Last step chem pump?

TimP

So I was cleaning today and I changed over to cleaning tile after finishing up the carpet. I turned my last step chem pump on my CDS off and bumped the pressure up to about 900 psi. I cleaned as usual but when I came out I noticed that my truck was dripping on one side of my van and made a decent sized puddle. I also noticed that my solution tank was empty which was about 3/4 full when I turned the pump off. So I finished the job and went home worried I had a leak of some sort. When I got home I pulled the cover off my machine between the seats and turned the machine on looking for the leak. I found the bottom of the chem pump dripping. I have between 1200 & 1300 hours on my machine.

I am guessing I need a new chem pump, but I am not sure if I'm going to have to need to do any work on the cat pump in addition. Based on what I'm supposed to do from you experts I'll order what I need tomorrow to fix it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the chem pumps are only good for about 700 psi....with the CDS you are not really turning off the pump you are just turning off the flow ...so when you switched over to do the tile it finally let loose.......these pumps need to be more isolated with a shut off valve before the pump to kill the pressure.........on the CDS it is tight fit and may be hard to do.....you can rebuild these pumps pretty easy and much cheaper then replacing them....the hours finally got to it..........

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Tim,

Do you have an inline Ball Shut-off...to the chem pump...?

Or do you just shut it down at the console panel...?

R

R W

bob vawter said:
why not jus set up a syphon pull thru a Dwyers meter???

I got the siphon draw on the genesis, but it only draws when the 2 gallon water tank is filling. So it is totally dependent on the water pressure from the house. If the APO is pumping (it draws water for prime), and the water softener is recharging, there is little pressure left in some homes to create a draw from the solution tank. I'd like to install a small pressurized pump and fresh water tank (maybe 30 gallons) to keep my inlet pressure consistant.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Tim,

Here is a simple...cheap way to protect your chemical pump...
while tile cleaning at high pressure..

You only need a 1/4 inch ball valve "shut off"...and a 1/4 inch brass extension pipe..
This will allow you to cut off the flow to the chem pump,and save the diaphram & check valves.

HARPERPIC001.jpg

HARPERPIC093-1.jpg

HARPERPIC090-1.jpg

I am assuming you have the same chem pump... :idea:

TimP

I wouldn't mind setting up a draw system although I worry about the heat exchangers and chem pump.

But the chem pump has lasted a good while and if it's not cheap I don't mind replacing/fixing it to make sure my exchangers are kept away from the chems. Plus it may be easier, but I wouldn't know.

And I turn it off on the console where you prime and turn it on.

TimP

HARPER said:
Tim,

Here is a simple...cheap way to protect your chemical pump...
while tile cleaning at high pressure..

You only need a 1/4 inch ball valve "shut off"...and a 1/4 inch brass extension pipe..
This will allow you to cut off the flow to the chem pump,and save the diaphram & check valves.

HARPERPIC001.jpg

HARPERPIC093-1.jpg

HARPERPIC090-1.jpg

I am assuming you have the same chem pump... :idea:

It's different, plus my cat pump is between the seats under a shroud and not easy to get to like the butler. Plus I think the lines are 1/8th inch, definitely smaller than solution line.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
I got the same pump on my Boxxer, Just buy the rebuild kit. It has all the seals and the two check valves It's pretty simple to do. Just dont get the check valves facing the wrong way, I did that once :mrgreen:

topnotchman

So could this be an advantage using a first step chemical pump injection, just less stuff to go wrong? Haven't had a problem yet, mine's an older CDS before the last step came out.

TimP

Ok I replaced the diaphragm and that wasn't the problem. I didn't see a problem with the one in it but I changed it anyway. I tightened everything back up and tried it out. I filled the solution tank with water and it gushed water everywhere from the top right of the chem pump. There is a small rubber ring that connects one of the two lines that feed solution or whatever they do. I think it has been pushed out and has sprung a leak I'm going to try and pull that off if I can and see if I can get it to seat properly for now.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
If you add a ball valve to shut off the pump for T & G cleaning spend the extra few bucks and get one you can rebuild and screw it on so the snap ring is easy to reach.

TimP

The biggest question is. Is this something I can get locally??????

TimP

FCC said:
looks like its just a hex reducer ....shouldn't be hard to find

I've checked the local hardware and local small engine place and nothing. The thread is finer than standard plumbing.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I got mine at the local Ace hardware of if you have a naughtons plumbing............they specialize more in the hard to find ..fine threaded items...........

TimP

I tried Ace. Remember I live in the woods so finding crap is next to impossible and I don't want to drive 2 hours total when I can just have it shipped to me.

Here is a better picture for the Macro A-hole.

IMG_4186.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
post me a picture of the pump itself so I can see exactly which one you have....If it is the same one as a few old ones I have laying around I will pull the fitting and send it to you.......I also noticed in the picture there is no O-ring on the fitting.....did you take it off and forget to put it back on when you put it all together..............

TimP

I took the o-ring off for the picture. I was going to try to reseat it then replace the ring but I found that the fitting was cracked. I've got the fitting on order and I should have it tomorrow. It would be too much trouble and costly for you to send me one. I appreciate the help Jim. Anyways I should have the machine ready for next week.

I have to go and touch up a job now. I put it back together but not tight so that I don't break the fitting off in the pump. It drips but there isn't much I can do about it right now. I shouldn't have to run it much at all for now. I don't have any work tomorrow so luckily it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom