Kool glide and spot welding

Cousin

Thanks, Steve.
Seam peaking is one of the major consumer complaints here, in the form of "two different colours of carpet". This tool has my interest.

SA said:
In fact, since some have asked about this, if there is enough interest, I may be able to get the inventor of this to make some type of special for those in the Tool Room? Is there interest in this?

Definitely, but 240v?

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Steve, as indicated in my PM some time back, I'm also a definite starter for on too.

M, I emailed the inventor direct and he said only in 110... problem then is that you need either a second transformer as they'll both be running together or a bigger unit taht can run them both.

John

Cousin

I'm gunna have to ditch the van and get a two tonne pantec soon, John.

If sdn's can be proven to stop seam peaking, there is a big market here.

Come on, 240v!!

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Cousin said:
If sdn's can be proven to stop seam peaking, there is a big market here.

Come on, 240v!!

M

That's the very reason why I PM'ed Steve some time back about getting one. I'd say over half of my general public enquiries' is about installation concerns and then the vast majority of them would be seam peaking/lines/shadows etc.

What I need to decide is if I want the job of uplifting old tape seams, trimming/cleaning them up and redoing them all with KG tape and the SDN... Taking seams apart is not exactly what I call fun and I like my work for the most part becasue it IS FUN :wink:

Then again, if I can make good money doing it, maybe that will make it fun...

John

Stevea

To answer most of the replies, John, M and all others, seam peaking can be corrected without the SDN but it does make it much easier. It would be similar to saying you do not need a Kool Glide to make a good seam but it makes it much easier.

Taking apart seams and correcting them is a fairly simple process and very profitable. Understanding what is called 'stress realignment' as to the cause of seam peaking, correct that and the seam will tend to not hinge and not peak. Harry has shared some fantastic work on how to align a seam pattern properly as well as welding a seam.

I would strongly suggest learning this and then market for seam repair, it is one of my personal favorites because it is the number one complaint in carpet installation.

Here is an example of a radical seam put together, that no one would try to do but I show this in my class to show how much a seam can be off and still be put together pretty well.

Here is a large section cut out of a seam area at a very bad angle (no one would try to put this together but is is used for showing how extreme something can be put together; the section taken out is about 3" or so)
berberseam1.jpg

Here is the actual two pieces to put together with the end touching showing how off this seam repair would be
berberseam4.jpg

Here is the seam put together with matching the large gap so that it fits
berberseam7.jpg

The whole exercise it to show how to put together a seam that is very bad. If one understands this, they can easily put together a good seam. Take for example the seam in most doorways, they are often in terrible shape. Most do not want to touch these but they are actually vary simple to take apart and when put back together they do not have to be perfect to look perfect.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom