Leather Teaser #2

Roger Koh

20yrsbefore.jpg

20yrsafter.jpg

Besides the grease stain gone on this 20 years old nubuck, which is the correct answer for reviving its color?

Pick your answer!

A. Hydrating with Fatliquoring.

B. Hydrating, Fatliquoring with Nubuck Transparent Dye.

C. Hydrating, Fatliquoring with Nubuck Opaque Color.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'd also guess "A" but then I have not done much Nubuck furniture in this condition.

Andrew, it may just be a case of semantics but whatever it is, restoring the moisture content of the leather with a humectant the way Roger's product does, really works - pure and simple.

In recent years the Leatherique product was my choice and it has been the choice of a good many high end Auto manufacturers. But none of these products could close up cracks, soften the leather and fill out the dry leather that is common in my area.
Our winters are so cold that the humidity is zero and the forced air furnaces in our homes often run 24/7, fireplaces are common and the sun shines a lot in our winters.

Roger's product is light years ahead of any Fenice or Leathermaster product that I have used.

Does the humidity in the UK ever drop below 90 % ? :mrgreen:

jayjacques

Roger you big tease!
Well I'd say "C". I didn't know there were 2 kinds of nubuck dyes - transparent and opaque. But since the finished product looks more than transparent, I'd give it to the opaque. These are the kind of jobs I've not done, but need to learn. So Roger spill it, how did you get to the finished product? And I've got to agree on the softening and re-liquoring; even in the products I've used occasionally, I've seen it work.

Andya

We have spoken to tanners and scientists in the industry for the last 5 years and all of them have said that re-fatliquoring is simply not possible. Re hydrating can be done with water and does not need anything else.

Roger Koh

John,
This job was done by a carpet cleaner like you (his 4th nubuck set so far since October 10th).
He was frustrated with previous systems, but now elated!
These are the only 2 before and after pictures send to me for review and instruction.
I may post pictures of his first nubuck attempt, if you like.

Andrew,
Thanks for your curiosity about fatliquoring, perhaps speak to the tanners and scientists and see what they think about “Leather Teaser #1”.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=19848

Tony,
You have the advantage of first hand knowledge, thanks for your appreciation of these products that delivers professional result.
How did the redo turn out (adhesion problem with previous system?).
Show some of your work too, especially on fatliquoring. Thanks!

Jay,
The nubuck water based transparent dye is livelier and brilliant.
It is design to penetrate deeper, with a finer softer feel.
It is developed to even out the color difference after fatliquoring but since it is transparent it may not cover up undesirable appearances.
The nubuck water based opaque dye has a better hiding power or coverage which is also UV stronger.
But it does not have a finer feel in comparison of the two.
It is very difficult to differentiate by look between transparency and opacity on a nubuck, since it does not have a smooth surface but nap and light are disperse in all directions.
So it always have a matte look until body oils build up that shines.
So you still have a choice of answer A or B plus C.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom