Linen cushions gone bad at the Dry Cleaners..

Mikey P

Administrator
Our realtor sent her cushion covers to her dry cleaner.
She says they looked great but over a months time, this happened...

IMG950279.jpg
IMG950278.jpg

Frame is ok.
She doesn't know if the washed or used solvent
Down filled
Cushion bag looks good...

IMG950281.jpg

What do you think @Jim Pemberton?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
May have had optical brighteners added to the drycleaning solution. Time and exposure to light can sometimes cause them to react and turn brown.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I always thought that optical brighteners just made the color fade and get weak. So it also makes it brown???? I learned something new today

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It's difficult to know, as dry cleaners use a variety of solvents, and as of late, wet clean more than their customers know.

Residues of recycled solvents can cause discoloration, but usually that's immediately evident. Flame retardant reaction is a possibility, especially since the chemistry involved is unknown.

I know it seems that I always point to down filled cushions as the cause of such things, but it's a common variable that seems to be present in many fabric discoloration issues.

Do you need to mess with this?

I'm loathe to ever recommend becoming involved in another cleaner's problem, even a dry cleaners.

Late note: Now that I have had more time to look at those pictures, I'm almost certain that discoloration is from flame retardant. Its the right color, and the right pattern. I've been able to correct red discoloration, but not brown.

You can try it, but I doubt it will help.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
no expert but any issues I've seen with upholstery have appeared while on the job or as its dryed an hr or so down the road..

seems weird that taken that long to appear as a problem to me?

the handwritten number on cushion bag looks like it has possibly been in contact with a solvent?

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
1. Apply ammonia (stuff you get from the store, but not the lemon or foamy type).

2. Apply sodium bicarbonate. Start with a tablespoon to a quart of warm water, then keep adding until no more will stay in solution.

IF it works (it never has for me on brown staining from flame retardant), you'll need to brush and vacuum it when its dry, as it will be stiff and have a white haze on it from the sodium bicarbonate.

This is assuming I'm right about the flame retardant. Dry cleaners do some crazy stuff behind the scenes, and there are a multitude of other things that this could be.

Reactions: DAT

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think that's best.

The old saying that its better not to know how laws and sausages are made applies as well to what dry cleaners do with clothing and draperies...and cushion covers.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The non browned fabric seem to have lots of brown specs which could mean some un-refined cotton in the blend. (Cotton seed- cause browning).
How sure are you that it is 100% linen?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom