lid update

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
at least people can read it and are trying to help...........

and trust me.it would floor you all the calls and email I have gotten...........

it is nice to know there are great people still out there that think of others and not themselves only.........

Greenie

Jim, lids and tanks don't "warp" in use, it's always been that way for sure.
I'm willing to bet you've always had vac leakage with the old seal, just really noticed it when to applied the new seal as everything was subject to stricter tolerances now and it was more likely to "hang up" on the less than perfect circle of the tank, which you have now discovered.

The irony of all of this is...If the tank was perfect as was the lid, the thing would not be likely to stay put when you hit speed bumps and such, that lil' bit of side load keeps it secure in the process.

Looking back on all of this, and remembering your "water in the hose" experience, it makes sense, as I never ever heard of a V owner saying that happened to them.
So the question is...Do you still have water in the hose when wrapping up?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Yep...........I still have the water in the hose problem........

The only way I could judge the lid is by the lift gage The lift has always been a issue but I can never really get a good answer from no one and once I replaced the gasket with the newer stuff it got worse .........after beating it with the mallet it seemed better but I am still having water in the hose.........and some air leaks........

I think it is a combination of the gasket (you are more then likely right) and the relief spring thingy

If you remember I wanted to put one of your knuckle vales on it but everyone was saying no not for a single o/o single wand taboo shit.....so I have just been living with it......figure one day it would go out and I would just have it fixed and be done with it.............

Got to remember .we are dry here in the desert and even with a air leak we dry carpets faster then Chem Dry (lol)

Greenie

eh' you can always try out a 3" Bayco for the cost of shipping, I've got a used one here that someone exchanged, if you wanna give it a go just let me know via phone, at least you will know for sure.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
thanks... but before I get into that now...let me go back and re ask a few questions that I posted when I first got this monster and started working and learning it.........

At 1500 rpm (on the gage) what should my lift ( on the gage) normally read (give or take)

does the spring seat itself at a certain pressure ??

Is it pre set ????.......... is it adjustable.??

do we know what the pressure is that it seats normally (give or take)

this is really the only area of the machine that I have not learned...everything else I have gone threw redid to my liking or just replace because I did not like it......

Take into consideration.... I have worked with this almost right away since it hit Tucson.....the noises and pitches that I am a custom to hearing and paying attention to may not be right...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

new lid is warped...............

isn't there anyone in this industry that can send something without some type of problem..............

years of being a electrician..... 100's of pieces and parts......... and wires sizes and.step the power up......... step the power down........BLAH BLAH BLAH.......and if you cut of 4 of my fingers I could still count how many times things got messed up with a order or a part on that same hand..........

If that industry ran like this one over half the homes across the nation would burn to the ground because of electrical fires...........

OK ......... I feel better....new lid will be here in a few days...

Greenie

looking at how our home is wired, I just kinda chuckle at Jim's statement.

So the lid is actually warped, I mean can you see it clearly?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this one I sit on the tank and I get a 1/2 inch rocking motion in it no matter how I turn it....... on all sides of the tank not in one spot on the tank.....so I know it is the lid

The old lid did not rock at all it just (apparently) did not sit all the way down in some areas.......

this one just wobbles............

set it on a flat surface and I can see a raise

bad thing I guess about this lid swap thing it that you are not getting a new lid some other poor saps that blew a gasket and had to do a swap and they just clean it up and wait for another pigeon and send it back out

it could of been dropped or who knows what........

p.s..if I am ever over that way I will fix your home........

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim

My lid will sit with the inner wall of the trough resting on the tank's rim.
So I have to really lean on it to get the rim into the trough..
Make sense?

Take a 5/8 hose and cut it down the middle and put it over the edge put the lid on and turn on the truck and suck the lid down . FIXED

Kemp

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I guess the 5/8th hose would stop the sharp tank edge from cutting into the gasket as well.

Those Waterfalls are sharp cookies.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mikey P said:
I can only imagine the riot that would have occurred if Blue Line had sent you a warped lid...

I would not think that Blue line would send a warped lid........ I think that I would have been way over charged to have to buy a new one due to the fact that they haven't gotten there feet wet enough yet to have used refurbished warped ones laying around........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
what ever it cost........same as anyone.......I got to have it..........

That is where they have us by the short hairs...........

Look at my old seal I had to pay $500 to get a lid sent here from A/T.once I get it I have to ship back the old one and I get $300 sent back to me.....

So in the end I paid $200 for a old used lid that just has a new seal.........
When I took the old lid off and looked at it .the rubber seal that I got from blue line rolled in 3 spots.........How this was possible I don't know.The glue was more then dry and I applied it just as it said......and you can see where it separated itself from the glue......who knows

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
that was what I was talking about to try but I don't think 5/8 rubber it the answer because it may cut into it.Look at the seal it cuts into that

They have this 3/8 neoprene that they use for some applications of water

lines..very tough stuff........and flex-able........big enough to fit over the lip but small enough to give it room to seat...........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
yep I bet your right

but it's not like I am not running I'm not shut down.........

I think it would take more then that to shut it down....look at Mike

he cleans with his drain open....I only have a lid leak

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I am sorry, I thought it wouldn't lock down at all. Leaving you without a machine to clean with. You are right a leak just makes noise, but whats a little more noise standing next to a screaming V? :?

Greenie

that's not noise, that is vacuum relief...lol

Is it realy that hard to make a straight lid?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
according to who I talked with today the lids are easy its the tank that's a bitch..............

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
I just removed my gasket and gained a one and a half inch of lift. No sucking. Pure metal on metal : )...and that's with the top and bottom relief valves pulled open.

Name
Lee Stockwell
My 160 gallon ss tank has no removable lid, just three 2.5" ports welded on. One drain, one to the blower, and one to the hose. My dad and I built it over twenty years ago for a bane machine, still works fine. The only filter is between the tank and blower. An internal filter just reduces capacity. It can be cleaned with the pressure wand as needed. Usually not needed, just drain and rinse.

Justin is building me a 21st Century version that is a little bigger.

You don't need a monstrosity lid and gasket to see inside your waste tank if it's designed and working properly. Do you have a lid on your gas tank?

steve r

jim if i were you id take it to a local job shop(machine shop) and see what they can do.id bet someone could solve your problem for good by making a proper fitting part or making a modification on the tank also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom