lid update

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I called blue line and they sent me out a tube of glue and a rubber gasket........ so I cleaned out the old one (what was left) and installed the new one......... I was not getting all warm and fuzzy about this as I was putting it in ...

100_3573.jpg

well I was right.. I bet I lost 3 inch of vacuum today.......the tank lid was leaking so bad I could here it sucking air almost inside the house........

In all fairness.I bet this would work fine if I had the lip around the edge of the tank but seeing how I don't the gasket is(for the lack of a better way of putting it) to foamy to get a good suction on it.........

So for a few hundred I did the lid swap out from A/T................ should be here in a few days.............. light day tomorrow and the truck is off the asphalt for a day to get service so it should be ok............ I hope......

Attachments

• 100_3573.jpg
    100_3573.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 149

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
My Hydramaster tank leaked. So I found the leaking area and put a rag over the lip and sealed the lid down on top. Might work until you get you new lid. Of coarse if it leaks all around your are screwed. A rag is only good for one area.

When I bought my V the tank lid leaked from the get go. AT told me it was out of round and take a rubber hammer to the leaking area. It worked!

I checked my lid today. 1200 hours and the the seal looks perfect. Not one little crack. I am the lucky one.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
No lip, it has some sharp edges but they haven't done anything to the gasket yet.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
100_3529.jpg

give it time.as heavy as it is if she is pulling right that lids has to be flexing and it will break it down sooner or later............ I have a Idea when the new lid comes in that I am going to try so this won't happen again..if it works like I think it will I will post a picture.........

Attachments

• 100_3529.jpg
    100_3529.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 155

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
d.smith said:
Thats service beyond the sale. Good thing AT stepped up.

Blue line stepped up also and I really think that this is a cheaper fix for someone with a lip.........(but if you have a lip you should not be having this problem)........ It just cant get a seal with out the lip......... to soft

Thats service beyond the sale. Good thing AT stepped up.

Lets see AT makes a lid with claims of the longest lasting gasket ever and it fails in 3 years the charges a cleaner to fix it and you call it sale after the service ?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Blueline has fixed the problem with the new lip, but us with the old lid may still have a problem. My prochem lid had to be fixed every year. The Hydramaster has a rubber (thing) that fits perfectly over the lip of the tank. I think something like that would stop the metal lip from cutting into the gasket. My Hydramaster is out working for the night but I will post pics of the rubber (thing) tomorrow. I think it may stop the lid from cutting into the gasket.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My HM lid gasket had to be replaced at least twice a year that thing flexed so bad you could stand there and watch the center of the lid pull in............

there GOOD gasket material is to stiff with the metal running threw it to put on the lip of the V, tank (I had a piece laying in the garage and tried it ) I does not like to mold itself with out cracking........the lip is much wider then the HM

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Well I guess that answers that.

What can we put over the sharp lid to stop it from cutting into the gasket?

G

How about trying real gasket material...instead of that crap that they use as gasket material that is actually weatherstripping?

redbird

Look in the auto parts store, They have those chrome edge DOOR GUARDS. They should fit on the rim and not ruin the gasket.....??????

Greenie

I'm actually kinda surprised the BL fix didn't take.

You would think even a "soft" gasket would still seal under vacuum?

I'll bet your tank it's self is actually slightly out of round, did you try leaning on it while under full vacuum, it just might "pop" as the lid settled in, I know that is pretty much how Mikey does his to get the lid to settle just right.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good point.

I cant really say if it's my lid or my tank that's out of round but I do have to forcibly lean on it the get the tank's rim and the lid's gasket trough to line up.

Your's could be out as well.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Chris Muetterties said:
The BL fix worked for me. 4 months and still working.

Does yours have the lip

I will try leaning into it today and see what it does...........

by "out of round" do you mean warped ?.......

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I was told that the vacuum on the seal is 6,000 lbs. per sq. inch and AT had a hard time finding any gasket that would hold up to that, the gasket material they use now is the best they have found up to this point.

TLC

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Lid is warped.....................

I beat it for everything it was worth with a mallet and she sucked right down.........but you could still here it sucking wind in areas.

going to go ahead and swap it out with the one coming from A/T(hopefully with a straighter one) so maybe I won't have to many problems with it in the future
I put a straight edge on the top of the tank and went around it and it seems fine........

still.........not sure I really care for the gasket material that I replaced from the old lid

I think the material is just to spongy to create a good seal that will last as long as the poured/molded seal.....

But.....I could be wrong....

thanks for every ones help.........

Greenie

" Lid is warped..................... "

So it's always leaked like this from day one?

G

Jim,

I don't know why your gasket is that bad. I just looked at mine and it is perfect. It looks like new. My truck was picked up in July of 2005 and I have over 1200 hours on it. With the way it looks I fully expect in another 1200 hours it should look the same.

I can tell you once a week we take the lid off and clean out the tank. I know your truck was for sale for a long time. Maybe the lid got stuck on and it damaged the gasket pulling the lid off.

Dave

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't think it has been leaking from day one
did not sound like it anyway

never had a vacuum problem until I replaced the seal...... once I did that I lost some until I beat it. Pretty sure I could not warp something like that by gluing in a new rubber seal....................

Dave........don't know ................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom