Lets make Yeadon and Miller work this weekend.

Mikey P

Administrator
According to legend, Billy and Wayne are our utmost authorities on proper and effective Yellow Page ad design.
So I thought it would be fun if some of us copy a page or two from your local book and have them both critique them here.

and since lesterj2 knows how to write some sweet copy, he can chime in too...

fire away boys!

yp0001.jpg

yp0002.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'll start with the first blunder I see often.

#1. Every Yp ad needs an attention getting headline.

#2 A company name is not a headline.

Where in all those ads is the USP. (besides "se habla espanol")
What seperates any of those ads from the rest of the pack.

In Yp you are competing heads up with all your other competion.
You have to stand out.
You have to get the clients attention.

Out of all those ads the "Jasmin" ad gets my eye's attention.

The rest are lost on the page.

Here is a link to some on line tips:

http://www.adrevamp.com/Yellow-Page-Advertising.html

Dave-

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
It always worries me when I see my name in a post heading especially by Mikey. And yes Wayne does awesome work. I always show hisstuff in my classes.
Anyhow as Dave stated the first problem (other than being in the YP) is the only person who cares about your company is the owner, so why is it the headline.

Quality Carpet Care is the most overused name, besides Superior or Budget. Who cares that they have a Butler TM certainly not the customer. Most of the ads all give features not benefits.

Of course my favorite headline is when you repeat the page heading such as Carpet & Rug Cleaners. I don't think anyone is expecting to find a plumber in this section.

How about the phrase "certified experts" I have never seen a course that certifes you as an expert.

"We work with All Insurance Companies to Make Flooding As Painless of a Process As Possible" I didn't know flooding was a process that a company offered.

What exactly does "Satisfaction Guaranteed" mean. What do I get if I am not satisfied? A guarantee must state what the customer gets if they are not satisfied or else it is worthless.

People only care about what's in it for them so th headline must state an answer to their problem.

Marketing is about finding the pain and then removing it.

My best advice for anyone is to call Wayne and have him design a good ad.

Able 1

Name
Keith
This is my YP ad they had there advertising dept. design it... Not the greatest for a "professional"!

Good time for this thread I have to meet with him monday.

I do three half pages and it costs $3,600 not bad thats why I keep doing it.

yellowbook002.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
That would get you alot of work in bawbs area! Then you have bobs prices too! Looks good though... like somthing I created on the back of my sprirl notebook in fifth grade odivously duing spelling class!

Keith

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Geez, Bill's a hard act to follow, and as the saying goes, he's forgotten more than I know.

My first reaction to the ads Mikey posted is they kind of run together. See anything especially appealing to attract your eye, trigger an emotion or build confidence in a consumer? The last one does more so than the rest. The one before it has a pic but it feels an afterthought, another bullet or starburst. It was plopped in rather than using it to set the tone. The biggest hurdle is to be more noticeable than everybody else. If you can't do that what you say in the ad might be moot point.

I don't like to pick other folks stuff apart. YP artists work with time constraints an ad agency doesn't have. They do what they can with the little time they have. But, here's a few thoughts to keep in mind.

Find something that catches your eye and makes you stop and take a second look. A pic, a headline. Maybe something odd or unexpected, something interruptive that makes you go, "huh?" Like this,

mold_dollar_bill.jpg

If you saw this thumbing through the YP you'd probably take a second look.

There's an emotional component to the act of getting clean carpets. It feels good and most of our customers are women. Emotional hooks are great, whether it's warm and fuzzy like smiles, eye contact, moms and kids, babies, puppies and so on, or something clever and humorous. I've posted this before, but here's something we started sending out last week. It's something someone would hopefully take a minute to read and find cute, clever and funny.

shoot_me.jpg

It's gotta make you look professional. When you look professional you also look trustworthy, reliable and less risky than less professional appearing advertisers. It's a message you convey without saying a word and when it works it's believable because the customer comes to the conclusion themselves.

It needs to address more than just carpet cleaning. Of course Mrs. Piffleton wants clean carpets. What other concerns does she have? How about is it safe? Is it non-toxic? Will it take days to dry and will the spots come back like it did last time? Who's gonna do the work, some scary, obnoxious, heavily pierced, sleeved-out 19 year old who's gonna make me really nervous the whole three hours he's here or will it be someone I can trust and relate to? What happens if there's a problem? I'm gonna take time off and move a lot of stuff, are they gonna show up? Do they know what they're doing? Do they care?

There's a lot of stuff, besides getting the carpet clean, that our customers are concerned about. To what extent have you addressed those concerns in your ad? Why not put your picture in the ad? A good picture, not a snap shot. Maybe even hire a photographer.

And, Bill makes a good point, if your guarantee doesn't have teeth, what is it worth? You guarantee their satisfaction or what? Remove the risk, let them know how you're gonna fix the problem if you don't leave them absolutely delighted.

Talk about the benefits of hiring you whatever they are. Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Make it easy to find what you do, make sure reading the piece is a pleasant experience. Some stuff is just plain hard, if not painful, to read. Keep plenty of white space. And, please don't check my spelling, but always check yours. lol

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"YP artists work with time constraints an ad agency doesn't have."

Great point, Wayne. (Much better than Big Billy's stuff.) This was the single best thing I ever learned during my YP years. Do NOT let the YP boiler room "artists" hack your ad out. By the time it goes from you through your YP rep to them and then comes back to you it will be unrecognizable from the vision you painfully detailed to your rep. PLUS you are going to be legally on the hook for this baby for 12 months. Som eserious coin so you better really make sure it sells carpet cleaning! Soooooo ...

Whatever it takes- hire an independent graphics artist to do your ad. (Actually, someone like Wayne!) Plus most YP companies will rebate back 15% of the yearly total on the ad for copy that is already digitally formatted and ready to plus in. This will usually more than cover your ad development costs AND you retain control of the process the entire way.

Island Boy
Happily retired for the YP extortion racket now for almost 17 years

PS One thing I would really emphasize in my YP ad today is "go to my web-site".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom