Just one more post

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I want to say that being away from your business for a while and seeing what others in the same field are doing sure gives you a fresh perspective on things. Not that they are better or worse but just different. Each time I do this I come back fresh and rejuvenated. Made some changes in the structure and systems after my return and am looking forward to the results. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Al

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Well, first off: All of the cleaners I stayed with used Encap alot on residential and commercial. High fuel and equipment costs are one motivator. Here it is mostly commercial. Water damage jobs are done with more drying equipment than here. The cleaners are writing their own standards and getting them approved by the government. Participation is optional at this time. They feel the IICRC is not addressing specific issues in Oz (like natural fibers) so they are leaning away from them and setting up their own certification and training bodies. The cleaners in the same town share technical and marketing tips MUCH more than here. Some things are the same though. Not enough charge enough to expand. They work less hours I think. Time off, family, and quality of life are a little further up on the list. These are generalizations of course but what I observed. I guess the changes I made when I returned were to capitalize on my brothers advice about managing people: You can't change anyone but you can take advantage of their strengths and put them in positions where their weakness is not a deterrent. I also am trying to be less of a dictator and more of a facilitator to help others in the company be successful. This has been an ongoing process for many years. Gee, sure sounds good huh?
Al
PS The Roos are really ******* fast and big.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Oddly enough they all wear uniforms (shirts and pants or shorts) and in Shortwuns case they are tight and short. Delia looks a little better than Shorty in them. Some even wear ID badges. Very professional mob all in all.
Al

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Mikey P said:
Is it true they all wear wife beaters and flip flops to work?

I can honestly say I have seen some cleaners over here wear thongs and singlets like you described.

However, they are few and far between. Thongs (flip flops) and singlets (wife beaters) are standard after work apparel :)

Sounds like you may have had a run in, or near run in with a roo or two Al?

Jim

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I hit the tip of the tail of a Big Red in southeast WA in the Great Southern Forests. I was going about 50MPH. No harm no foul but he was just so amazingly fast. That was a confirmation that I am indeed a lucky bastard.
Al

John Watson

Hey Al, Sure is good of ya to report back about our upside down friends, especially the short one and Deila. I just want to clarify something you reported on. Them ain't shorts that Shorty's wearing, Them just littler than hims long pants that he finds in the specialty stores for the short and big people.. I knows cause I gets mine there too!!!!!
Glad you had a great trip, Helen and I need to do that someday....

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Al, I lost my pic of the white pointers, would you mind posting it here & giving my cheeky Alaskan friend a Collaroy Conclusion :wink:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Hi Al,

Sounds like you had a great trip. Sioux and I will be heading down the end of March. I will be presenting a two day seminar at the CleanExpo south of Brisbane on April 9 and 10.

But before hand Sioux and I are squeezing in a two week holiday. We are leaning toward staying on the east side of the continent. Maybe Queensland and NSW areas. Sioux is a big bird watcher/ nature freak. Ideas?

Island Boy

PS It sounds like the carpet cleaners Down Under are basically the same as our folks here. Good people that don't charge enough!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Aussies seem to be a little less skeptical than Americans, and seem to have bought into everything encap hucksters sold them. This mentality should make their cleaning standards an interesting read.

:roll:

roro

Name
Ross Craig
The Great Oz said:
The Aussies seem to be a little less skeptical than Americans, and seem to have bought into everything encap hucksters sold them. This mentality should make their cleaning standards an interesting read.

:roll:
The standard was written quite a few years ago and is a joint Oz/NZ standard. I believe that it was later used as the basis for the ISO standard.
One has also been written for upholstery.
The flood one is still in the process of preparation.

IICRC has recently trumpeted their involvement with ANSI which as I understand it is the American member of ISO. (International Standards Organisation)

If you think Aussies are less sceptical than Americans Brian then you are well overdue for a trip downunder. :shock:
roro

ps If you do come, visit us over the ditch as well and we will introduce you to some of the local sheep that Shortwun loves :roll: :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom