Lead mitigation

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
A customer stated that during a home inspection the inspector discovered they were tracking in lead onto their rugs and recommended in plant cleaning of the rugs.
I'm skeptical, But we'll take precautions and probably test the dust for lead myself.
What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't she also need to have the surrounding area around her home cleaned as well?

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Sounds like Scooter is getting a kick back from the inplant... How did he test the fibers ...lol. Drop that job...asap.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A customer stated that during a home inspection the inspector discovered they were tracking in lead onto their rugs and recommended in plant cleaning of the rugs.
I'm skeptical, But we'll take precautions and probably test the dust for lead myself.
What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't she also need to have the surrounding area around her home cleaned as well?
Unless you are willing to have the rugs tested for lead after cleaning, I wouldn't touch that job. Sounds like a law suit waiting.

FredC

Village Idiot
Like Ron said. I would have it tested before it was reintroduced to the home. For all you know there is a constant rain of lead ceiling paint contaminating it although tracking lead in is apparently a thing (industry, exterior paint, etc)

I mean I guess I knew it was possible just figured most cases where it would be an issue were from interior paint and other things. Probably a customer I would avoid but you are used to dealing with the more special among us.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I'm a licensed lead abatement contractor, John.
I know a little

I'd like to see the lead risk assessment report.
There should be one if the "inspector" was a lead risk assessor licensed with the state* .
(*though Ca may be different than Ohio)

Highly unusual to have lead dust on rugs and not the floors too.
and the way every lead risk assessment report I've seen (two/three a month) if one surface (floor, window sill or trough) tests hot, all the rest are "presumed" hot

the report will also have the "recommended action"

for lead dust only, the recommended action is HUD cycle clean
(hepa vac/wet clean/hepa vac again)

To CYA ('cause you don't know the source nor if the rugs were removed to storage and house HUD cycle cleaned and passed assessor's clearance)
I'm with Ron

Whoever is licensed in your state to do lead clearance, you need to include in your cost the cost of the assessor's "pass" clearance report
(it's anywhere from $300 to $500 here)

..L.T.A.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I had my son save the vacuumed dust and I'll plan on testing it. guess I should test the cleaned rug as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom