Kool glide and spot welding

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Here is a carpet small pattern. The smaller the pattern the more to line up. This makes it harder for us to do. You will see the runoff. What I did was start in the middle of seam. Stretched both ways to achieve pattern .
P1020237.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
What I did was kicked it up to achieve match. As you could see the rest of the seam is not done. This is how we spot weld it could be anywhere I was lucky enough the pattern was pretty good after I kicked it.
P1020238.jpg

Stevea

Harry,

Very nice outline of manipulation for adjusting a seam and pattern. Great to have you share such quality workmanship.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Thank You Guys. John when you do get your seamer down now. Make sure you clean the filter fins under the bottom .Especially doing wool you'll get alot of it. I use my hawk bill to get it out , comes right out with it.

S

Smart Choice Glenn

Great work Harry!!

If I may ask what is a SDN actually used for? I have heard the name but don't know what it's for.

Glenn

Stevea

Pretty Good Shorty,

It also keeps the seam flat and will pull adhesive into the backing causing a better bonding.

It will also help if you have a wet seam to put together, such as opening a carpet after a water damage job. Sometimes one needs to open the carpet and there is no seam, so you cut the face and open the carpet. Maybe you want to spot weld the carpet to keep it together until you are ready to put in new pad or whatever is needed. With the Kool Glide and SDN you can make a seam with the damp carpet.

The SDN is also good to use for some spotting work. If you have a 'spot' of some sort and you use your spotter and you are concerned with wicking or just want to pull up as much as possible, you can put a towel over the spot and put the SDN over the spot and let it pull the last little residue into the towel by just leaving the SDN on the area while you do something else, (this is to replace the times when you would put a towel over a wicking spot and weight it down). You can also use it to dry out a small area spot by just putting it over the spot and allowing it to dry it out. I have used it this way on several urine spots on sisal, kept it laying flat and dried it out.

It is rather unique in you can put it onto a very wet carpet and it will vacuum the water but not hurt the unit since the vacuums are protected from getting wet.

Pretty neat tool. Yes I know we have water claws and I do also and use them as the principle tool for such work but at times it is nice to had the SDN if I do not have other tools with me and a spot needs to be cared for and I want to have the wicking pulled up into a towel. Just sharing another interesting use for the tool.

Primarily, it is used to cool a seam, keep it flat and pull the adhesive into the backing of the carpet. Great little tool to have and use.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I do have another would you like to see. this one is a little more involve. Let me say something to you Gentlemen. If I had not recieved a 90 % crap this past week I dont know what to say. As a matter of fact it has all been tufted goods. Im tired of working harder. Why cant the mills make quality instead of quantity.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Here is another run off. Spot welding needed. I am showing the kool glide sticks along with the orcon Peak Buster . Sometimes like on friezes or some pile carpet s, I like this tip better. You seal both edges it is neater.
P1020256_640x480.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
The other side of the run off.
P1020262_640x480.jpg
If you notice I made some line to match my product . If the lines are off so is my workmanship.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Top shelf as usual Harry.

Shame you can't get along to Steve's course that I will be attending along with Harry next month.

I can see so much opportunity for carpet cleaners in this work, those that are prepared to do it properly that is :wink:

Great photos make it a lot easier to understand the full process.

Thanks,

Ooroo :roll:

Cousin

Steve, an sdn will prevent seam peaking during installation? with say conventional installation using heat bond tape.

M

Stevea

M,

Yes it will and it works very well in doing so, especially if you seal the edges with hot melt from a glue gun. It helps to prevent the hinge effect that can occur with a seam.

An installer designed it so that one can turn up the heat of the conventional iron to 400 degrees, the SDN will not only cool the carpet and adhesive but also pulls the adhesive further into the backing and makes it all lay flat. This makes it hold much better than using a roller and a weight, in fact one does not even need to use a roller. It does work very well with a conventional seam iron, it was designed for this.

It is a very nice tool to have with the Kool Glide but almost a mandatory tool to have with a conventional seaming system, (this is only my opinion but I have used them with both and it is mandatory in my use).

In fact, since some have asked about this, if there is enough interest, I may be able to get the inventor of this to make some type of special for those in the Tool Room? Is there interest in this?

Hope this helps.

SA

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Steve,
you mentioned using the SDN for spots. Would using a towel and a water claw work the same? I have a few spots on some berber that keep coming back and after reading this post was wondering if this would help.

Stevea

Charles,

In no way am I saying it will take the place of a water claw, I have and use two of them.

What I have found with the SDN, since some spots will wick back up, often just by using a towel and weight and leaving it on the spot for 24 hours will often allow the material to wick up into the towel and not be a problem. I have now used the SND a few times with a towel and the vacuum it has and just let it pull the spot up into the towel and help dry it as well as help force the wicking. I have done this even on sisal with some urine stains, worked very well.

Just a suggestion and an observation of something I have tried and it seemed to work well.

Hope this helps explain.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom