Linoleun cleaning - anyone?

richard

Name
Richard Weedman
I have a customer asking me if I clean linoleum - which I don't. I told her I would research it and get back to her.
It can't be brain surgery but could use some insight/direction from those that have experience in this.
I have a Cimex, 2 speed rotary, OP, SX-12 and a truckmount. How can I best use these tools to clean this linoleum?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Strip
Neutralize and rinse
Apply finish.
Sounds like your short a mop, bucket and rihger- Apply the stripper and keep it moving, you can use a 175 if it's really thick with old wax, but watch how aggressive a pad you use. Vac it off and rinse with a neutralizer, if you want you can then fresh water rinse. Use a silky mop head to apply the finish, burnish if you want. Is there a few years of Mop and Glo on it?

This infomercial was brought to you by Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, chartered accountants. BTW- Ultrachem labs makes some killer floor finishes. www.ultrachemlabs.com

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
richard said:
I have a customer asking me if I clean linoleum - which I don't. I told her I would research it and get back to her.
It can't be brain surgery but could use some insight/direction from those that have experience in this.
I have a Cimex, 2 speed rotary, OP, SX-12 and a truckmount. How can I best use these tools to clean this linoleum?

Well..I don't do it much anymore, But if there is wax build up on it use a stripper with your scrubber and brush remove all of the the old wax,.I hope you have a mop and bucket with a wringer after you strip it go over it with a rinse, you can use the bucket and map to do this your truckmount to rinse and extract. If you want. Put a blower on it to dry it in a few minutes, Than you can put a sealer if you want and wax, Or just a couple of coats of wax. you need a new map head to apply the wax. Dry it with your blower if you want, And thats it. Oh.. You can go to Home Depot and buy everything you need, No need to spend a bunch of money for some designer stuff. :mrgreen:

hogjowl

Idiot™
Wait a minute. Let's not get all excited here and tell the dude to do something that may not be necessary. Is this in a residential setting, like a kitchen or b'fast room? Could you actually be talking about sheet vinyl instead of linoleum? I mean, I don't think linoleum has been made in years.

You probably only need to mop on you normal traffic lane cleaner and rinse with a spinner tool. You MIGHT need to scrub it, and if you do you can use a white pad before you rinse.

Do NOT put any topical coating on it without discussing it with the customer first. It may be a waste of her money and create an uneccessary maintenance issue for her down the road.

The only thing I have ever worried about with TM cleaning a vinyl floor is the seams. Installers are really bad about not sealing the seams properly and I worry about causing the floor to separate at the seams. So, I usually won't run the spinner over a seam.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
hogjowl said:
Wait a minute. Let's not get all excited here and tell the dude to do something that may not be necessary. Is this in a residential setting, like a kitchen or b'fast room? Could you actually be talking about sheet vinyl instead of linoleum? I mean, I don't think linoleum has been made in years.

You probably only need to mop on you normal traffic lane cleaner and rinse with a spinner tool. You MIGHT need to scrub it, and if you do you can use a white pad before you rinse.

Do NOT put any topical coating on it without discussing it with the customer first. It may be a waste of her money and create an uneccessary maintenance issue for her down the road.

The only thing I have ever worried about with TM cleaning a vinyl floor is the seams. Installers are really bad about not sealing the seams properly and I worry about causing the floor to separate at the seams. So, I usually won't run the spinner over a seam.

You can't use the spinner on a flat tile floor. I tried it, The damn suction kept that thing stuck to the floor, I ended up just using my wand on it. My instructions were mainly for commercial style floors. Your right though, You would use a stripper only if there is wax build up, And don't use the scubber on that peel & stick crap.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Shoot man, I use my spinner tool even on VCT.

And I have a freaking Vortex!

Your spinner must not have a brush on it.

The term linoleum is probably what has us on different sides of the fense. He has to be talking about commercial vct, or residential vinyl.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
what Marty said

sx-12 and tm I was told not to use heat though, could cause problems

spinner works great cause you can flush out the little crevices some vinyls have that are difficult or impossible to get clean by hand

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Shoot man, I use my spinner tool even on VCT.

And I have a freaking Vortex!

Your spinner must not have a brush on it.

I don't know, I do have a brush on my spinner. I did a regular tile job with it for the first time last week, I've only used it on ceramic previously. I could barley push that thing maybe it was the tile 30 year old trashed out, in a tire shop. Like I said I used the wand. :x

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
better find out what it actually is and what wax is one it before you try to clean it

could be sheet vinyl, linoleum or marmoleum

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
hogjowl said:
I forgot to mention that my spinner comes with a relief valve on it. If it's not cracked, then my tool will lock down too.

I don't have a relief valve on mine. its probably 6yrs old wonder why?

richard

Name
Richard Weedman
I don't know yet if it has been waxed, sheet goods or linoleum. It is a house.
I have a brush head with relief valve on the SX-12. I do have a mop and bucket Too.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well there ya go! You probably have everything you'll probably need. It would be nice if you had a rotary, but not absolutley necessary.

I've used a vapor steamer cleaner if you have a vapor steamer or a steam mop, depends on what the need is. Works well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom