lets talk Parents..

F

FB7777

Good advice Steve

When my mom passed at 65 she was on vacation in Florida... Got to drive her to the airport, kiss her goodbye and tell her I love her and see her in a couple weeks

You only get one " last time "

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Doing pretty great, both are 64 just retired and loving life right now.

First thing they did was joined a gym and go everyday,on top of that dad bikes/walks daily and has his 1- 24oz of cheap beer.
Go on little trips all the time, cheap stuff mainly.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
They pulled the plumbing out today and he's doing much better. I was able to talk with him over the phone. Sounded real feisty. He has an oxygen mask on and as soon as he can breath without it they will run some heart tests to decide if he needs to go to either a nursing home or an assisted living situation

I asked if he wanted me to come out now and he preferred if I waited so we could go for a drive in Lockheart's Vette

Thanks to all of you, who knows your thoughts may have helped. .

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Good news Mike. There are so many people here who think the world of you, and through you... your father.

He did a good job raising you to be a man who has such capacity of decency, honor, and loyalty to his friends and associates.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Glad to hear he is doing better. Will be in my prayers .

I never met my father. Crazy mom would never let me meet him. Once the internet was invented I found him. Unfortunately he had taken his life when I was 12. Mom is a stubborn person. Won't listen to the doctors. Now she is on oxygen and can't go far and still won't listen to the doctors. What do you do.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good news Mike. There are so many people here who think the world of you, and through you... your father.

He did a good job raising you to be a man who has such capacity of decency, honor, and loyalty to his friends and associates.

wow, thank you Jim..

I know I've done alright on this ride when a man like you can be on my list of true friends.

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
My dad turned 90 this Spring and has always been the most healthy person I've known. In March he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. This has literally been the toughest summer of my life watching him suffer. I don't think he has much time left now. He has trouble walking, has terrible shoulder and leg pain, gets confused, and is all around miserable. I've been spending as much time as I can with him, but it's tough to watch him go through this.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My dad turned 90 this Spring and has always been the most healthy person I've known. In March he was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. This has literally been the toughest summer of my life watching him suffer. I don't think he has much time left now. He has trouble walking, has terrible shoulder and leg pain, gets confused, and is all around miserable. I've been spending as much time as I can with him, but it's tough to watch him go through this.

As hard as it is for you...spend every moment you can with him....I sat by my dads side for 2 weeks......watching one of the strongest people I know..just wither away.....It was the hardest 2 weeks I have ever spent in my life.....But I am so glad I was there...as hard as it was...I would of felt a lot worse if I was not by his side when he finally left......

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Thanks Jim and Richard. That's what I'm trying to do, is be there for him. Just spending time with him visiting and stuff. Every day there seems to be a new issue that comes up. It's not easy for him.

Reactions: Derek

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I called my parents 3 times today just thinking about this post.

I try to call them pretty regular at least daily, but the past few weeks have been crazy around here for everyone, and I just didn't get it done.

Back to making this a ritual.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Oh man, I just saw these latest posts. I'm so sorry to hear dad is not doing well, but glad to hear he has rallied some and is back to feisty.

We all have to go - ants, alligators, people, mortality is the rule and there is no escaping it, for some it comes sooner, some later. What matters is not how long you live, but what you filled that life with.

Take care,
Lisa

J

JS41035

I probably call dad at least once a day. I guess now that I'm grown with kids and a business. I appreciate him more. I loved my grandfather a lot. But he had a stroke when I was 14. I missed seeing him in his prime. I am starting to appreciate the relationship dad and him had. Who else can I call and argue CC stuff with ? We tell the same stories. Argue about the same chemicals. Plan a Truckmount that we both know we won't ever build. But it never gets old.
When you are a teen and you're told that you are just like your father, it drives you crazy. You only see flaws. Then you grow up,look at your own kids an hope you can be half as kind and patient to them as he was to you.

Mikey P

Administrator
Today's news..

While his heart is doing better he can't breath with out assistance.

They moved him out of ICU and will keep him there until they figure out a new living situation.

His spirit is very up but he's having a hard time deciphering his dreams from reality.

My nephew and his new wife visited him today, my dad knew who she was but did not recognize his grandson whom he lived with for 4 years...

Lots to figure out in the next week or so.

We talked again and he is so looking forward to listing to some Pattsy Cline while hitting the back roads in Lockheart's Vette. He said he while he hopes it's red, blue would do.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Stage 4 cancer had taken over.

Off to Texas tomorrow night to help transfer him to hospice.

Whats Kleenex stock at right now?

Sorry to hear that mike.

I thought it was more of a general thread and didnt read closely enough.
Never lost a parent but lost couple close friends and can only imagine the pain.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I'm sorry, a good hospice can really make all the difference for maintaining comfort and quality of life as long as possible. I hope he gets the best.

How is mom doing?

Take care,
Lisa

Al_Paulsen

Keeping a good thought for you Mike. Lisa is right Hospice is great for him and the family. I donate to them here every year for their help with my Mom.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
let me know if you need anything at all. i can be over in 30 minutes or so, so just give me a call.

and just let me know if the old man wants a ride, i have no problem taking him for a spin.

again call me if anything.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Mikey, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers and positive vibes being sent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom