Kanna you speaka English?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just finished a small Chinese resturant (new carpet so I didn't mind the hour to clean), but they had the Momma -Son there to open up. She didn't know a word of English except "ThankYou" and "10 minute" and "how much". I was trying to explain that I didn't need a hot water hook up, but she " no understand". Well, we got through it with no problems. After seeing the kitchen, I will clean there but....."no eat here"!

It's amazing that she has been in the country for 20 or more years, made ton's of money from us Americans, but can't take the time to learn some basic English.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I wish she would learn English she could probably teach most Americans allot about work ethic and how to not piss away money they don’t have.

Bob Foster

I have a mother-in-law with slightly more vocabulary who has been in Canada for over 70 years. It comes from the mother of the family focused inward to the home and children. She is a very dedicated mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. She raised 8 children one of who died at the age of 10 years old.

She was a mail order bride straight from Japan. During the second world war she and the rest of the Sakamoto family had their west coast land confiscated and were interned in a war camp one province over away for the duration of the war. They never returned and were never given their land back. It was a large farm that grew strawberries and is now a part of a large residential area of Pitt Meadows BC.

I can hardly blame her for staying turned inward to her family.

29-05-201112-50-09PM.jpg

jic.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What does a cue ball and a foreigner have in common?

The harder you hit them.....The more english you get out of them. :mrgreen:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Bob Foster said:
I have a mother-in-law with slightly more vocabulary who has been in Canada for over 70 years. It comes from the mother of the family focused inward to the home and children. She is a very dedicated mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. She raised 8 children one of who died at the age of 10 years old.

She was a mail order bride straight from Japan. During the second world war she and the rest of the Sakamoto family had their west coast land confiscated and were interned in a war camp one province over away for the duration of the war. They never returned and were never given their land back. It was a large farm that grew strawberries and is now a part of a large residential area of Pitt Meadows BC.

I can hardly blame her for staying turned inward to her family.

29-05-201112-50-09PM.jpg

jic.jpg

Jeez...things were tough back then. My wifes Grandparents migrated from Mexico throught the South working the railroads, and ended up in Youngstown working the steelmills. They kept their mexican heritage (they threw some great parties!) but learned English, as they should have.

gavin

I love the Chinese restaurants.

there are a few of them I clean, and the more successful ones have someone there who can speak English to the guests, Mandarin to all of the part owners / family, and Spanish to the workers.

One of the funniest things they have said to me was "you don't work like a white man, you work hard, like china man" good repeat business, and great food.

The more restaurants I clean the more of them I know not to eat at, and a few ones I can.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Brian R, holy sh.. ya kill me.

To the internment camp post I say yep, tough times. I have rub elbows with many many yanks who lived and breathed that time in our history. But, that post is for another board in a different setting.

The thread today was about the inability to speekee the queens English in 2011. Tough times all over again. Use to be a time in our most recent history when emigrants (my family included) couldn't wait to learn English. Sooo not the case since interestingly the Korean Conflict and then the Vietnam War. Studies folks, not mine but none the less they're out there.

With mixed emotions I too experience an unbelievable lack of English comprehension in my neck of the woods and don't get me started on the cultural gap as well. But it's a new world and new age and the borders are open, been open fer a long time. Gotta make friends with a whole lot of things you wouldn't think you'd make friends with. Important thing is to stay loose and keep your humor about it all. At 49 years of age I'm keeping my eye on the ball and that's their bank draft or cash.

Wow. Let me school some of you guys on a few things. Let me ask these questions first though, Do you really think that these people that work their asses off from morning til night slaving in a kitchen, dont want to learn english or too lazy to learn english? Do you think learning english is harder than living under a communist regime? Or perhaps learning english is harder than coming to a brand new country and starting all over again?...The answer to these questions are quite obvious.

It's not that they dont want to learn english. I mean...Who the hell doesnt want to have a better understanding of the language of which country that theyre living in?! It would make everything soOoO much easier for them, dont you think?

Have you guys ever thought that possibly one of the main reason that some people dont speak english was because they never had the time to attend a ESL class? Maybe, they had other priorities like working as hard as possible to give their children the best possible future, A future that they didnt have back in china (or wherever).

Ps- Im bad at math, barely graduated H.S, and Im lazy as hell. DO you know what the older generations call me??...They call me Americanized.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
shit, i bet they know english PLENTY well......i think some of them like playing the foo (yet very sneaky)

plus they are the 1st wave...setting up shop for the others to come over and take over :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Name
Damon
You're right, Thang.

Assimilation is important, but not as important as wanting to work and contribute. I have tremendous respect for those that come here and make a success of it. A persons english skills aren't relevant.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree that people should definately learn to speak the language of their chosen country. But, by not knowing people's situation....Maybe, its better to have more understanding towards people instead of critisizing.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hey Thang,
It might be a little different when someone has lived here 5 or more years. Times can still be tough in the land of good and plenty but I've been in really nice houses where the tennants obviosly make some scratch and STILL no speeky the english.

I understand the guy who hasn't been here long or is on the street begging for money.

But I don't get the "highly educated" money makers and their families who are not enrolled in the local class.

Yes, every situation is different and really I refuse to judge or hold it against them....I'm just not like that.

But I will notice the obvious and even make fun of them a bit. But I make fun of everyone.

So please don't play the Woe is me ticket. Everyone has a story.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
What pisses me off is the fact that certain foreigner groups create their own culture inside the american culture and can live here 15-20years and still unable to speak the language.

Even if they have a good business and are well off it would only take an effort to go take a class and learn the language!!!

It is possible for one to work 60-80 hours a week and still make it to the night time class at the local college!!! Ask me how I know...

I call the stupid foreigners- stupid foreigners!!! And the smart ones- good americans!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Yes, I say I am not Chinese,

Yes, I have very funny knees,

I spika Engrish velly well,

But you Yanks only tell me, go to hell.

You cannot unnerstan my written word,

To spika face to face is like a turd,

You drive on rong side of street all day long,

Then tell me my Engrish velly rong.

We tink American man velly funny,

Live like King in land of milk and honey,

But walk a mile in my shoe in Ozzie land,

American soon realise life ain't so grand.

To travel oversea is big dream,

Make lotsa money and try and keep da cream,

Many soon realise Engrish not so easy we agree,

Wish we were as happy as Rawknee.

Wherever one travels throughout the world, you will always find people that can't speak the native tongue.

Many because they have never had the opportunity to learn it properly, & others that are simply unable to fully understand and speak it fluently.

Many have also been shunned because they can't speak the language of whatever country they now live in and feel upset about it, try as they may to master it.

After being married to a Filipino for nearly thirty years, I would say that for a foreigner trying to understand the English language, is about as easy as a man trying to understand the female mind.

My two kids speak better English than their mother, and, unfortunately, can no longer speak their native tongue.

It's even harder for those in other lands where there can be many different dialects where natives from one part cannot understand their own countrymen/women from a different part of that country.

It can be very hard, if not impossible, for older people to learn a new language, in a new country.

Compassion and sign language can go a very long way to understanding each other.

Brian R said:
Hey Thang,
It might be a little different when someone has lived here 5 or more years. Times can still be tough in the land of good and plenty but I've been in really nice houses where the tennants obviosly make some scratch and STILL no speeky the english.

I understand the guy who hasn't been here long or is on the street begging for money.

But I don't get the "highly educated" money makers and their families who are not enrolled in the local class

What do you mean by "highly educated" money maker? Because they live in a nice house and have fancy things make them "highly educated"? I can bet you that most of these people work their asses off for thier lifestyle. Most are just good business people.

Let me tell you guys a story about my own family....

My family use to own a sugar refining company back in Vietnam, We were pretty well off before the war. Unfortunately,After the fall of South Vietnam, My dad felt that for our safety, due to my uncles participation in the war and fearing that the commies were gonna come knocking....we needed to escape and leave evrything behind.

With bars of gold strapped onto my older brothers and sister, My family officially became "boat people". Fortunately, AFter 5 days out at sea....We were picked up by a French Cargo ship. They dropped us off in a refugee camp in Hong Kong.We stayed there for 2 years until we got tranferred to another refugee camp in the Philipines. Lived there for 9months before we got sponsored by one of my uncle, who lives in Mass.

Uhhh...Finally Arrived in the U.S.A!! Smooth sailing now, right? Hell No!!

To support the family, My parents both had to work 2 jobs each to feed everybody. After a few years of that, They saved up enough money to open a Pho Restuarant. My mother went back to school full time to persue a law degree, while my father took care of the resturant to feed us kids and to pay for her education.

Fast forward a few years....My mother graduated and started praticing law and my dad (at the time) managed 4 resturants in Mass and Montreal. My father never had time to take a ESL class during the 25 years, He was too busy providing a good life (which I, unfortuanely kind of took for granted) for his family. Matter of fact, If it wasnt for my mom tutoring him at home at night throughout the years...I believe that he would most likely not be able to have a converstaion in english.

Btw, This is just the short version.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Why should these people learn english when our our own president wants us to adapt to everyone elses culture?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
What pisses me off is the fact that certain foreigner groups create their own culture inside the american culture and can live here 15-20years and still unable to speak the language.

Even if they have a good business and are well off it would only take an effort to go take a class and learn the language!!!

It is possible for one to work 60-80 hours a week and still make it to the night time class at the local college!!! Ask me how I know...

I call the stupid foreigners- stupid foreigners!!! And the smart ones- good americans!

Come on Zalan, most ethnic groups "create their own culture", actually keep their own culture practically in every country in the world. It is human nature.

Yes, some foreigners like yourself, may be more educated, willing to put more time and energy into it or whatever. And frankly they are the ones who benefit most from it, as it provides them a better chance of success.

However, and for many reasons, some can not.
Lack of education, age, talent for language, too many demands on their time, never enough money to provide for their families..........who knows.

'Stupid foreigners' they are definitely not.
And speaking English, does not make you a "good American."

Burtz

it makes you a better American

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The Asian Sensation said:
[quote="Brian R":5bnnjrdn]Hey Thang,

But I don't get the "highly educated" money makers and their families who are not enrolled in the local class

What do you mean by "highly educated" money maker? Because they live in a nice house and have fancy things make them "highly educated"? I can bet you that most of these people work their asses off for thier lifestyle. Most are just good business people.

Let me tell you guys a story about my own family....

My family use to own a sugar refining company back in Vietnam, We were pretty well off before the war. Unfortunately,After the fall of South Vietnam, My dad felt that for our safety, due to my uncles participation in the war and fearing that the commies were gonna come knocking....we needed to escape and leave evrything behind.

With bars of gold strapped onto my older brothers and sister, My family officially became "boat people". Fortunately, AFter 5 days out at sea....We were picked up by a French Cargo ship. They dropped us off in a refugee camp in Hong Kong.We stayed there for 2 years until we got tranferred to another refugee camp in the Philipines. Lived there for 9months before we got sponsored by one of my uncle, who lives in Mass.

Uhhh...Finally Arrived in the U.S.A!! Smooth sailing now, right? Hell No!!

To support the family, My parents both had to work 2 jobs each to feed everybody. After a few years of that, They saved up enough money to open a Pho Restuarant. My mother went back to school full time to persue a law degree, while my father took care of the resturant to feed us kids and to pay for her education.

Fast forward a few years....My mother graduated and started praticing law and my dad (at the time) managed 4 resturants in Mass and Montreal. My father never had time to take a ESL class during the 25 years, He was too busy providing a good life (which I, unfortuanely kind of took for granted) for his family. Matter of fact, If it wasnt for my mom tutoring him at home at night throughout the years...I believe that he would most likely not be able to have a converstaion in english.

Btw, This is just the short version.[/quote:5bnnjrdn]

And yet you type pretty good English. Congrats.

I have a great deal of respect for you and your family for making it through all that.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ofer Kolton said:
'Stupid foreigners' they are definitely not.

I did not imply that. What I was saying: There are stupid foreigners (speak english or not) and there are smart foreigners (speak english or not) who take advantage of achieving more by learning the language and assimilating into America more. (better jobs more friends more opportunities)

So speaking English definitely not make you a good American- heck, there are born Americans that speak worse English than some of the foreigners here on mikeysboard!
But speaking English makes you a better American and a smarter one at that.

Many times I believe the different nationality group leaders are actually keeping their own people from advancing. It absolutely benefits them- the leaders- many times politically and financially to keep them as a lower class group.
This is true to the black Americans and their so called "leaders" the two "reverends" too... :roll:
Its a shame they even call themselves reverends with what they do and how they do. They operate more like shakedown artists and mobsters. The way they live and act is absolutely disgusting. (illegitimate kids, making jokes publicly about sins -they supposed to preach against- just to make a crowd laugh..etc...etc..)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zalan,
Are you originally from Hungary?
I am trying to decide Hungary or Czechoslovakia.
Or am I off?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Well none of the above are actually Hungarian music. Polka is a Slavic type music _which we aren't. Same with gypsy music. Gypsy is not Hungarian. Any of you gypsies here? They are a group that is spread in pretty much any of the central and eastern European countries and many many other parts of the world. If anything they are closest to the Indian/Pakistan nationals.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You are right.
But Kilyi Jag is a Hungarian Gypsy group.
And they are awesome.

So we let them Hungarians get the credit.
Even if they don't want to claim it.

Burtz

other than Za ZA and Eva Gabor any other famous Hungarians

f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttf4cUUXybkf]

Walt

My Grandfather immigrated from Italy when he was 19. He didn't speak a word of English when he got here. However, he quickly found himself in the US Army, where he served as a tank driver on WWII.

Prior to moving to the United States, he came from a well to do middle class family where excelled in mathematics, gymnastics and competitive cycling. He was well on his way to becoming a mathematician and living a comfortable life. Unfortunately for him, the unrest and uncertainty in the world led to his family immigrating.

After WWII, his opportunities evaporated as he still struggled to learn the language. Though he eventually learned to speak fluent english, he never spoke "natively" and struggled to express himself. Because of that some people looked down on him. Certainly it hindered his ability to succeed to one degree or another. He never was able to complete his studies as a mathematician and ended up taking up the trade of cabinet making. During a recession he lost his job and ended up working on an assembly line at McDonnell Douglas aircraft. He eventually worked his way up, without a degree, into the engineering department where he worked on designing cockpits for airplanes. This included the F4 Phantom. Which according to my dad, a Marine Corps pilot, was a sweet plane to fly.

I have no real point in this story other than to express the difficulties even an intelligent person can have in learning a new language. It certainly held him back in life, but it didn't mean that he was unable to contribute to the community that he came to love.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i got THREE familys of them rat eatin' basturds in my old house......yesterday one of the old women had a big pan of wash water and jus THREW it over the fence into MY YARD..... :twisted:
so i gives her the "evil look" and waved my finger like Babu at her.....

x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN29X2HCKpUx]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom