Last Straw - Presenting at a Real Estate office

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
Well, my business is suffering to the point of collapse. With no funds left for advertising, I'm not even getting 1 call per week. I don't know why the web site is getting so many hits and no calls. My latest foreclosure statement has forced me to move way out of my comfort zone and market new arenas.

So... I managed to get into a Real Estate office yesterday thru a Realtor friend of mine. I was told I'd have 35-50 realtors there for their Thursday lunch meeting, and I'd have 5 minutes to throw my pitch. I decided to concentrate on explaining the deodorization benefits of my Thermo-Gen 2000 Fogger.
(I managed to get a Fogging job a few weeks back in a commercial office, 5,383 cubic feet. I bid at 9.5 cents per cubic foot and got it. I did not have a fogger or the money to buy one so I contacted a friend in the Carpet Cleaning business with a Jon-Don credit account, and he was awesome enough to let me charge it on his account. Cost was a little over $400 and the job paid $511, only took an hour and worked to perfection on the cigarette smoke odor.)

Any way... My 5 minutes turned into an hour. I was suprised to learn that no service business has ever given a presentation to the office. They were more than impressed with the materials and presentation that I put together. They also mentioned how nice it was to be able to put a face to a name on a business card. Also not one of them had a regular cleaner and all said that they would be happy to recommend me.

I offered a free fogging for their worst smelling home on the market, and left that to the business manager. I also passed around a bucket and had each realtor place their card inside for a chance at a free 2 room carpet cleaning. What a great way that was to have each Realtors contact info including Emails.

I'm now putting similiar packages together and pursuing other large Real Estate offices. I'm not much for speaking in front of a group but it is pretty easy when you are confident in your service and familiar with your product.

This is my last shot at success, if things don't turn around in 6 months I'm selling my dream and getting a real job.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it may help anyone struggling like me.
Jerry

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Good luck Jerry.

Nothing like being in front of people to get them sold.
Face to face and referral marketing are still number one for local small business'.

Now where are all those other Real Estate offices.

Ron K

Jerry, hang in there you are probably your best advertising. Your web site looks good when you have no money just go out and knock on doors and hand out your cards. Print up a special offer coupon whatever be creative it sounds like you are. Offer free cleanings at churches or non profits just as long as you can get your name in the weekly publication they give parishiners. Talk Talk Talk at the gas station the post office whatever have your elevator speech ready to go. Park your Van at a well traveled intersection.
Good luck

dgargan

Your going about it the right way. Keep hitting the Realtors. Also do the sane thing with carpet Retail stores. You can also join some referral groups like BNI to get your name out there.

-JB-

Name
JB
It's tough out there right now, no doubt.

Anyone that says otherwise is full of it.

Just keep to it, sounds like you may have hit one outta the park there, keep it up, it, WILL get better!

G

Get your some t shirts made for your uniform made up with all your contact information on it.

John Alzubi

At some point I was in your situation, the only difference is I had another business that was making money. What I did I joined BNI and that was the best business decision I have ever made. I get at least 10 jobs a month from BNI and some of them turned to monthly contracts. I think BNI is a must for every small business owner.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
John Alzubi said:
At some point I was in your situation, the only difference is I had another business that was making money. What I did I joined BNI and that was the best business decision I have ever made. I get at least 10 jobs a month from BNI and some of them turned to monthly contracts. I think BNI is a must for every small business owner.

Some kind of networking group is def the way to go for local business. You just can't lose being in front of 20 or more people every week telling them about your business.

What comes around goes around as well.
You have to give back for it to work and some just don't understand that concept.

This week I got
A roofing job for the roofer in the group
2 painting jobs for the painter
an install for the landscaper
an air conditioning job for the mechanic

It just feels good to help other people with their business'. I get a kick out of someone saying
"Damn, another referral? Thank you so much."

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Some kind of networking group is def the way to go for local business. You just can't lose being in front of 20 or more people every week telling them about your business.
yes you can if they don't live in your service area and are just insurance, mortgage, longterm care, different type of insurance, Investment, builder out of area and a sign guy be sure to check out the refereral group and find out where they live, work etc etc

For all the realtors in my area I did this and it went over gang busters. I am sure I will be told I need a marketing person or that it is all wrong but it produces $ so I am happy

seasidehomespricesheet.jpg

Greg, you should change the domain name of your website to www.25dollarseachadditionalroom.com or actually charge 25 dollars a room.

Your ad says 5 rooms for 140. If my math is correct, shouldn't it be 125. Maybe I am wrong, but if I see tires for sale for a hundred dollars a tire and get to the place to buy them and they tell me it is for the fourth tire and the first three are actually 150 each, I would feel a little ripped off. Your pricing is completely fine. Just change the name of your site to something that more resembles your business or actual pricing structure.

www.crowleysextreme.com etc.

www.around25dollarsaroom.com

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
visit the website and you will see the pricing layed out for you.

I do charge $25 a room after the first room which is $45.00 and that is up to 200 sq

This isn't a debate about my business. This is me providing a guy with a material I send out to realtors and I put their logo on it, laminate it and 3 hole punch it for their folder. I do it for a number of realtors and it works great.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Matt Murdock said:
This isn't a debate about my business. This is me providing a guy with a material I send out to realtors and I put their logo on it, laminate it and 3 hole punch it for their folder. I do it for a number of realtors and it works great.

Have you had anyone give you a hard time because you used their logo or do you have to ask for permission?

Good idea.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
not one person has said anything. That is something to think about

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Matt Murdock said:
not one person has said anything. That is something to think about

They probably don't mind because of the exposure AND if they think you are a good cleaner (image). If the card looks good, they are happy.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
That sounds like a good presentation. Here's my 2 cents....

DO go to BNI meetings, but don't even THINK about joining. Visit every single BNI group the 2 times you are allowed to, then pick the best one for you. We have 7 groups here in an area of about 150,000. You will get jobs referred to you without actually joining. Don't tell anybody how bad your biz is doing right now, they want to help someone who can help them. After going to all the meetings you can, then pick the one who did you the most good.

Don't buy anymore equipment. That $500 you spent could have been used for marketing, ozone machines and atomizers can be found at rental stores. I used to buy a piece of equipment thinking it would get me work - actually, marketing gets the work.

Good luck,

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
rhino1 said:

DO go to BNI meetings, but don't even THINK about joining. Visit every single BNI group the 2 times you are allowed to, then pick the best one for you. We have 7 groups here in an area of about 150,000. You will get jobs referred to you without actually joining. Don't tell anybody how bad your biz is doing right now, they want to help someone who can help them. After going to all the meetings you can, then pick the one who did you the most good.

Don't buy anymore equipment. That $500 you spent could have been used for marketing, ozone machines and atomizers can be found at rental stores. I used to buy a piece of equipment thinking it would get me work - actually, marketing gets the work.

Good luck,

If you find a good BNI or Letip group you should join and visit all the other ones anyway.
Keeps you fresh in the marketing as well to have a meeting once a week.
Why do you think the alcoholics do it?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
On average how many realtors are in the RE Offices?

I spoke to my realtor today, and he wanted me to come out and do a presentation, he said they have about 40 realtors in their office alone.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Brian Robison said:
rhino1 said:

Good luck,

If you find a good BNI or Letip group you should join and visit all the other ones anyway.
Keeps you fresh in the marketing as well to have a meeting once a week.
Why do you think the alcoholics do it?

So what constitutes a good group? I thought I had joined a good group - I had a realtor, carpet retailer, the asst. director (who is so very nice and seems to be mentoring me - she alone is a great person to associate with) and lots of healthcare and healthy living type businesses as well as insurance reps who promised to send me emergency water removal jobs. So I joined.
Referrals I have gotten:0
referrals I have given:about 7 in 2 months

I happened to have some free time to visit another group one day that had plumbers, HVAC guys, painters, you know - working stiffs.
I walked out with 3 jobs that day, the HVAC guy sends me air duct cleaning jobs every week! The guys in that group GET IT, and they actively seek work and opportunity for each other. My point is, not knowing there was a difference, I joined a group that isn't working out for me too well- and not for lack of trying, but I didn't have a clue that there would be a difference! That is why I suggest visiting each group 2X before picking one, don't just join whatever group is there.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
admiralclean said:
The guy is starving and all you idiots can talk about is yourselves.

We can only go on what we do or have done.

But hey, that was a great suggestion you gave. :roll:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Marty has to read up on ICS to figure out what everyone else is doing then he'll get back to you.

I was too lazy to read all of the posts, but incase this hasn't been mentioned I would suggest looking into speaking at a Realtor Association meeting as well as a BNI.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Jerry,
Sounds like you’re on the right track. It takes time for things to come full circle. It takes most guys 3 years or more before the really have a really profitable business. You might try to find something part time to supplement your income that does not interfere with you growing your business. Maybe a few janitorial accounts? Keep hitting the bricks when you are not working. Most cleaners have to do some low bid type cash flow work to stay alive the first few years. If you have not done so, Set up a database of your customers and send them some kind of mailer. I use click2mail.com it’s about $.50 for custom color postcards printed and mailed. Keep your name fresh in the mind of past customers and prospects. Don’t give up your on the verge of success and the job market isn’t looking so hot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom