Let's see and hear about your parents

Mikey P

Administrator
Let's see your best photo of your parents..

My dad was an Iowain Farm Boy who moved to Los Angeles to help build track homes.

He met my 19 year old mom who was touring the states with a group Belgian girls..

She went home with a croissant in the oven..

Her parents sent Collette right back to Burbank CA to find Paul..... IMG_20190317_181541.jpg

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
My dad was a burned out hippie that did time for possessing 125lbs of pot with intent to distribute. He died of COPD.
My mom lives in Palm Springs in her own world.

Reactions: DAT and Mikey P

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Not long before they died. Dad was once a competitive diver, built like Tarzan. He met Mom while he was in seminary. Mom was a younger, blue-eyed Philadelphia girl who followed Dad to the Middle East as a missionary’s wife. I miss them both. The reason I picked this shot is that both of them knew death was coming and both of them faced it unflinchingly. I’ve seen and been with men and women as they died but have never witnessed the confidence and acceptance these two displayed. I wonder if my own faith is that strong...

BAC150D2-3FDA-460D-9BFC-52A3E4D59209.jpeg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not long before they died. Dad was once a competitive diver, built like Tarzan. He met Mom while he was in seminary. Mom was a younger, blue-eyed Philadelphia girl who followed Dad to the Middle East as a missionary’s wife. I miss them both. The reason I picked this shot is that both of them knew death was coming and both of them faced it unflinchingly. I’ve seen and been with men and women as they died but have never witnessed the confidence and acceptance these two displayed. I wonder if my own faith is that strong...

View attachment 89548
My father was like that. I even asked his doctor if he understood the gravity of the situation. He confirmed he did. Solid and steadfast to the end.

We only know it does end for us all, not how or when. No, I don't believe if faced with those same circumstances I can be so strong.

My mother was different and I don't know if she ever knew. She also had strong faith, along with feeling lost without my father. Many times I'd go to visit and she said she was just waiting to go.

I love life and enjoy the gift of living every day. I'm much greedier than either of them two, no length of time will ever be too much. 🙂

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Mom was very active and talented. Self-taught to play a variety of musical instruments as a child. Started the school band in high school in Jamestown TN. Often played keyboards and mouth organ for public events. She was also a great story teller and loved to attend and participate in various country story-telling events.

She was a professional baseball player for a very short time (1942 League of their Own era). Her goal was to raise 9 boys and manage a family baseball team. That never happened, but we did learn a lot of nuances of baseball before I got to first grade.

Dad was expelled from school at the start of the 8th grade. Highly valued education. Set-up a home classroom to begin teaching my brother and I reading, history, geography and math when we were about 3. Gave me a good head start by the time I got to first grade.

He sold, delivered, set-up and repaired mobile homes for my grandfathers company and later starting his own window washing business which led me to the cleaning industry.

No photos in digital format.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
20131209_114816.JPG

Been married for about 59 years. I think staying married was important to them since both were orphans at one time in their lives.

Dad was a salesman and mom was a waitress.

Having material things wasn't important to them. Experiencing lifelong memories with their children is What mattered most. They gave us an amazing childhood and I am very grateful for.
Dad taught me alot about life. I learned a lot from my dad's mistakes as well. I remember thinking --that seems painful or difficult -- note to self-- don't do that when you grow up. Haha.
My mom taught me the value of hard work. She gave me my 1st job. Put the fear of God in me when she warned. "You better work hard and not embarrass me"

Mikey P

Administrator
View attachment 89567View attachment 89568

Been married for about 59 years. I think staying married was important to them since both were orphans at one time in their lives.

Dad was a salesman and mom was a waitress.

Having material things wasn't important to them. Experiencing lifelong memories with their children is What mattered most. They gave us an amazing childhood and I am very grateful for.
Dad taught me alot about life. I learned a lot from my dad's mistakes as well. I remember thinking --that seems painful or difficult -- note to self-- don't do that when you grow up. Haha.
My mom taught me the value of hard work. She gave me my 1st job. Put the fear of God in me when she warned. "You better work hard and not embarrass me"

Great photos and story..

Props!

Reactions: Papa John

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I’m the product of a teen pregnancy. My parents love me and I love them but....
When I was 6 my dad was run out of town for being a drug dealer and “letting” the Hells Angels to do there thing at his bar. He is still not welcome. I’ve seen him once or twice a year since. I’m 44. He a good guy at heart but he is road hard and put up wet. The MC’s didn’t want him after he lost his bar. He travels the country as a crane operator. He’s 61 and owns an motorcycle and a truck. He still owes 25,000 on the fifth wheel he lives in.
My mom worked hard to provide for me. I never felt short changed even though we kinda of were. Her parents died young and my dads parents were about as helpful as he was. We were on our own. My moms siblings all moved away. She owned a custom picture framing shop for 25 years or so. She did well but unfortunately though she was a cocaine addict until about 15 years ago. She retired a few years ago and fortunately my step dad takes really good care of her. She a little squireely from the drug abuse.
My parents did an excellent job on showing me what not to do. So there’s that. I’m not bitter. I didn’t know any different.
On a brighter note. My wife’s parents have both passed away. I was lucky to know them both. Her family is very close. We’re going on 13 years now and it’s great to have a family. My son is about to be 2 1/2 and he is awesome.

F

FB7777

My dad had a small medical practice and my mom was a family law attorney

I grew up in a Brownstone in the city with my 3 sisters

One sister married a musician Whom she later divorced

My dad was always telling jokes and we had a wonderful upper middle class upbringing

It wasn't until I was an adult that rumors of infidelity swirled around my father

Despite the accusations , my mom stayed with my dad but I always felt stress in the home when I would return for holidays

It's an early photo but still one of my favorites... it sure beats dad's current orange jumpsuit attire

IMG_0597.JPG

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt

Not the best picture but I like this one. They were good Grand Parents.
I never met my birth Dad...I guess you call it...that marriage lasted a very short time.
William Carl Pruitt met my Mother when I was very small and he was visiting his twin Sister when he was still in the Navy. Korean war. He was the only Father that I knew. My Mother was a beauty and my Dad was a hard ass and hard worker. Union Electrician and like many in those days had alcohol issues. I left home at age 16 as an emancipated minor. My Mom is still going strong in Palmdale California.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

My dad was always telling jokes and we had a wonderful upper middle class upbringing

It wasn't until I was an adult that rumors of infidelity swirled around my father

Despite the accusations , my mom stayed with my dad but I always felt stress in the home when I would return for holidays

It's an early photo but still one of my favorites... it sure beats dad's current orange jumpsuit attire

View attachment 89584
I read that whole thing believing. You can take the hook out of my mouth any time now. 😔

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
View attachment 89588

Not the best picture but I like this one. They were good Grand Parents.
I never met my birth Dad...I guess you call it...that marriage lasted a very short time.
William Carl Pruitt met my Mother when I was very small and he was visiting his twin Sister when he was still in the Navy. Korean war. He was the only Father that I knew. My Mother was a beauty and my Dad was a hard ass and hard worker. Union Electrician and like many in those days had alcohol issues. I left home at age 16 as an emancipated minor. My Mom is still going strong in Palmdale California.
She was very pretty Bob. Unlike Fred, I can see the family resemblance in you too. 😎

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Dad about to turn 82. Mom 79.

Mom had serious bout with cancer and survived.

Dad had serious heart condition that wasn't detected for quite some time and with medication it is starting to control water retention and water around the heart.

We come from farming background in Northern North Dakota. All my grandparents and Great grandparents Red River Valley farmers at one point.

Dad was a band director and carpet cleaner. Said I wouldn't be like him... Thankful I maybe ended up more like him. He also drove school bus until couple of years ago. He had small stroke so couldn't continue.

Mom was an elementary school teacher for awhile. Quit after having kids. She went back to work as head cook for the school district then became special Ed Para after retiring her head cook position.

Brothers clean but they have also been under cover drug cop (Dave) and industrial technology engineer (Kirk) setting up factories and running production and such.

Right now parents just sold their house and moving to an apartment close to the hospital and assistance. It's hard seeing the parents age 😐

My grandparents lived well into their 90's...

It's time to go visit the parents soon!

20181224_161422.jpgFB_IMG_1553042055521.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator

View attachment 89584

Did you ever spy on your sister Lisa when she was showering?

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not the best photo, I have to dig through my albums. My mom was a farm girl who grew up on the south shore of Montreal. My dad was a city boy and they met at a barn dance in Sherbrooke Quebec. My mom was a stay at home mom and we always knew she would be there after school or to attend to our bruises and scrapes. She loved bird watching and gardening. She would always have time to play board games or cards with us kids. My dad had to leave school during the war years to help support the family as his dad, was overseas. At age 14 he was driving a bread truck. He made up for his loss of education by attending Magill university as a plumber. On his off hours he would sit in on various lectures. He knew a lot about medical procedures as that was his main interest. We were poor but didn't know it. We owned a little modest house on the north shore of Montreal. My dad never had a new car but always a reliable one. His favorite was a 1974 Chrysler Newport, fully loaded. We use to tease him about sitting in the drive way playing with all the buttons. My mom was a great knitter and we all had warm hats, mittens and sweaters. Even the dogs. My dad loved music and taught us to appreciate all forms. They are both gone now but fondly remembered by myself and my 2 sisters. We all agree that we had a marvelous childhood. What we lacked in material things we more than made up in the love and kind discipline from both my mom and dad.

IMG_20190320_085537.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom