Larry Cobb.

Scott Rogers

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BQhfcdQf1QA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

Although the proper method is to loosen up 4 bolts . . .

our customers just roll them off, and roll on the new Gates #3VX belts (about 10-15 minutes)

Belt tension is preset at our plant with Gates belt tension tool.

Only problem I have seen, is with poor quality import belts being incorrect length.

Larry

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
4 bolts on the blower or motor?
You'll hand to show me that trick in two weeks cause I'm real tired of undoing my C4 blower bolts.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Larry has trouble mixing a 55 gallon drum of pre-spray. You want him to build a TM? Talk about a Risky business move. Hard to believe all these years of TM building and no one has mastered it. This industry is so fooked. Majority of all distributors can not stand carpet cleaners. But they are responsible for this fooked up mess they created.

Golden Boy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You'll hand to show me that trick in two weeks cause I'm real tired of undoing my C4 blower bolts.
Something has to be wrong with that setup, you shouldn't need to change them that often. I've watched my distributor before an he spends a good bit of time getting them aligned, level and tight.

Are the other guys that own C-4's having trouble with belts too?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
all machines should be built with a tensioner pulley to use for replacement and adjustment....

it is just totally stupid to have to move the blower or what ever just to change a belt......machines depend on proper alignment and adjustment........when you have to start moving things that should stay stationary...........your just setting yourself up for problems............

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
it's fugly what with that big lawnmower engine sitting up there on top. :headbang:

I hope they didn't pay some engineer to design that. "Humm lets see, throw a big fookin motor on top...yea that will do it". :p

Even my lawnmower is prettier than your fugly TM and it has a 21-hp briggs just to cut grass!

621d1a19-3ac1-4c52-8a82-2e1b22fa9804_zps6aa770f2.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A few years is what we used to get out of them back in the day we ran Hydramasters.
I hate direct couplers, age, heat and a good stress chews them up.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I hardly ever change belts on my 405 4 to 5 years. I think someone got it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Jim is right on with the tension arm statement.

how long do direct couplers last?

Brand new unit with the coupler...not a single problem for the first 1000 hours. (Didn't have the unit after that.)

Another brand new unit with the coupler lasted, i would say about 5 minutes on the first job. And the coupler exploded into 2 million pieces all over the van. Got it replaced and lined up well. 2000 hours since then and not a problem. I don't think couplers are bad for driving a blower- if they are lined up perfectly- they will last years.

hogjowl

Idiot™
it's fugly what with that big lawnmower engine sitting up there on top. :headbang:

I hope they didn't pay some engineer to design that. "Humm lets see, throw a big fookin motor on top...yea that will do it". :p

Even my lawnmower is prettier than your fugly TM and it has a 21-hp briggs just to cut grass!

621d1a19-3ac1-4c52-8a82-2e1b22fa9804_zps6aa770f2.jpg

It's hard to have a pretty TM without all the unnecessary bells and whistles that make it complicated. So, I will admit that my TM is ugly, but compared to Cobb's, Nicks and Less' TM's, it a freakin beauty queen!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Able 1

Name
Keith
It's hard to have a pretty TM without all the unnecessary bells and whistles that make it complicated. So, I will admit that my TM is ugly, but compared to Cobb's, Nicks and Less' TM's, it a freakin beauty queen!

Bet you my Perty Prochem Peak has had less problems then your buttherfaced TCS. Oh yeah, I have 4,200 hours on it also.. How many on yours?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I didn't buy a Judson for it's looks. How pretty can you make an engine, a blower and a pump?? :icon_rolleyes:

My Big Red, you can forget about unbolting the blower, no slide to it at all. Had to get the belts on and off with a screw driver. THEN I bought one of John's HX'rs tension pulleys. Sure made it easy! It just bolted right onto the blower.
I had just installed some 10in sheaves to give it more belt contact.
08-02-01new10insheaves.jpg

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
so the question remains, why were coupler units poo poo'd on the Boards a few years back?

I'm only guessing...maybe because you couldn't speed up the blower. It would only turn as fast as the engine..

I could be wrong but I remember some people liked their small blowers driven faster than engine rpms.

Perhaps those same smallish blowers are good enough now with more open plumbing that allows higher airflow with bigger wands etc.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
^^ primary reason...along with the varying longevity of couplers

off/on topic...Crazy Ray or Larry, can't remember, stated in the other thread that belt tension was set before sending units out.......so it would seem that belt tension and SIDE LOAD are "designed" in?

Has ANYBODY ever read a manual that did not suggest checking belt tension at specific intervals? X hours after a belt change? Obviously the tendency would be to need tightening (belt stretch). Is the lack of adjust-ability, other than using longer belts, compensated for by setting a higher tension (increased SIDE LOAD) on the units?

Is there a method prescribed by Cobb other than hoping your "master mechanic" figures it out there is an issue before you toast a bearing/crank?

While it may seem an isolated problem....issues on the forums seem to be like those old raid commercials....if you see one........

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I'd like to see a video or instruction diagram on how to properly set the tension and align the pulleys on a machine like this.

The way my c4 is laid out, thereto ain't no way you're going to roll the blower belts off with a screwdriver. Pump could be done though.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim is right on with the tension arm statement.

Gates does NOT recommend idler systems for their V-belt drives.

It decreases the power capacity of the belt system about 10%.

If an idler is used, it has to be larger than the one pictured above (post #22).

Also, as a side note . . .

the TM blower had the same side load, and a smaller bearing diameter.

Larry

P.S. Sutorbilt only uses belt drives in their packaged blower systems.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom