Let's play what's my number AGAIN.....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Dmreed4311 said:
Did your formula on my oldest Tm (11 years) put in my average techs salary plus my salary salary divided by 5. My total came out to be 267.77 per hour based on it having 4123 hours on it. I keep pretty good books and know exactly what each van makes, seems high to me and Iam border line illiterate so I may be a little off.
No you did it wrong :) take your yearly costs. The cost of what it would be to replace your tm/van etc which should be somewhere between 600- 800 per month on average unless you buying large machines, add that to every expense including your owners draw/salary Then divide all of that by the hours you ran. That will give you a pretty accurate cost for each of those hours you were making money or in some cases not making money.

That is the hours you ran the year you are adding up the expenses for.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
stop fighting the truth. I gave you hard numbers and you look for reasons to skewer them. accept it. I gave you numbers based on 2000 hrs how long should an apex or everest last

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Huh? What is the total yearly expenses? you can remove all non carpet cleaning expenses then divide that by the hours the machine ran that year. It's not hard Greg. if your equipment is paid off you need to include what the payment would be to replace it because it doesn't last forever and that should be treated as a hard cost and should be banked for that purpose.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
everything is paid off and the machines hours are higher than 2000 and have plenty of dough for new ones but as you know if I didn't it doesn't change the numbers much except for interest rate, true? If I made a profit of $300 a day from my 3 machines I would not be out of business and that is what the discussion was. Truth be told I do not make a profit of $300 from each machine each day. Gross maybe but after taxes and everything else I probably only profit about $250 from each truck and the rest is all the other services. I will be lucky to actually make $175,000 this year but the future is bright with VCT and rugs which is a 50/50 split with carpets forecasted

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Greg it isnt a pissing match. Just tying to help:) you have your numbers and if you think it only cost you $13 and hour to run your truck then who am I to argue any further

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I never said that and I am shocked that you are so obtuse. I asked what am I missing
could you explain how to calculate the additional $50,000which would represent 7% along with 3.5% from rugs

over 10% coming from other areas and you want to attrribute all costs to the TMs

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Greg,

I wasn't questioning your information, I was curious. Not quite sure why you made the rude comment that I didn't deserve, but I still got love for ya. That is great production. You didn't specify what equipment you were using so I asked.

But I've done a lot of VCT. My first 2-3 years in this industry were nearly nothing but VCT work, day in day out, so I know a little bit about it. I've taken on little 100 sq ft entry ways, to the GM 6 speed transmission plant in Toledo, and everything in between. The Toledo plant's admin offices are 11,300 sq ft, and when it was a brand new install I had to go in scrub the dirt and factory coat off, clean it, and apply a finish that had 25% solids(4 coats) for a nice high shine. It took 2 days and 30 man hours, and I think we charged .33 or .36 a sq. Its been 7-8 years.

I've done larger projects but they were broken down into sections. As the installers finished and the glue cured, we were in there scrubbing the factory finish off and coating it. Biggest to date that I can remember was a 125,000 sq ft commercial building with 4 floors. 82,000 of that was VCT. We did a lot of full stripping, scrub and re-coats, and spray and buffs, on many accounts.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
wasn't questioning your information, I was curious. Not quite sure why you made the rude comment that I didn't deserve, but I still got love for ya. That is great production. You didn't specify what equipment you were using so I asked.

you asked the same question twice, just in a different manner, that is why

The Toledo plant's admin offices are 11,300 sq ft, and when it was a brand new install I had to go in scrub the dirt and factory coat off, clean it, and apply a finish that had 25% solids(4 coats) for a nice high shine. It took 2 days and 30 man hours, and I think we charged .33 or .36 a sq. Its been 7-8 years

I guess you weren't a very good employee. Scrubbing and cleaning are the same thing I am not sure why they had a factory coat on it. I apply to a few installs and have never seen a factor coat

F

FB7777

Hoody said:
Greg,

I wasn't questioning your information, I was curious. Not quite sure why you made the rude comment that I didn't deserve, but I still got love for ya. That is great production. You didn't specify what equipment you were using so I asked.

But I've done a lot of VCT. My first 2-3 years in this industry were nearly nothing but VCT work, day in day out, so I know a little bit about it. I've taken on little 100 sq ft entry ways, to the GM 6 speed transmission plant in Toledo, and everything in between. The Toledo plant's admin offices are 11,300 sq ft, and when it was a brand new install I had to go in scrub the dirt and factory coat off, clean it, and apply a finish that had 25% solids(4 coats) for a nice high shine. It took 2 days and 30 man hours, and I think we charged .33 or .36 a sq. Its been 7-8 years.

I've done larger projects but they were broken down into sections. As the installers finished and the glue cured, we were in there scrubbing the factory finish off and coating it. Biggest to date that I can remember was a 125,000 sq ft commercial building with 4 floors. 82,000 of that was VCT. We did a lot of full stripping, scrub and re-coats, and spray and buffs, on many accounts.

Hey Steve,

It sounds like you have more experience in all aspects of this business than me and this is my 23rd year :shock:

You really need to fish and stop cutting bait bro :mrgreen:

bigchuckie

HARPER said:
Greg...

VCT ...really.... :roll:

ShittiesT...job in the WORLD.... :oops:

WORST HOURS....WORST LABOR COST....WORST CHEM COST..."Are you a jAniToR"...?

55K in VCT work...is PaThEtiC for profit margins... :!:

You can make MORE profit...in 1 month of CARPET CLEANING.... :mrgreen:

There is thing weird thing up here in the NE called Winter. CC is dead VCT is slow Hmmm lets see VCT or starve

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
while Hoody plays with his pecker this morning I am headed out to do all the vacants at the Pinehills. Then is off to Storyland Sunday for a few days while we have a full week and a 60,000 sq ft job at the end of it

F

FB7777

very true Stephen

we're all in the janitorial biz including the "suck mop only" guys... our customer sees you bring in something that looks like a broom that uses water to remove dirt from a floor surface

How is this any more or less prestigious than VCT maintenance if, as Greg pointed out, you are CHOOSING the customers that you work for?

There is good paying VCT maintenance work out there that pays similar rates to carpet cleaning.

and like some of my other northern brothers, VCT has saved many a slow winters for me , especially in the early years

F

FB7777

XTREME1 said:
while Hoody plays with his pecker this morning I am headed out to do all the vacants at the Pinehills. Then is off to Storyland Sunday for a few days while we have a full week and a 60,000 sq ft job at the end of it

Enjoy it Greg, my family is heading down to Yarmouth today for 5 days and then back to the grind.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
bigchuckie said:
HARPER said:
Greg...

VCT ...really.... :roll:

ShittiesT...job in the WORLD.... :oops:

WORST HOURS....WORST LABOR COST....WORST CHEM COST..."Are you a jAniToR"...?

55K in VCT work...is PaThEtiC for profit margins... :!:

You can make MORE profit...in 1 month of CARPET CLEANING.... :mrgreen:

There is thing weird thing up here in the NE called Winter. CC is dead VCT is slow Hmmm lets see VCT or starve

There are ALSO a weird thing in the weastern USA...its called a DESERT.."We don't live in them"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7ehccspao

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
greg i'll be looking out for you tomorrow as we're up here for the week and are visiting storyland tomorrow afternoon. Is it true that harper is guarding cinderalla? shiteatinggrin
greg and fred have fun on your breaks from work and I'm sure that production number(whatever it is for you) will better for us all after a break

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Greg,

You were vague, you didn't specify what equipment you used, so I asked again. You can use a 175, a walk behind auto scrubber, and ride-on scrubber, a propane stripper, there are many tools. I was genuinely curious to see if you've invested into any other equipment since you seem to be doing more VCT now. By scrubbing and cleaning - I know you're scrubbing, but cleaning part I was wondering if you mop up the cleaner, or do you use wet/dry vac and use a squeegee attachment ?

There is a factory finish on brand new VCT, its applied so the tile doesn't get damaged upon transportation and keeps it protected a bit for the install. It really should be scrubbed off, the edges being the more important part. A lot of times 95% of it is worn off, its not very noticeable to begin with.

Fred,

You're right at some point I do. I guess if I really cared what everyone here thinks because I've never owned a business, I wouldn't be posting here. They can either read what I have to say, or scroll on by, either way its no sweat off my brow. But, I'm not investing money into a commodity service based company, living in NW Ohio where unemployment for this area is at 15% as of May. 340,000 people live here, 51,000 don't work. So out of 289k people that are working only 100-110k of them have disposable incomes, the rest are middle class getting by month to month. There are about 110(might be less by next spring) carpet cleaners that service the NW ohio area. This includes larger janitorial companies running trucks during the day too, O/O's, family owned small multi-truck, and about 10-12 big boys. That means only a client base of 1000 people average. We have multiple franchises that I know bank more that 1000 clients. I just really don't like my odds, wouldn't be smart.... RIGHT NOW!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
for a scrub and coat we wouldn't use a stripper because we would just be scrubbing it cleam. We have an autoscrubber, electric burnisher, propane burnisher etc etc. This job is too narrow in areas for the autoscrubber. We scrub squeegie and suck, water wet mop let dry and apply finish.

What I meant to say about the factory coat is we have never had to remove a factory coat by coat I meant a finish not a non gloss, with a new install we scrub red pad and cleaner thenacrylic and finish

S

sam miller

It sounds llike your diversified Greg. Its like when I do $300 worth of repairs its a little seam tape and mostly me and a power stretcher and some tackless not a lot of overhead there either.

I like repairs but then again I like carpet cleaning, I hate striping and waxing period. I'm sure with the proper training and eq I could do it but I stay busy dong residential carpet cleaning I wont be a Millionaire like Harper but my bills are paid and I do manage to save a few nichols.

My problem is I just dont trust anybody to do it for me, and I'll be 48 this year and I know I cant clean forever!

lance

Sam, have you ever thought of leasing an employee thru an agency so that you can have a helper when you need one and the agency takes care of all the workers comp, etc. of the worker? If one doesn't work out you can always try another worker until you find one you like.

S

sam miller

lance said:
Sam, have you ever thought of leasing an employee thru an agency so that you can have a helper when you need one and the agency takes care of all the workers comp, etc. of the worker? If one doesn't work out you can always try another worker until you find one you like.

Good idea still my almost 17 year old son who hates carpet cleaning and I cant blame him is helping me, He's earning money to go on a trip with his Mom to Russia in oct.

Tell then He sets up breaks down and Vacuums and Busts out a few rooms here and then rakes pretty good too.

I dont mind him knowing what I know but He wants to go to school and do anything else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom