Leather Cleaning- minor smoke damage?

Chris A

Name
Chris
kitchen fire, minor odor from a burning pizza. With limited leather cleaning experience (1-2 sofas a year), is this something I should immediately run from?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I think the key is, "What type of leather is involved?"

Protected leather can be cleaned without a lot of special training. On the other hand analine, nubuck, suede can be a little more tricky.

Another question is. "What surfaces absorbed the odor?" For example a leather coat may have non leather surfaces that could soak in a lot of odor. Are we talking upholstery here or other leather items?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, are there any cracked or worn areas ?
If so you will have a more difficult time as it is no longer "protected".

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Finished leather should be pretty easy to clean, may not need a degreaser, and just a good cleaner like Leather Strong by Leather Master. I know there is Leather Doctor as well but I'm not familiar with Roger's products.

You could also try a Vaportek with a cartridge for any small odor, as its safe to use on leather and other items where Ozone machines are not.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Is the odor only in the leather, or is it in other furnishings as well such as curtains, carpet, etc; ??

If in the leather, has it penetrated into any of the cushion material.??

Or is it maybe psychological odor. ??

Ooroo,

:roll:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I'm with Steven on this one.

Leathermaster Strong cleaner for overall cleaning. Then Vaportek's SOS (Smoke Odor Solution) to remove the odor. This can reach any place the smoke odor went.

As Tony says, damage to the finish may mean that some areas are no longer protected, but the above should work for most situations.

Roger Koh

It is a guarantee success if you dare to follow my prescription!

From burning pizzas; the odor could be pungent or putrid.

Odors derive from incomplete combustions and its micron size particles are usually sticky that off-gases the odor.

The prescription is to strip off these sticky micron residues that is where the source of the odors comes from.

Thus stripping the foreign contamination with a pH 7.7 leather Prep.

In conjunction with a pH 4.7 soot and smoke booster that will neutralize the odors.

Then clean-off this sticky mess with a pH 3.8 Cleaner.

Follows with a pH 3.0 leather acidifier Rinse until the leather is squeaky clean.

Thereafter mask any traces of smoke odors with the unforgettable classical leather scent with a buttery feel that charms.

We have testimony that says the leather now scent better than pre-fire condition!

You need a starter kit to test it out, and off you will be enjoying the lucrative leather cleaning and restoration facade of the cleaning and restoration industry.

Leather cleaning and restoration is the apex of the cleaning and restoration industry; many may disagree as they have yet to reach this lucrative mountain top to enjoy the view!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom