KNOCK KNOCK ....spudder......ppffffdddddddddwwwwKLANK

Jamesh921

Name
James
My Kohler 25 hp engine does this everytime I shut it down. I HATE IT. It sounds like crap. I attribute it to the fact that we ran ethanol thru it BEFORE the gas stations were forced to label the pumps "100% gas" or "up to 10% Ethanol".

Regardless of the cause, does anyone know how to make it stop without rebuilding it??

It sucks to do a GREAT job for Mrs. Phiff only to have her hear my machine klank and knock when I shut it down.

A fix would sure be appreciated.

James

Bob Foster

My Cessna Citation makes that sound when I spool it down after a trans continental trip... somewhat amus

Jamesh921

Name
James
Wow, I saw that too. Somebody hi-jacked my thread and now it's gone. The Board Admin must be workin' overtime tonight. 8)

Is it dieseling?

I'm not sure I understand what your asking. But, it knocks and sputters and tries to keep running after I shut the engine off. If that's dieseling - it's doin' it.

gasaxe

some industrial engines have solenoid on the carb. that has a needle type valve to shut off fuel flow when the ignition shuts off if yours has this it could be not seating good. It is a round deal with a wire on the end. when the key is turned on it supplies 12v to open/unseat the needle should be on the carb somewhere.

Amazing

Low Idle with some load should shut it down quicker.

Kinda like a manual shift car that does that.. Foot on brake, in gear let clutch out.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Low Idle with some load should shut it down quicker.

Kinda like a manual shift car that does that.. Foot on brake, in gear let clutch out.

Yea, I thought the same thing. BUT, it seems to knock worse when I try that.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Lemmie guess
you're shutting it down somewhere between 1200 and 1500 rpm

shut it down between 1800 and 2000 rpm and your run on problem will go away....forever

trust me

..L.T.A.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Jamesh921 said:
Allright Larry shiteatinggrin , I'll give that a try as well. Thanks.

After letting it cool a minute or two.
Just take a screwdriver or something you can hold the throttle lever on the side of the carb CLOSED with then turn the key off.
That will lower the rpm's a bit and prevent it from pulling fuel in after the key is off and there will not be any knocking or after run.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
KevinD said:
Jamesh921 said:

Just take a screwdriver or something you can hold the throttle lever on the side of the carb CLOSED with then turn the key off.

On the old cast iron Kohlers there was linkage arm easy to get to.
Not so with the Command Pro engines on a Powermatic/Legacy

I don't know why shutting down at a higher idle stops the run on...but it does

..L.T.A.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
meAt said:
KevinD said:
Jamesh921 said:

On the old cast iron Kohlers there was linkage arm easy to get to.
Not so with the Command Pro engines on a Powermatic/Legacy

I don't know why shutting down at a higher idle stops the run on...but it does

..L.T.A.

My command pros are easy to access right on the left side of the carb.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Dang that Larry is smart.

Lemmie guess
you're shutting it down somewhere between 1200 and 1500 rpm

shut it down between 1800 and 2000 rpm and your run on problem will go away....forever

trust me

Worked perfect. No run-on. Shut down without a klank, klonk or patoouwweeee. Today Larry, you get to be my hero. 8)

Only got to use the Powermatic once today. I'll try using the choke to shut it down next week. Was in a rush and didn't have time to start and kill multiple times.

Anyway, great advice guys. Thanks!!!

James

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamesh921 said:
Only got to use the Powermatic once today.. Was in a rush and didn't have time to start and kill multiple times.

it will be the same whether you do 1 or 15 jobs a day.

Just idle down to 1800 and shut it off and you're done.
Start it back up at the same RPM...no need to change it

as mentioned by others, you should still let it idle (at 1800) for a minute or so before shut down

..L.T.A.

My Legend did the same thing. Prochem told me to shut the machine off at full rpms. Cool the machine down, pull the throttle out, and turn the key off. It will not do that anymore.

Bob Foster

Shutting a machine off at full rpms is not good for it. Especially small air cooled engines. Run the engine at idle with no load (vacuum hose disconnected) while your reel up your hoses and then shut it down.

Allowing a little bit of internal cool down time by running it for a short period of time at idle allows the exhaust valves time to cool.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
gasaxe said:
some industrial engines have solenoid on the carb. that has a needle type valve to shut off fuel flow when the ignition shuts off if yours has this it could be not seating good. It is a round deal with a wire on the end. when the key is turned on it supplies 12v to open/unseat the needle should be on the carb somewhere.

i concur.. i have talked to a small engine mechanic about this also. because my fathers lawn mower does the same thing...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom