latest stone job

Name
Ron lippold
this is my latest stone job with Monkey Pads. It was a black marble and in bad shape. The maintance crew had slaped some wax on it and it looked like shit.

Before
P7110957.jpg

P7110958.jpg

P7110961.jpg

its hard to see but they washed the floor with a acid cleaner and it has a bunch of acid marks on it.

After
P7110969.jpg

P7110967.jpg

P7110967.jpg

Attachments

• P7110967.jpg
    P7110967.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 131

BUSY BEE

do you have any plans on removing the obvious picture framing? Sorry, Monkey Pads lick balls

Name
Ron lippold
no im not going to flatten the floor they knew about the un even floor. shined up real nice thats what they wanted.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

Good Job, on the veined black marble.

Did you have to start with 400 grit Monkey pads for the acid damage ?

We typically use them first, on that type of problem.

Larry

-JB-

Name
JB
Also What is picture framing?

Seems kinda the equivalent of soil filtration lines to carpets cleaners, a minor annoyance around the edges, but most folks don't wanna pay a little extra to have it removed.

That sound 'bout right?

Name
Ron lippold
picture framing is when the floor is uneven-or has lippage the lippage on this floor is not all that bad but due to the color of the stone it jumps out more.

First step was to strip the wax off the floor applied by janitor. We started with the 800 grit and did that step twice. We did the rest of the steps up to 11,000. Then we sealed with impregnator and set for 45 minutes, then buffed with cotton bonnett.

Ps you rinse the floor between steps.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
JB;

Look at the bottom picture of Ron's.

Find the tile at the bottom of the flour. light.

Look at the dull areas along the bottom edge.

That portion was not polished as well because the tile below it was slightly higher.

Larry

Bob Foster

In the after pictures beside the door I see near the flourescent light reflections of what appear to be window paneing.

Am I right Ron? Did you encounter any lippage?

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Thanks Ron! Great job! Whats the best way to rinse between steps? Mop and shop vac? spinner with the pressure dialed down? I guess that would make a mess of your waste tank.

BUSY BEE

Ron Lippold said:
no im not going to flatten the floor they knew about the un even floor. shined up real nice thats what they wanted.
I'm sure they weren't gonna pay to have it ground flat, but what about taking those frames out by hand? Were there a lot? Framing obviously stands out big time on Grigio Carnico

Name
Ron lippold
floor was not that bad, in a couple of places it stood out a little more floor took us abot 7 hr total time a little over 400 sq ft, it was a Vortex day and a half.

I rinsed with a spinner dialed down to 750 and water temp of 190

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ron Lippold said:
that is just 3/4 of a vortex day. and it was a saturday

soooo roughly $2500 i would bet....maybe closer to 2800 and 400 sq would equate to $7 a ft...

so he is only raping 1.5 peoples anuses.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

but hey f it, if they pay for it

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Anyone know how well Monkey Pads work with an Orbot? Also I have almost 3000 square ft to quote at a bank. The marble is not in real bad shape, just getting dull in the traffic areas. It is light colored, and I will have to clean the grout lines and polish the marble. What kind of price could I do it for and still make good money? Can I start with a higher grit since the floor is in decent shape? I figure they are not going to pay no where near $7. Can I still make money in the $1.50 to $2 range?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
tracywalker said:
Anyone know how well Monkey Pads work with an Orbot? Also I have almost 3000 square ft to quote at a bank. The marble is not in real bad shape, just getting dull in the traffic areas. It is light colored, and I will have to clean the grout lines and polish the marble. What kind of price could I do it for and still make good money? Can I start with a higher grit since the floor is in decent shape? I figure they are not going to pay no where near $7. Can I still make money in the $1.50 to $2 range?

An op machine might be too light and not create enough torque. A weighted 175 would be more ideal for stone work w/ or w/out those monkey pads.

If you're doing stone work for $1 a ft you might as well do carpet for .05 a ft. It takes time to do stone and not every job you'll be able to use the Monkey pads also known as the Twister pads(same pads cheaper price). My recommendation for 3k in a bank would be to get a "stoner" in your area to sub the work to. This way you can make the $1-2 a sqft and get some good experience while getting hands on training as well. I would only use the monkey pads if you know you can use them, this should be determinded on the amount of experience you have, let the local competitor price the job out for you so both of you can make $, this way you won't have to worry about an unhappy account especially in a high traffic area such as a bank.

Name
Ron lippold
ive heard through the grape vine a op machine works fine. and yes on the lighter and softer stone you can skip steps im told.so a couple of bucks a foot and your ok.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Looks good Ron.

Incidentally, black and white is one of the most challanging marbles to polish via conventional methods.

Albert

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i would go to a class before doing something like a bank but also i think it is important ( and i believe most experienced pros would say) is to set expectations so that the customers know what they are going to get for the money they are going to spend.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Thanks for all the advice. I met with the bank this morning and since I do their carpets I have a good relationship with the manager. We talked and they are currently paying about $1 a foot to have it cleaned and buffed. It has been 2 years since they last had it done. They are not looking for anything spectacular. I know I can clean the grout just fine, just wondering if I used a one step polish afterwards with say the 8000 grit monkey pad if that would be an improvement? Floor is not in that bad of shape. Just needs to "pop" a little more.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tracy;

The Orbot is a very good machine for use with the "Monkey Pads".

It is the machine they use for demos.

On the last question...,

you will need several "Pad Steps" to develop a good shine.

The condition of the foor will determine which grit to start with.

Larry

BUSY BEE

tracywalker said:
Thanks for all the advice. I met with the bank this morning and since I do their carpets I have a good relationship with the manager. We talked and they are currently paying about $1 a foot to have it cleaned and buffed. It has been 2 years since they last had it done. They are not looking for anything spectacular. I know I can clean the grout just fine, just wondering if I used a one step polish afterwards with say the 8000 grit monkey pad if that would be an improvement? Floor is not in that bad of shape. Just needs to "pop" a little more.
If they're having it "cleaned & buffed at $1 per ft" it may have been crystalized. Take some pictures and post them if you can.

M

markd9

I bought a couple of full sets of Eco Pads earlier this year, and just got around to doing a couple of jobs
with them. Eco Pads are pretty much comparable with Monkey Pads. In the 17" size, I have seven pads, from a
low grit of 200 (brown pad) all the way up to 11,000 (green pad). The smaller 7" set omits the brown pad for
some reason. I've tried these on 2 jobs to date with very nice results: a totally dulled out home kitchen floor;
and a comparable small hotel lobby. Not really knowing which grit to begin with, I started at the bottom,
and went all the way up to 11,000 on each job. I didn't get quite the clarity of a perfect mirror finish, but
both customers were very pleased and impressed. Since I wasn't sure what my results were going to be, I
agreed to do each job at $2.50/s.f. I generated about $100 per hour on each job, even though I was probably
using more pads than someone more knowledgeable might to get the same result. I was using my 15" Challenger
OP machine with 20 lbs. of runners weights wrapped around the bottom of the shaft. I also used the Challenger
with damp Argo 2-sided all-cotton pads between grits to remove any slurry and/or pad residue from the floor
before going on to the next higher grit.
In jumping around the internet to learn more about this method, I've found the HTC site (http://www.htc-america.com)
with their Twister pads. HTC also sells something called DCS Hybrid pads, which start at a low of 80 grit (brown pad)
and have something like cleats (5 in all) which fit onto the holding system. I ordered a set, and just received
them today. The low grit cleat things are supposed to be able to remove "some" lippage. Anyone familiar
with these?

Mark Dullea
http://www.drysdales123.com
http://www.carpet-cleaning-business.com
http://www.planet-orbital.com
Peabody MA USA

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
HTC floor systems was the original founder of these type of pads before Monkey pads were introduced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom