet) this behavioral fact says nothing about whether including meat in our diet is an appropriate choice from an anatomic, physiologic and heath perspective. What is surprising is that despite abundant evidence showing that large amounts of meat and other animal foods in one's diet leads to all types of chronic diseases, and that varied plant-based diets promote better heath, the idea that humans are supposed to be omnivores has rarely been challenged or critically examined by the scientific community. Thus, although national health policy guidelines clearly direct us away from animal foods and towards a plant-based diet, many in the scientific community remain oblivious to what is being implied. That implication is that humans are not omnivores inasmuch as increasing amounts of animal foods in the diet promote increasing levels of chronic disease.

Clearly, it is difficult to arrive at or recognize "the answer" if one never asks the appropriate question.

A Question of Design

Animals who eat meat and those who eat plants face very different issues when dinner time arrives. Plants, because they are sedentary, encase their tissues in tough fibrous coverings for support and protection, and thus require a large amount of digestive processing to extract nutritional value from them. By contrast, "meat" (in the form of live animals) usually does not want to be eaten and is, therefore, recalcitrant, combative and uncooperative - it tends to run away.

Accordingly, plant eaters (herbivores) are optimized for foraging, batch feeding and prolonged digestion, whereas meat eaters (carnivores/omnivores) are designed for predation and the consumption of huge, infrequent meals.

Meat eaters are all equipped for short bursts of extreme speed that allows them to ambush and/or run down prey. Their limbs have been lightened to allow for fast running and their paws have been modified into compact clubs armed with claws.

When tackling struggling prey, the most vulnerable parts of their anatomy - the abdomen and gonads - are shielded behind the muscular armored chest. Their incisors have been reduced to short pointed pegs, while their canines are huge sharp elongated daggers used for ripping and killing. Their jaw joint is on the same plane as their cheek teeth, and there is no horizontal side-to-side motion of the lower jaw.

This makes their jaws very stable and allows them to operate like a pair of shears. Their molars are sharp, jagged and blade-shaped. The upper molars vertically slide past the lower molars in a slicing motion when the jaw is closed. These animals do not chew their food. Instead, they slice off huge chunks of meat and swallow them whole. They do not have digestive enzymes in their saliva since flesh-digesting enzymes released in the unprotected mouth would quickly destroy the oral cavity.

Their strongly acidic stomachs are huge storage vats that account for 60-70% of the total capacity of their GI tracts. Meat has no fiber and is, therefore, easily digested. Thus, their small intestines are very short (only 3-6 times their body length) and are optimized for protein and fat absorption. Their large intestines are short straight and smooth and designed for evacuation purposes only.

What about "By-design" Omnivores?

The one design concession "by-design" omnivores such as bears and raccoons have made to plant eating is that one or more pairs of their molars have modified from sharp blades to flattened grinding surfaces.

This allows them to crush and swallow a limited amount and range of plant foods such as fruits, berries, roots and tubers. However, they otherwise retain the typical carnivore tooth design and jaw mechanics, and their short small intestines do not allow them to adequately handle large amounts of plant fiber. Hence, a true natural omnivore is a carnivore that has been minimally modified to eat a limited range of soft, pulpy plant foods, but is still equipped to run down, kill, dismember and consume prey.

I Herd That!

Large mammalian herbivores tend to be social animals living in large herds/communities/cities. Because they must cover significant distances looking for and gathering plant foods, their limbs are modified for prolonged energy-efficient standing and walking. Instead of claws, their nails are blunt and used for digging and peeling. They have muscular lips, a small mouth opening and well-developed cheek muscles.

This creates a "walled-in" oral cavity that facilitates the crushing and grinding action of chewing. The jaw joint is above the plane of the cheek teeth and the lower is "L-shaped" causing the upper molars to come to rest on top of the lower molars when the jaw is closed. This allows the jaw to function like a nut cracker rather than a pair of shears.

The upper molars cannot vertically slide past the lower molars. But because the lower jaw has a pronounced horizontal side-to-side motion, the upper and lower molars horizontally slide across one another creating the grinding action of chewing. Accordingly, the molars are not sharp and blade-shaped, but are squared, flat-topped and abut one another forming extended grinding surfaces. The incisors are broad, flattened and spade-shaped and used for cropping and peeling. The canines may be absent, as in cows and sheep; shortened and reduced, as in horses and humans; or dagger-like and used for defense, as in hippos and some primates. Herbivores also usually have carbohydrate digesting enzymes in their saliva that begins the process of digestion while food is still in the mouth. In fact, the purpose of chewing (including chewing the cud) is to mix food with digestive enzymes to facilitate the process of digestion.

Plant tissues contain large amounts of fibrous material. The end result is that plant foods require extensive processing to extract their nutritional content. Because of this, herbivores consume smaller, more frequent meals, and tend to have much longer and, in some cases, much more elaborate digestive tracts than their meat-eating counterparts.

In a typical herbivore, the stomach holds less than 30% of the total capacity of the GI tract. On the other hand, the small intestine is extremely long and is usually more than 10-12 times the body length and has an unlimited capacity for carbohydrate absorption. The large intestine or colon is also relatively long and complex and frequently has a pouched appearance.

Here's Looking at You

In every respect, humans show the anatomic and physiologic features typical of an herbivore. A full and complete discussion of these features is well beyond the scope of this short article. What follows is a random sampling of facts.

Upright posture leaves the human abdomen, ovaries and testes completely exposed and, potentially, fatally vulnerable. Whereas standing and walking are very energy-efficient for humans, running is not.

We are extremely slow runners and have very poor stamina. We have a carbohydrate-digesting enzyme in our saliva called salivary amylase.

The human esophagus does not handle poorly chewed food very well. Over 90% of the people who choke to death each year choke on meat.

Human body length (head to tail bone) is typically 2.5 to 3 feet. Thus, at >25-30 feet in length, the human small intestine is clearly designed for digesting plant material.

Only herbivores have an appendix. No matter how much fat and cholesterol you feed carnivores like dogs and cats, they NEVER develop coronary artery disease.

In places where people eat a high fiber, whole food diet, appendicitis and diverticulosis are unknown.

Studies in western countries have shown that on average, vegetarians have smarter children, suffer significantly lower rates of chronic disease, obesity and dementia, and live longer than their meat-eating counterparts.

So, to answer the question posed by the title of this piece: NO, we are NOT designed to eat meat!

And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food." - Genesis 1:29

Al

I'm slow cooking some venison chille right now, i threw in some extra veggies. 8)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Are you kidding me? Are you really comparing Humans to animals in ANY aspect of nature?
Mikey, you are smarter than that.

We don't need to run fast, we are smart.

Are balls suck up when in danger...Hense the term "Up Tight".

Our jaws move side to side to promote many things such as speech and personality.

I can go on and on with this of course but the simple answer is

You can't compare humans to any other creature whether you believe in total Evolution or Creationism.

The beginning of your article was saying that you need a balanced diet of both.
You can live on either, die on either.

Nothing you can do will prolong your life by much. You can make it more pleasant along the way but history shows that even the worst can die late and the best die young.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
another classic scroll, the problem is going to one extreme to the other. everyone needs meat as well as vegetables,

maker

Brian Robison said:
Are you kidding me? Are you really comparing Humans to animals in ANY aspect of nature?
Mikey, you are smarter than that.

Humans are animals.

Name
I'm Rick James
This whole "green" eating is just a scam, a passing trend. I am gonna continue to eat my double quarter pounder with fries cause I know they are just flubbing up the data to try and get me to go to Trader Joe's to shop......
:shock:

Lonny

Supportive Member
Uhhh lots of biased data here.
Why do we have binocular vision-with our eyes on the front of our skulls-not the sides?
Why canine teeth?
Why do we have the digestive enzymes present to digest vegetable and animal matter?

Most of the illnesses of our society today are from obesity and frakken laziness-not meat.

A balanced diet is essential for optimal health, this would include mostly grains, vegetables, fruit, and yes meat, fats.

As far as the more efficient argument, eh, I can buy that, but bones can be ground down and recycled to the plants and people just the same.
ANY organism lives off of either the living matter of other organisms or the deceased matter of other organisms- to live means other things must die. When we breath in we kill microorganisms by bathing them in a vat of hydrochloric acid prior to consuming them -barstewards, how could you?!?!

I do not believe it is healthy for people to eat so much meat. You do not need it with every meal, nor even every day. We do have a choice as to whether or not we consume animal life or plant life. We are built for both.
However, there is a reason we eat it-cause we can and the plants agree- especially the female, er Venus flytrap variety. :lol:

A small sample from a vegetarian site-http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm#omni

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
as far as chasing down prey, never saw a deer outrun an arrow or a bullet

I always liked that saying:

There's always room for moose, (or cows or pick an animal) right next to the mashed pototos and vegies

There's an old movie, The Roughriders, all these cowboys training to go to war with Rosevelt in Cuba, as one guy eats his steak he says, I can't remember the last time I had a vegetable!

Greenie

The answer is obvious, just need to eat humans and all will be well.

just bones and meat right?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikeyxj8 said:
one time I ate a 24oz. Ruth's Chris steak!

Now you're talking! One of the cool things about being a carpet cleaner is the prodigious quantity of food and beer we can consume. After an eleven hour day there is almost no limit of food I can eat. Fat guys get jealous watching me gorge for hours. But it is harder with vegan foods because of all the fiber.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom