Let's send John Burris to SFS in PA in 2 weeks

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Not sure if there is room or if he's interested, but someone mentioned it in an earlier post.

I think sending John to SFS if he's able and willing would be a great use of his recuperation time.

I'll pitch in and perhaps JonDon would assist with a slight price reduction. Even at full rate he should be able to attend plus room & board for under $1000.

Ken

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
What a wonderful gesture, Ken. I can't think of a better candidate for your generosity, guys, and John certainly could use the support of a great bunch of people in the class. (He might even learn a few things!)

Tell ya what. You guys get John to the class and fund his room and board and Jon-Don will comp his entire class. As part of the seminar we'll cover all of John's lunches plus dinner and drinks on Wednesday night plus if he needs transport we can provide that between the motel and the class every day.

Lisa, why don't you folks just send funds directly to JB as he will be using them personally? And Ken, I'll leave the conversation with John up to you. But count on Jon-Don for the class and coordinate everything with our branch manager in Langhorne, Glenn Evans at 800-400-9473. I would suggest calling ASAP as I know the class is filling quickly. (I will copy Glenn on this message.)

Steve

PS Thanks again for thinking of this, Ken. And what a great "band of brothers" this board is turning out to be. (When of course we are not squabbling like a bunch of bratty siblings- which I guess is what a family is all about!)

G

I wonder if JB gave Waldo any shit for his free ride to MF last year???

:wink:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Wow Steve, that is very generous of you and the folks at JonDon. After I made the post I felt a little guilty as I kind of put you on the spot.

I have left a voice mail or john and will post as soon as I hear back from him. I think sending him the money is the best way to handle it as well.

Let's get as many of us to send him a check for whatever you can spare, whether it be $5, or $100 and we'll raise enough for him to have a goo time as well as have a tremendous learning experience.

Ken

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I just talked to John and he doesn't have the words to express his appreciation to everyone on this board and JonDon.

He will be attending the class.

Yeah!

Ken
Ps Please send anything you can to John directly.

danpauselius

Guess he'll be needing one of those rooms with the big handles on either side of the toilet, LOL.

Glad he's gonna be there.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Can I write this off? LOL. I can send some money! Normally, I don't do stuff for people I don't really know or have a heart for, but after seeing people just comping trips and admission...I'm IN.

-JB-

Name
JB
Let me start off with...

Thank you all.

You are an incredibly, good and decent group of people, both personally and professionally. I could not have ever hoped for a better group of professionals to be associated with, or industry to have been blessed to be a part of.
I can't tell you how much the relationships I've forged w/many of you previous to the accident, who started this humbling out pouring of compassion mean to me. To those of you that i have met after the accident through private messages, e-mail to an fro with, and those of you who called me after the accident personally to offer support, and sent gifts, i am truly grateful.
You all give myself and others watching this drama unfold from a distance, quite a bar to live up to. I hope that the acts of generosity and compassion occurring, here on the "Bad Boys" bulletin board, will be picked up and reported upon by the "mainstream" sector of the industry. We need to make sure as many BDCC's, like myself, and many of you, know that there is a place for them right here on Mikey's Board. We can't do that if the only mention MB gets in the trade magazines is to be refereed to as, "Internet carpet cleaning forums", MB is so much more than that.
Over and over again, I read on other boards, that MB is a bunch of "potty mouths", and you had better have a thick skin if you log on here...BULLSHIT! (okay, maybe some of it's true, get over it!) What you do need here is to be an ethical, honest, competent, and apparently compassionate, person, period. If you are not all of the above, be prepared, you WILL be called out. Here on MB if you are a spade be prepared to be called a spade, perhaps that is where the thick skin warning comes in, if you cant handle that, i believe you introspection time ahead of you, so good luck. Any time I ever felt like I posted something that I was sure would be taken as aggressive, or combative, i have been shocked, not once has anyone on here, ''beat me up" over it as i presumed they would. In fact quite the opposite occurs, without fail the responses have been quite favorable, many times other guys will post that they agree completely, or had a similar experience, be it w/vendors, equipment, or chemicals. That type of criticism cannot always be expressed in conventional commercialized forums, yet thankfully, it is here on MB, in fact solely because of other industry/commercially supported forums, so to them a sincere thank you, as you paved the highway for this. MB, sort of came along as bulldozer, to clear the road of the obstacle left by suppliers, distributors, and special interest groups prohibiting truly open and honest discussions.
Special thanx to my dear friend, and very deserving "man of the year" Jim Pemberton, for inviting me to the world of Internet carpet cleaner forums, yes, believe it or not MB was my first, I was a bb virgin you might say. Before last October, i knew maybe 10-12 other CC's, with maybe 5 or 6 i would've considered friends. Fast forward less than 12 months, 1500+ known associates, a 100 or so CC's I've met personally from attending MF, and about 50 i would consider friends, about a dozen or so that i would say without reservation, i can trust my life with. Yes that is a very bold statement, also very true, as evident by recent events. If my accident had happened to me last year at this time, before MB, i shudder to think. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that, thanks to the biggest pain in the ass in the industry, Darren Lumpkin, sorry, i meant, Mikey P, and i say that with great respect.
I promise you all who have, and will help me through this, i will do all i can to validate the decision you made. It will be paid forward... GUARANTEED!

From the heart, Thank you-

Mike P, Jim P, Rob Lyon, Steve "Dusty" Roberts, Ken Snow, Ron Lippold, Jeremy Sweetland , Lisa & Greenie, Odin, Derek, Stevie B, Larry (meAT) Cappitoni, Tony Wheelwrite, Richard Chavez, Danny Strickland, Steve in Omaha, Waldo, Steve Toburen, and the powers that be of Jon-Don.

God bless you all.

Name
Ron lippold
amen

John you are a great guy that has helped many people here and most likley in life. It has been said that you reap what you sow. I say to everyone here Look In The Mirror, this should be a big wake up call to all of us. Anyway John enjoy the class, keep Mikey in Check, and take it easy. Your problems could be much worse.

Bob Foster

JB how is the business going in your absence? If it's going tell us about the challenges. It could be good for us to know how we might protect ourselves and also maybe some of us can help in some way.

Get well soon.

-JB-

Name
JB
Bob,

I'm quite certain that i will be the poster child for "what not to do," for the SFS I'm going to, and that's fine, as long as someone learns from it, i know i will.

The business has been dead in the water since the accident, luckily i have a real loyal client base so i trust I'll be okay. It could be worse, I could be just starting out. Disability insurance would be the one thing I'd highly recommend, but it's very expensive, and besides, who would want to file a claim against themselves?

Ken Snow was pretty insightful on all the different types of insurances available... Ken?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Good to see you are able to express the thoughts in writing that you have told me and I am sure many others the last few weeks John.

As for insurance there are 2 types that I think warrant at least discussing with your insurance agent (s).

1. Business Interruption~ can cover ongoing costs, including owners salary, and profit if a catastrophe occurs such as a fire or something else that destroys your functional assets. It will give funds for ongoing payments to vendors, leaseholders, utilities etc.

2. Short and/or Long Term Disability (STD & LTD) ~ covers loss of income for you and/or employees if disabled due to illness or injury. STD usually has waiting period of between 1-2 weeks from start date of injury/illness and can even be made longer to lower premium. LTD usually starts after 13 or 26 weeks, generally timed to kick in after STD has run out.

Ken

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
SFS

JB, Ken and others,

I am so glad that this is going to come together for JB. I left SFS early Friday morning to fly to Seattle for our Grand Opening of our newest store. On Thursday evening I had dinner with a few people and we had a long discussion about SFS. On Friday morning the 4 hour flight gave me plenty of time to reflect on the class I had just left. From people who had just started in business to others such as Aaron who was attending for the sixth time it was wonderful to see how everyone blended together as an extended family.

Last night I had the wonderful red eye flight at midnight. While waiting at SeaTac I had a chance to read the posts from this board concerning JB and his attendance at the Philly SFS. John and Nick were sitting with me and I explained what was going on. They loved the fact that this board along with Steve Toburen had banded together to help out JB.

SFS over the past few years has turned into an emotional experience for all involved regardless of whether you are a student, instructor or support person. Tonight as I watched the new Ken Burns film about World War II I thought of the miniseries "The Band of Brothers" I realized that our industry truly reflects the values of the Band of Brothers.

Sorry about the ramblings but I just wanted to thank everyone involved and I am just as excited today as I was in 1975 when I started in this industry.

Heres to your continued success and happiness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom