Keeping the van/tm warm in -22 weather...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, were the dumb shats that moved home from AZ and bought a house with no garage...:hopeless: Really tried to find a garage to rent this year, just didn't work out.

Sooooo, thought I'd share how I/we keep the tm warm with no garage. Maybe this will keep "Jeepers(lol)" from getting bugged all winter like last... It's getting cold next week, tuesday HIGH of 5! Omg....

Anyways, here ya go... Biggest thing to keep in mind - your not trying to heat the whole van... Just the tm...

How to "tent" the tm.
Your trying to make a cave/tent of heat. First blanket - over top and drivers side of tm covered.
P1060067.JPG

Second blanket - Over front of unit and driver side, leave the cave "open" and extra blanket at bottom. Van doors are the coldest place in the whole van.

P1060068.JPG

Take your door guard or blankets, towels, whatever and stuff it at the bottom of doors(coldest area!). Before this step, throw you two extension cords(for heaters) in the van. After the side is sealed up with door guard and blankets it will be tuff to get cords in.

Just doing this above, you generally be good with one heater on low down to... Heck, 20 degrees at least... Put your remote t- stat on top, good to go.
P1060072.JPG

You want your "tent" to look like this. Two heaters at bottom of photo, both plugged in ready to go. Exit through back of van!
P1060073.JPG

The heater on the left(150$) is digital. Push a button to whatever temp you like and the unit will keep it there or try to at least. Second heater(right) no t-stat, it stays on. Front of machine will freeze first! Plug one heater in at front of house - one heater in back of house. Different circuits.
P1060077.JPG

Extreme cold.... Extra stepsssssss!
Take another blanket and drape it over tm and somehow attach to van wall or shelf. This again is going to help guard the door area. Stuff that shat in to the step in area.
P1060074.JPG

Another photo of door area...

P1060078.JPG

Back view of van, bottom of doors coldest area, stuff some blanket or towels down there.

P1060080.JPG

My stupid van has a bunch of little holes like this all letting in cold air. That's what the blankets might help with.
P1060079.JPG

Last step.... Uggggggg.... Take a blanket and try to cover as much of the back as you can!

P1060081.JPG

The silver stuff on the roof is bubble foil wrap(whatever it's called), it's over every wall, floor also has the foil, wood and carpet. The walls have foam insulation(pink stuff) loosely attached to sides. I'm sure it helps, at minus 22 last winter I need all the help I can get!

Obviously this is not ideal, but it can be done. It's better than putting anti freeze in it every night! Or using a po##ty.

And YES! Your electricity bill will/is going to cost "quite a bit" more... Especially come Feb. when temps are -5, 24 hours a day and the heater are running.................... For days....

Good luck. Minus four(-4) for the high Wednesday(-14 night). :hopeless:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Coop, I'm wondering if an insulated windproof/water proof blanket for the WHOLE VAN (like an RV cover) wouldn't be easier/less hassle and warmer??

..L.T.A.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Jerry knows...

The struggle is real.

I spent 3 years in Bozeman, MT without a garage. Real temps down to -30 below. I remember praying that someone wouldn't unplug my power cord for the heater.

I'll be thinking about you guys Jerry, let us know how it works out.

Great pics and tips btw. You're right about the doors being the coldest spot. When it gets that cold, best to just plug those areas up.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
A couple candles, safely placed, can help keep the electric bill in check too.

J

JS41035

I have the plastic wall panel kit. Along with a full headliner. Not fabric. Very industrial.
I pulled out all the wall panels and put liner on the walls and floor. Then r11 on the walls. Filled all the colums with spray foam. Snapped the wall panels and headliners back in. Fill the doors with insulation as well. Kinda overkill here. But didn't wanna worry.

Reactions: Russ T. and jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Back view of van, bottom of doors coldest area, stuff some blanket or towels down there.

Ohhhhh, one other thing. The water hose on the reel, if yours is like this unroll it about 7-8' and throw/lay the end up front. The hose end WILL freeze if left in the back.

A couple candles, safely placed, can help keep the electric bill in check too.

Jeez louise, Russ.......... Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. But please, no more candles! If power went out(knock on wood) I'd let the van run all night before I'm putting a fire in there!

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
Steve Lawrence
Why not just winterize the unit between work days? In that climate you're probably slow in the winter and don't need your van for days at a time. Winterizing can be pretty easy if you have a good system and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Take your wands, etc indoors. Voila. Save money and worry.

Mike Draper

When it gets down to -10 to -20 which it does here from time to time, its very hard to keep anything from freezing. My truck is insulated to the hills, but at those temps I still monitor my truck temps throughout the night. Whenever it drops below 0 deg. I will put an extra heater in there. I like to keep it 40 deg on the floor in my truck. I use a small snail fan to circulate the air in my truck as well.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Last year it got down to -32 one night and my barn got down to 40:eekk: that was a close call!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
And here i shat bricks when the temp goes down to 21 or so.

We just stopped messing with it. We have two gallons of regular antifreeze. Drain down the water box. Pour in both gallons of anti freeze and cycle for five minute with an open ended hose from front of machine back into water box.

Pull quick disconnects and blow out hoses with compressor, pull tools out of van or trucks and done. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes in the mourning to get everything back in and get unit primed and ready, antifreeze back into their respective containers and the system purged of any remaining antifreeze. All this happens while the van and tm are warming up for the day and operational check of all components before leaving the house.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have thought about using an electric blanket with a moving blanket over the tm. We only get down to 20s here so it might work.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
capilary tube will not draw antifreeze and the water pressure gauge will break everytime!

i vowed NOT to hep yous nincompoops out after my lost contest....but DAAAAYUM some of ya's need it!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Able 1

Name
Keith
I tent one of mine also(in a garage though), but I use a real thick sleeping bag and cover the whole thing except for just enough for my heater to blow under it. I should put something in the door well..

My other van sit in a heated garage, and I never have to worry about it.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have thought about using an electric blanket with a moving blanket over the tm. We only get down to 20s here so it might work.
It works, I have one in the truck, however....
Any fancy heater with digital controls will fail you if the power blinks off for even a second, and it won't turn back on when the power resumes.

Better to have an "old fashioned" cheap ceramic heater. All 1500 watt heater put out exactly the same heat, don't fall for hype.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Lee Stockwell
capilary tube will not draw antifreeze and the water pressure gauge will break everytime!

i vowed NOT to hep yous nincompoops out after my lost contest....but DAAAAYUM some of ya's need it!
I think we've addressed this before Bob:
Put a loop in the capillary line to the gauge, filled with antifreeze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom