LES I wanna know more about that big truck

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
How many did you make?
Do you still have one left, that you use, or on display? It would be ashame if you dont have one any more.

Who takes care of astroturf now? Why do you not market to stadiums?

joeynbgky said:
How many did you make?
Do you still have one left, that you use, or on display? It would be ashame if you dont have one any more.

Who takes care of astroturf now? Why do you not market to stadiums?

Joey,

All I have left of the Astroturf cleaning unit is the blower which was a #8 Sutorbilt that produced 1200 CFM.

100_1072.jpg

Astroturf is being cleaned now by truckmounts and wands. A lot of people don’t know the history of Judson, but my Dad holds 26 patents in the carpet cleaning industry. He is the inventor and patent holder of the world’s first truckmount which is this Astroturf cleaning unit. He made the unit in 1965, about the same time the Houston Astrodome was constructed.

futboltiff22222255.jpg

777.jpg

222.jpg

judsonshow021.jpg

PNG1PNG.png

astro-tm5PNG.jpg

astro-tm2PNG.jpg

Monsanto was the producer of Astroturf and the first place they installed it was at some colleges in Pennsylvania. These football fields were outdoors. They were next to a coal-burning smoke stack. At this time, Monsanto had no real way of cleaning the Astroturf. In 1965 there was only the shampoo method, which would leave the carpet with soapy residue. This residue was unacceptable because if football players were playing in the rain, it would make for an interesting football game.

My Dad, Judson Jones is a graduate of Clemson University in Textile Engineering. He designed this system for Monsanto, and they used it to go around and clean all the football fields they had installed Astroturf in. It was used by them for about 5 years until the development of slide-in truckmounts and wands.

As I said, Judson O. Jones is the inventor of the truckmount. I’ve made this statement quite a few times and no one has ever been able to prove me wrong. I’ve had the U.S. Patent office in Washington do a search on this issue and the closest patent I’ve found is after my Dad’s. I will post it for you to see.

untitledntitled.jpg

Another thing that I’m proud of my Dad for is that he holds the world’s first patent for a carpet cleaning wand. To this day, wands are still designed the same way.

wand2.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1072.jpg
    100_1072.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 109
  • futboltiff22222255.jpg
    futboltiff22222255.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 109
  • judsonshow021.jpg
    judsonshow021.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 105
  • PNG1PNG.png
    PNG1PNG.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 111
  • astro-tm5PNG.jpg
    astro-tm5PNG.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 102
  • astro-tm2PNG.jpg
    astro-tm2PNG.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 103
  • untitledntitled.jpg
    untitledntitled.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 104
  • wand2.jpg
    wand2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 115

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Les, your dad is tha man! I think you should find one of those old chevy trucks and re-assemble the astoturf machine and make it look the same way. It could be taken to trade shows and such. Alot of people havent heard of judson, I know you have been around for years........... You said you private labeled machines............... What were those machines?

Your company history is very interesting.

One more thing, your dad burned me with his cigar at mikeyfest!! He didnt even notice, I didnt say anything. Haha So I have a the judson scar for life

Bob Foster

The hell he didn't notice. Those old guys can fart in an elevator too and not break a smile.

Mike, Lisa and I tried that at MikeFest but we broke out laughing.

A

amazingcleansc

the first truck mount cc patent ran coolant/cleaning solution
the engine block??!

That's bad ass! Just don't run out of water on the job!

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I remember Les's telling me about that machine @ MF6. Had the pleasure to meet his father and had dinner w/ the Judson crew, Terry, and everyone else(you know who you all are) the second night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom