Less Mr Know It All and more Pettyjohn

Mikey P

Administrator
Testing 1 2 3. So I just left an estimate where hubby wanted to be home with his wife to ask a bunch of somewhat detailed questions. And when it came to talking about the grout it was only two years old and should be an off-white Missouri muddied up so I asked her how she's going about clean it and she had one of those Goofy mops with the plastic collar on it that rinses out the mop water yeah I guess the way I told her well it's all the fault of that mop she took it personally I got the look and see you left the conversation I guess I humiliated her in front of her husband now that I think about it so I told her husband that I would send information on how to do it a much cheaper quicker faster way with a flat mop but I think he sensed it as well. I wish I would have said man would you mind if I shared some information with you on how to best clean this floor so it stays looking nice and bright and white and the color that you undoubtedly took the time or spent a lot of time to pick out. I don't know if I can get the abrasiveness out of me with training or just the way it is a personality set in stone and if they do go with the bid I'm sure I can make up for it without them knowing about it and I'll be left I'll be leaving them with a great lasting impression but when you only have a few minutes to give an estimate as they say it's hard to get a second chance on leaving your first impression. Who knows I could be making this all up in my mind but she came from a very high referral source I hope I didn't blow it but making fun of her stupid mop.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
First, thank you for inserting a few periods.

Mike, there is a very fine line we walk between being informative and condescending.

It gets to be tougher when there are people who thank you when you are being condescending and who get annoyed at you being informative. So there's that....

Here is a helpful chart for future reference: mansplaining.jpg

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I wouldve just said, "unfortunately, those mop are not the most effective means to clean those tile and grouts. Would you like me to show you a different way and tools to keep them looking cleaner longer? It will only take few moments.."

that will give them an option to choose whether they want you to educate them or not, and be done with it.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
probably used speak and type without editing.

Some women internally see their home or housekeeping skills as an extension of their body hygiene.
Knowing how to use this to your advantage can help grow your business.
Knowing when to be humble or self confident is a skill that takes time.
I think if you take the time to meditate on this event, you will learn and grow from it.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
i've been told ppl either love me or hate me lol

every once in a while you find someone a bit more sensitive than others.

i've definitely shoved my foot in my mouth a few times.

ive used similar tones when a addressing ppl using mop and glow type products.

hard too tell each situation is different

steve_64

I want to know what you two geniuses think is the better way?
Just give them a price to clean it. Stop asking for their vacuum mops and brooms to play detective.

When they ask and they will always ask how best to care for it then give them that information.

If they knew how to clean they wouldn't be calling you.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's hard not to laugh when they, in all seriousness, show you something that in our mind is just ridiculous. I often get people telling me that they vacuum often but can't get the pet hair or other debris from their carpet. When I see their vacuum, it turns out to have just a flat floor tool. You have to kindly explain why a motorized head is better.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Sometimes when I hear Scott with a customer he comes across all wrong and when I point it out he seems shocked. I think those of you who really know your stuff just sometimes forget that other people have a different view/perspective/experience. Your tone may convey that you think something is obvious and it can be offensive. You clearly learned from it and at least you recognized that even though you didn’t intend to, you gave offense. Good man.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I’m glad you got the job, and glad you learned a lesson nonetheless.

By the way, Mr. Pettyjohn is with me here at the event I’m participating in. He will appreciate the story.

My son spent time with him him here too, and it was a learning experience at several levels. I’m going to have to introduce him to Fred Boyle just to bring balance back to his universe.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You got it.

Most, not all people don't care to be educated in cleaning. If they do you'll know because they will tell you I already Googled how to...

They majority are just want to know who to call. These you can educate passively through your handouts materials. It will reinforce you were the right call.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom