Life of diesel fuel

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
My partner and I are thinking about picking up a used boat and fixing it up. We can get it for practically nothing and I think it would be a fun project. It has twin ford diesels and has about 100+ gals of fuel currently in the tanks. It has sat for 3 years. Do the tanks have to be drained and cleaned out or is it possible that we can run them down and then change the filters? We are not concerned with the cost of the fuel but what do we do with the old stuff? logistically it would be a pain in the neck to get rid of.

Any thoughts?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I’d be concerned.

Diesel is hydrophilic it’s also prone to bacteria & mold growth over time so it builds up sludge & moisture additionally diesel starts to breakdown in months without stabilizers. You might want to pull a sample and see what it looks & smells like disposing of 100 gallons of bad diesel is cheaper than a injections system rebuild and a tank clean out

If you really want to burn it off Change the filers first then add fuel system stabilizer & cetain boost to the tanks I’d also prime lines & filer with fresh diesel

http://www.powerservice.com/cd/

Name
Al
I have a lot of experience with this problem buying large used generators. You should find a company to "Polish" your fuel for about .40 per gallon. The bacteria that grows in the tank can be hard to filter out plus it can grow on the sides of the tank and clog fuel filters. IF you have this problem just cleaning the fuel is not enough.

Al Bradham
Carpet Care Services & DisasterCare
Called To Care...
843-693-1300 Mobile

Back
Top Bottom